Volti Audio klipschorn upgrades

Shakeydeal

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Never had Khorns and Jubes at the same time, but I though they both occupied the same footprint when in the corners?

I thought those big ol' mid horns were wider than 26" ? I don't think I have a room big enough to fully enjoy the output potential of the Jubes.

7 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I don't think I have a room big enough to fully enjoy the output potential of the Jubes.

The K-402 midhorn provides way better polar control in smaller rooms. It would seem to be counter intuitive, but they work extremely well in smaller spaces. They are big, though... 🙄

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I concur with this statement.

Having owned just about every big Klipsch product and designing/building full and tapped bass horns, I must agree with your notion about LaScalas and Horn subs.........when correctly implemented, of course.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marvel said:

The K-402 midhorn provides way better polar control in smaller rooms. It would seem to be counter intuitive, but they work extremely well in smaller spaces. They are big, though... 🙄

This is in fact very true. I used a 942 setup in my small 11x12ish room with super results.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I think they do that in any space. Hard to imagine what they do until you get a set to play with.

The footprint for the Jubilee is "the same" as the Khorn but in absolute terms, it's going to go down the wall a bit further than the Khorn.

Still.....if someone has room for Khorns, no, let me rephrase this a bit....  if someone has (what I recall was 34 inches) of free space down both walls (measuring from the corner) then you have room for Jubilee's.

If you have a window get in the way like I did, it won't matter because you can pull them slightly away from the wall and as long as you're within about 10" from the corner, you won't lose any bass extension.

I agree with Marvel, it is counter-intuitive but the larger the horn, the better it will be for a small room.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Having owned just about every big Klipsch product and designing/building full and tapped bass horns, I must agree with your notion about LaScalas and Horn subs.........when correctly implemented, of course.

I'm using two tapped horns, placed directly next to each other and directly behind the La Scalas, and treated as a single subwoofer by my AVR (my QSC amp has the ability internally split a single input signal to both output channels). I haven't done any granular EQ work, but with just my AVR's implementation of Audyssey they blend really well and finish out the bottom end nicely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I thought those big ol' mid horns were wider than 26" ? I don't think I have a room big enough to fully enjoy the output potential of the Jubes.

They are closer to 40" wide. Have a pair downstairs unused right now, but too lazy to measure.

23 hours ago, Coytee said:

I agree with Marvel, it is counter-intuitive but the larger the horn, the better it will be for a small room.

Big horns are great in any size room. The smaller ROOMS just needing very few watts vs. the bigger ones. IOW, only 50 vs. 100 MILLIwatts. LOL.

• Like 1

BTW: if you're considering Jubilees, I recommend Klipsch-made Jubilee bass bins (only), i.e., I don't recommend bass bins or clones based on the diy "Jubilee bass bin" cross-sectional layout found on this forum and elsewhere.  If you have questions on this subject...PM me.

Chris

On 7/29/2019 at 9:31 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

So, Mr. Nobody (schu) are those DIY Belles yours?

Those are Simon Mears Audio Ucello speakers.  Like Belles on steroids and are about $12,800 in US money.  Man, I should start building empty Belle cabinets as a side job.   Hmmm....

https://www.dagogo.com/simon-mears-audio-ucello-3-way-horn-loudspeaker-review/

http://simonmearsaudio.com/uccello-horn-loudspeakers.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Those are Simon Mears Audio Ucello speakers.  Like Belles on steroids and are about $12,800 in US money.  Man, I should start building empty Belle cabinets as a side job.   Hmmm....

As someone who has spent a lot of time and MONEY in my "better horns for all" Audio Hobby, I'm reminded of an old saying describing Texans who would describe somone who's "just a talker and poser" about other people's property as "Big Hat, no cattle!" Not sayin' this is the case here, but it comes to mind with these types of discussions. It should be let's see YOUR speakers. Agreed?

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

I would think something similar would be the Belle bass bin with Fastlane's Eliptrac 400 along with the Conical horn tweeter.  I actually have both of those, the Eliptrac built into the top hat of a belle with a B&C 2" driver, same with the conical tweeter.  But never listened to them as I received K402s about the same time, the drivers went on the K402s and its been history ever since.  Oh and I don't have ALK's Extreme slope networks either, so that held me back as well. 

16 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

As someone who has spent a lot of time and MONEY in my "better horns for all" Audio Hobby, I'm reminded of an old saying describing Texans who would describe somone who's "just a talker and poser" about other people's property as "Big Hat, no cattle!" Not sayin' this is the case here, but it comes to mind with these types of discussions. It should be let's see YOUR speakers. Agreed?

"Not sayin' this is the case here"

Of course you are, otherwise you wouldn't bring it up in the first place.