Volti Audio klipschorn upgrades

Shakeydeal

30 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Let's steer this one back on course a bit, shall we?

Any more testimonials to Volti upgrades, or other 2" horn/driver combos?

Shakey

How many actual Volti upgrades were spoken of here by actual OWNERS, IOW, not talking or showing picture of OPS, Other People's Speakers? I spent a lot of time with "Mr. Volti," Greg in Chicago (several large beers were involved) and we discussed many things involving Audio. Heard all of his speakers, but since I didn't actually DO the upgrades (which would have been downgrades for me), there wasn't much else for me to say. I do have horns similar to the ones he makes, which is basically a Bruce Edgar design horn, so Yes I have one of those, slightly larger,  NOT made by Volti, so what?? It still self-disqualifies me from posting about OWNERSHIP, which is what the OP was asking about, not Hearsay or someone else's pictures., that being my point and NOT what Y'all took it to say. There 'aint no "other words" here other than literally what I said, Mr. FinallygotmyHeresies. Once again, low on real data, fast on wrong opinion!

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

How many actual Volti upgrades were spoken of here by actual OWNERS, IOW, not talking or showing picture of OPS, Other People's Speakers? I spent a lot of time with "Mr. Volti," Greg in Chicago (several large beers were involved) and we discussed many things involving Audio. Heard all of his speakers, but since I didn't actually DO the upgrades (which would have been downgrades for me), there wasn't much else for me to say. I do have horns similar to the ones he makes, which is basically a Bruce Edgar design horn, so Yes I have one of those, slightly larger,  NOT made by Volti, so what?? It still self-disqualifies me from posting about OWNERSHIP, which is what the OP was asking about, not Hearsay or someone else's pictures., that being my point and NOT what Y'all took it to say. There 'aint no "other words" here other than literally what I said.

Well alrighty then............

On 7/31/2019 at 6:12 PM, joshnich said:

I do not have experience with Volti upgrades, but I do own a pair of his Rival speakers. Have to say that if the drivers are the same in the rivals as he uses for upgrades, I would highly endorse the move. 

Josh

I spent a lot of time with Greg, over the course of 3 days in Chicago during Axpona several years back. It taught me that he's a "greatest hits" type seeker of high fidelity, heavily influenced by Klipsch designs (having MCM horn stacks in his shop contributed to this), his impeccable construction skills, and good taste in music.

There are lots of people in the world who build speakers. The DIY kind, of which I have been one since I was 12 years old (and huge Klipsch Owner), the big corporate category like Klipsch and JBL, and everything in between. Greg is a one man band who probably makes not more that a few dozen speakers a year using the best materials and off the shelf drivers he can find (he tried and sold off many, like I have).  This is also what Danley Sound Labs does for the "Really Big Stuff" for Stadiums.

Starting with veneer upgrades to Khorns, he now makes his own CURVED plywood laminates to use in his handcrafted, precision construction (no stinkin' MDF for that boy!), great non-CNC tools are used in his new Tennessee shop. He caters to the "high end" market, not high volume.

He has selected the best performing drivers, in his OPINION without regard to cost, unlike the bean counters in the large corporations. While "high end" audio may be a shrinking market, there are still enough customers who have more money that engineering knowledge that appreciate good looking speakers that make great recordings sound good in their living rooms.

After a few beers, he was complaining about how much work it was to make 2 separate Cabinets for the Alura (not economically or sonically justifiable), which is priced lower than his top of the line Vittora (Short Horn Bass).   So I simply told him he needs to come up with a single cabinet design, which resulted in the Rival. The Rival, could be called a "Super Cornwall," basically as a 3-way bass reflex, like the old JBL 300, but it's the "high end" price range and not for cheapskate, used Klipsch guys that permeate this forum (there, I spoke the truth, 'cause I'm one of you). I'm sure after the alcohol wore off, he realized he wanted/needed to do it all along, but I hope the extra push from me had, at least, some small amount of influence. LOL.

No question that the Cornwall has always been a terrific "bang for the buck" compromise speaker (not a Khorn, Jubilee, MCM, or even a KPT-942/4-B THX), but where looks for the wife are important than big boy sound, it's a great compromise indeed.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 8:13 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

. . . not for cheapskate, used Klipsch guys that permeate this forum (there, I spoke the truth, 'cause I'm one of you).

You talkin’ to me?  

Of course you are.  There is no way I will ever be in the market for new Klipsch products, other than possibly earbuds.  Volti products are totally out of the picture, due to cost, not appearance or performance, which appear to be exceptional.  Between DIY and used, I’m fully speakered up.  Even the Klipsch The Sixes recently acquired for one of my sons were purchased from a forum member.  I have successfully encouraged others to buy Klipsch, new and used.

In some ways Klipsch is a victim of its own success.  On one hand, as is often stated, no other speaker company has made products and designs that endure like Klipsch Heritage.  Klipsch ends up competing with itself.  On the other hand, few, if any, other speaker builders have the loyal following and quantity of still functioning product in the field.

How many times has a newbie come to the forum asking about replacing old Klipsch woofers, only to be told that, absent physical trauma, the cloth surround woofers used in Klipsch Heritage last indefinitely?  I applaud and encourage those with the resources and appetite for new Klipsch.  In some ways I wish I were one of them, but the DIY gene is too embedded in my DNA.  Could I have purchased a sports car for less than I invested in the Buick aluminum V8 powered Rotus I built?  You bet, but that would not have scratched my DIY itch.  While guilty as charged on the cheapskate issue, thriftiness is not the only motivator.

EF559110-9E1D-48E2-BF98-0D20A8211EC2.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree with Diz on his post. Same rules apply to me.

@Shakeydeal to your point. I have had in the same room, at the same time, hooked up to the same amp (NAD) with remote speaker switching capabilities - two sets of Belles. One set mostly stock ( updates: 4500 x over, 125 tweets, Kappa15c woofer) and a fully "upgraded" Volti set of Belles. see below.

post-60988-0-01480000-1456691182_thumb.jpg

I only heard improvements on very few songs/occasions. Was impressed but not overly. BUT, I forced my wife, kids (4) and several friends to listen and give me their comments. Every one of them preferred the Volti. No one thought there was a huge difference but all picked the same. I personally have very selective hearing. I can detect crap very readily, but don't pick up on subtle differences. I was about 58 at the time of the test, so my hearing is on the downward slide.

Again, I got these on the cheap. Basically paid about 60% of what the upgrades cost and got a free set of Belles thrown in (all old parts included in the sale)

If you can afford it, go for it, you will (or should) hear an improvement.

Is it the best bang for the buck, I have absolutely no idea.

7 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

I was about 58 at the time of the test, so my hearing is on the downward slide.

Hearing loss is an issue.  I’m 70 with significant high frequency hearing loss.  So much so that I frequently force my Millennial sons to listen to my system for anomalies I can’t detect.

5 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Hearing loss is an issue.  I’m 70 with significant high frequency hearing loss.  So much so that I frequently force my Millennial sons to listen to my system for anomalies I can’t detect.

I had my hearing tested at work within the past year. I did better than I thought. BUT I have since quit worrying about tweeters that don't go above 16khz.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

This is the main reason why I prefer tweeters that are flat to way above 12.3 Khz. which is where my hearing falls off (to much time in front of Marshall amps in Garage bands in my youth). A response that is contained in all of my mods published here. 

On 8/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, Dave A said:

But why?

On 8/2/2019 at 8:47 AM, DizRotus said:

You talkin’ to me?  

Of course you are.  There is no way I will ever be in the market for new Klipsch products, other than possibly earbuds.  Between DIY and used, I’m fully speakered up.  Even the Klipsch The Sixes recently acquired for one of my sons were purchased from a forum member.  I have successfully encouraged others to buy Klipsch, new and used.

In some ways Klipsch is a victim of its own success.  On one hand, as is often stated, no other speaker company has made products and designs that endure like Klipsch Heritage.  Klipsch ends up competing with itself.  On the other hand, few, if any, other speaker builders have the loyal following and quantity of still functioning product in the field.

How many times has a newbie come to the forum asking about replacing old Klipsch woofers, only to be told that, absent physical trauma, the cloth surround woofers used in Klipsch Heritage last indefinitely?  I applaud and encourage those with the resources and appetite for new Klipsch.  In some ways I wish I were one of them, but the DIY gene is too embedded in my DNA.  Could I have purchased a sports car for less than I invested in the Buick aluminum V8 powered Rotus I built?  You bet, but that would not have scratched my DIY itch.  While guilty as charged on the cheapskate issue, thriftiness is not the only motivator.

I actually was not talking to you (myself and a whole lot of others in that category) and it was not accusatory, but more of a "yanking yer chain" teasing manner to everyone in general.

The only new Klipsch speakers I ever bought were my original pair of Khorns (Birch style C) which was my very first Bank Loan at 23 years old, and subsequent cash purchase of a center channel LaSCala to replace what would would have been called a DIY "Cornscala" back in 1977, and to replace my DIY 20 cubic foot Altec monstrosities (Khorns were actually smaller). Oh, and also two sets of Klipsch computer speakers were gotten new and one sold to a friend who has adapted them as his main stereo. Got a pair of used Walnut Khorns from my brother in the new millenium because my other brother's friend begged me to sell them to him when the Walnut ones became available to me. Those were sold to HPower in Toronto, and, a few months later my original mono LaScala. He later sold me his fabulous Jubilee Clones which are now back in Toronto with another buyer.

Because of my influence, most of my friends, family and acquaintances ended up with Khorns, Cornwalls, LaScalas, or Heresy's (too many of these to count) over the last 42 years. In fact, I even talked a Highland Appliance salesman into buying Quad Heresy's from my Klipsch dealer instead of a pair Altec Model 19's which he could have gotten at his own dealer cost from his employer!  This is back in the days of Quad, which, like PWK,  I never liked, but the salesman did.

Unlike a used car, which will eventually rust out and wear out to a mere $100 value at the scrap yard,  Klipsch heritage can be bought used, cleaned up, and upgraded with more expensive raw components, since the principles of good design in accordance with the laws of physics. Those laws are never violated or tainted with marketing BS and the "cheapskate" can buy the best components without regard for production cost that the company always has to factor in..

So Neal, the fact that you put your efforts into speakers that made the most sense for your particular space, whether using a used Klipsch Box, or making one with new materials of the same volume and dimensions, adding a port for more bass, and using better drivers where it counts, is still a commendable thing. I especially like your choice of have 4 small tapped horns for better sub bass distribution, in tune with the Todd Welti research on optimum number of subs and their placement. You don't need to defend your choices to me or anyone else as, I'm sure, you have better sound than 99.8% of the US population now, and the fact that you didn't break the bank or get divorced to do it is also commendable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and one more thing (like Steve Jobs used to say), the Heresy is the most PHASE COHERENT of the entire Heritage line, by way of it's smaller size all around, which partly explains it mass appeal besides being smaller than the rest..............................although it's considered HUGE by Bose Sugar Cube standards! LOL.

The fact that the Heresy and Cornwall cabinets were too small, and too low priced to be worthwhile by Greg of Volti to bother with (in his Khorn refurbishing days), still makes them a great choice for a DIY upgrade to 40+ year old boxes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zim. said:

I've owned a pair of Volti Khorns in Koa for a few years now, usually running with a LaScala (same veneer) as a derived center.  There isn't much Klipsch left of the Khorns outside of the plywood construction.  The tophats have the first two production V-Trac (FC-260/BMS 4592) horns Greg made along with Beyma CP-25 tweeters and VTK-400 networks. 

This makes your post 10 times more valid than those who post pictures of non-Volti mods. Good post, and I have shared similar a similar experience with (like the Volti mids) Bruce Edgar derived wood
Tractrix mid horns wit 2" JBL drivers crossed at 300 Hz. on my Jubilee bass bins with ALK networks. I don't miss the K400's at all, espeically now that I have the Kings of them all, the K402's.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:44 AM, DizRotus said:

This is why the DE-120 driver is so good. It has a rising response after about 15 KHz. to help out us old guys. Seriously.

• Like 2

When doing the complete mods on the Klipschorns with 2” tractrix horns, bms4592nd mids and beyma cp-25 tweeters, has anyone upgraded the wires to duelund or western electric wires.I have Volti horns,vtk-400 crossovers with the mids and tweeters and I was wondering if changing the wires would make a difference.

• Moderators

I guess he came a long way since a few years ago when he didn't know zip about designing and was asking questions here trying to figure out how to put things together.

With the help of a few he had something to add to his woodworking which was always nice. Good thing for a few who helped him and designed some horns,  if not he would still be reshaping and veneering Klipsch designs.

The whole thing is kind of odd to see happen and then to watch people who didn't know how it all started expound the virtues of his stuff. Unbelievable really

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, dtel said:

I guess he came a long way since a few years ago when he didn't know zip about designing and was asking questions here trying to figure out how to put things together.

With the help of a few he had something to add to his woodworking which was always nice. Good thing for a few who helped him and designed some horns,  if not he would still be reshaping and veneering Klipsch designs.

The whole thing is kind of odd to see happen and then to watch people who didn't know how it all started expound the virtues of his stuff. Unbelievable really

I understand from whence he came, but you still have to give his building skills credit and choice of materials and components. Even PWK learned stuff from those that came before him and said so. Besides, what he does is a niche market, and observing his progress into the Custom/High End world has been a learning experience in itself.

2 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

When doing the complete mods on the Klipschorns with 2” tractrix horns, bms4592nd mids and beyma cp-25 tweeters, has anyone upgraded the wires to duelund or western electric wires.I have Volti horns,vtk-400 crossovers with the mids and tweeters and I was wondering if changing the wires would make a difference.

NO

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I understand from whence he came, but you still have to give his building skills credit and choice of materials and components. Even PWK learned stuff from those that came before him and said so. Besides, what he does is a niche market, and observing his progress into the Custom/High End world has been a learning experience in itself.

Building skills and woodworking, veneer, first class from what I have seen right from the beginning. Right after he went out of business building custom houses and decided to clean out the old little building garage space he was using and started re veneering speakers. Receiving credit for designing high end parts himself, now that's funny.  

It was just some of the bad mouthing of designs he copied and modified which bothered me as if he had skills to back it up. Back then he only had what more skilled people helped him with because he did not have a clue, I remember him asking questions here and a few of the people who helped is all that made it all possible.

Once someone said I made it up and I got PM's from some who helped with horn designs showing me where the old pages were to prove it, I threatened to post them back for everyone to read and they backed off. The bad mouthing stopped and I just let it go, I had, and still have no reason to cause any problems for him or his company, it was only the badmouthing I had a problem with. 

I hope he does well, really I just don't care, it's just strange to hear some of the claims of by some of "his" expertise, when I know who really designed the parts and who takes credit for it, it was the same problem some who helped had after giving him designs, it's why I got pm's when they didn't even got credit or acknowledgment for there designs. He was called out more than once by members here who like me witnessed it all happen and then the claims.

• Like 2