What is your favorite Pro Amp and why??

rockhound

Curious to know what others like with the Klipsch Pro gear. For me I like the QSC PLX series on the HF side and crowns on the LF side more specifically I like the old Crown K2's on my 904 LF's. Clean and gobs of power. Neither amp seems to break a sweat with such high efficiency speakers, headroom is good!!

• Like 2

I don't have the most experience with pro amps. But i have had a few crest ca series and i absolutely love them. They are heavy but for home usage does not matter. 

Currently i have a ca12 powering Danley sh60's. Bass is tight, highs non fatiguing, and POWER and head room which i love. I had a ca4 and also a ca6 for a while. All great amps also used for sub duty, great all around. 

Crown K2 and Macrotech. Serious nuts and they sound better than any of the lower priced 'entry level' pro-amps I've tried in the past.

I haven't tried any of the PLX amps....and I'd like to someday because of the praise they get...but the real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps (can't remember which series off hand).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, SWL said:

Crown K2 and Macrotech. Serious nuts and they sound better than any of the lower priced 'entry level' pro-amps I've tried in the past.

I haven't tried any of the PLX amps....and I'd like to someday because of the praise they get...but the real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps (can't remember which series off hand).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

K1 and K2 because of NO FANS. That's for SUBWOOFERS, otherwise my fave is the Hypex NC-400 for neutrality. I sound like class A below 1 watt, and has power to spare for the next 399, so it's a worry free situation when I play as "stupid loud as real drums in my living room" for demos. Plus I never turn them off, only the Pre Pro gets turned off, since the quiescent state is the same as a wall wart, AND it's always ready to go without warmup. For center and surrounds, I like the Ice Power amps, and the chip amps from Texas Instruments. Even my Pro/Super Heresy surrounds come it at approx. 100 db/Watt, to match the MEH horns at 100-103 db/W, so who needs more than a few watts per channel during even at 80-85 db average loud (as opposed to ear splitting/stupid loud). Even now I'm using a lower power amp (with LED power meters) than the Crown K2's on my subs because they have meters and it's rare that even the Tapped Horn Subs, which are 95-100 db/Watt, see more than 10 Watts per channel.

• Like 1

I have ended up using two Crown xli800's. I don't have a lot of experience with different amps and these are good enough that I am not looking either.  200watt  per channel 8ohm and I have never gone past half the output according to the volume control on my current setup.

14 minutes ago, Emile said:

Have the same combo.  AWESOME :D  Think I like it better than the newer Crown's.

WAIT!! Didn't you just sell me a "newer" Crown??!?!?

Now you tell me.

Works just fine for me. Must have been "user error"!   😀

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

WAIT!! Didn't you just sell me a "newer" Crown?

Yes, now you know.  Just kidding; thought it was a great unit and never tried it on my 904's :D  Maybe I just like the old school weight of the K2 :) 

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have ended up using two Crown xli800's. I don't have a lot of experience with different amps and these are good enough that I am not looking either.  200watt  per channel 8ohm and I have never gone past half the output according to the volume control on my current setup.

Wow, 400 watt for a 106 db SuperMWM!! You only need 8 watts to reach 116 db, which is 3 db louder than the "stupid loud" I experienced at a Mark Farner concert in a small venue. I was ready to chew out the PA guys in that venue.

33 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Wow, 400 watt for a 106 db SuperMWM!! You only need 8 watts to reach 116 db, which is 3 db louder than the "stupid loud" I experienced at a Mark Farner concert in a small venue. I was ready to chew out the PA guys in that venue.

Well you know how it is Claude it was the smallest wattage they had for that line. Fall will be here sooner than you think and I am going to point the big boys out at the roll up door. I will call you and let you know when so you can step outside and hear them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use QSC as well for my HF section. I know many look down on Behringer, but I use several Behringer EP4000's for all my effects speakers as well as my subs and LF sections.  Plenty of power, reliable and inexpensive.  All I did was to change the original fans with quiet fans and have never had any issues. 

I used to have a K2, but didn't need another whole house heater in just one room.

Rack.jpg

• Like 3

I've had good luck with the Samson SX line, originally bought one to drive the Ultra 2 Klipsch subs (even the smaller ones had no problem driving them) and quickly realized they sound great for the mains as well. 

Wow, what a nice stack of gear. 👍  A Crown K2 here and I use it on my mains.  One little thing I like about is that I can just turn it on at some point prior to hitting the couch and that it will just go into standby mode,  until I power up the receiver.  Do the newer Crowns and the others mentioned, have a standby mode?  As well, when you have a stack of what looks like 8 amps, as in the rack above, how are things powered up for showtime?