What is your favorite Pro Amp and why??

rockhound

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

Wow, what a nice stack of gear. 👍  A Crown K2 here and I use it on my mains.  One little thing I like about is that I can just turn it on at some point prior to hitting the couch and that it will just go into standby mode,  until I power up the receiver.  Do the newer Crowns and the others mentioned, have a standby mode?  As well, when you have a stack of what looks like 8 amps, as in the rack above, how are things powered up for showtime?

Showtime power-up is easy.  I use a programmable remote to sequence what I wish to watch or listen to.  Once the Integra fires up, it uses the two timed triggers to start the two Furman PS-8R sequencers. They, in turn, send power to the needed equipment in slow increments so as not to have everything power up at once. Works pretty slick actually.

• Like 1

Crown XLS =

• Light,
  • cool running,
  • quiet fans,
  • RCA inputs,
  • POWER,
  • clip limiting saves voice coils on subs;
  • transparent sound,
  • almost no hiss even on high efficiency horns,
  • cheap!

1426447627_Subelectronics.jpg.c7b4ed61f2ded8585c90a7ad46477903.jpg

For Aussies, Australian Monitor SY series, all of the above but HEAVY and needs a fan mod for home use! 

IMG_6732.JPG.748d855437ab1f8f34a89c8f9ca26a21.JPG

IMG_6738.jpg.f9089e50d5224349cdf1d80afa25482a.jpg

9 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Showtime power-up is easy.  I use a programmable remote to sequence what I wish to watch or listen to.  Once the Integra fires up, it uses the two timed triggers to start the two Furman PS-8R sequencers. They, in turn, send power to the needed equipment in slow increments so as not to have everything power up at once. Works pretty slick actually.

Very well thought out and ingenuitive. Cool. 👍 

Really like my QSC DCA's, not as flexible as the newer DPA's that I would like to play with but with the XC3 crossover module on the DCA's  gives some simple crossover flexibility to the amps.  The fans have never been an issue for me, but that probably has something to do with the typical level that I listen to music at.  

• Like 1

I love the Yamaha Pro P2500s, and P7000s amps...run cool, plenty of power, and you can pick them up used for about $200 (p2500s). During the time I had mine I never had the fan come on! I sold my whole stack when I moved, and so just bought 2 more again for my Atmos channels.

• Like 1

I have just removed the fan from my Macro Tech 2401 in the earlier pic... and have been listening all afternoon. Its running cool as, and making my Prima Luna Dialogue HP Premium seem like a child's toy.

Pity about the transformer hum.  

Looks like I have found a second Macro Tech too.  

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the K1, K2 etc? This thing sounds amazing. What would be it's equivalent in the new Crown range? Thanks.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the K1, K2 etc? This thing sounds amazing. What would be it's equivalent in the new Crown range? Thanks.

I had the 3600vz and compared it to my K2. The Macro had better sound quality but I stuck with the K2 because that particular system I really crank it. I'm safe with the 500 wpc from the K2. The 1200 watts from the Macrotech was just wayyyy too much power and I most certainly would have blown something.

The K2 has very good sound quality when EQ'd in my house but I don't use it in my critical listening room. Only in my workout room/ basement system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I own 3 KLIPSCH systems.   A 2-ch Ki-396 Master bedroom setup / a 6.2 downstairs RF7iii Theater setup / a 5.1 Klipsch Pro Jubilee Surround DVD-Audio setup , Theater upstairs.

Every single amp used in those rigs are Carver Pro ZR1600's , all bridged in Mono. So I'm using 18 of ZR1600's, and have 2 more as backups, 20 total !  Also for my Jubilee Sub duty's I use the mammoth Crown  macro-tech 3600vz , run thru a Danley TH50. 

I used to have Tube amps, ...never satisfied...then I finally found an Pro Solid State amp that dominated in clarity / dynamics and power to boot ... everything I hadever ever wished for in a Pro amp.  ...and Rack Mountable. (Pic below is the JUBILEE 5.1 amp rack, using 10 Carver ZR1600s bridged in Mono...to Bi-Amp all 5 Jubilees.)

Carver JUBILEE RACK.jpg

• Like 1

Also for my Jubilee Sub duty's I use the mammoth Crown  macro-tech 3600vz , run thru a Danley TH50. 

Glad to hear that you're still rockin the 3600.[emoji106]

Just now, SWL said:

Glad to hear that you're still rockin the 3600.emoji106.png

I tell ya, this amp paired with a Danley TH50...is to DIE for. Plenty of headroom.   

I have never had a single issue with any of these amps.

CROWN macro-tech  3600vz's RULE on Subwoofers !

• Like 1

I tell ya, this amp paired with a Danley TH50...is to DIE for. Plenty of headroom.   
I have never had a single issue with any of these amps.
CROWN macro-tech  3600vz's RULE on Subwoofers !
Cool. I've got some 18" EV subs that my K2 and EP4000 could power sufficiently but the Macro 3600vz would really make them come alive. That's an understatement. Serious nuts. Clean nuts.

43 minutes ago, SWL said:

Bad ***. What song is that?

The tune is off Jeff Beck's 1989 release ' Beck's Guitar Shop " ...tune # 3 , titled 'Behind The Veil' !

On eBay for as little as $5 . https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=jeff+beck+guitar+shop+cd&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=jeff+beck+garage+shop+cd

Beck Guitar Shop.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Its been the crown K2 for ever it seems but after seeing Craig with all those zr1600's bridged mono I just had to give it a try. New favorite pro amps are now Carver pro zr1600's bridged mono. When a professional drummer likes something he is probably on to something. He sure was with these things. Don't know what took me so long.

Wow!  Dynamics and slam in spades yet smooth as butter.

Thanks Craig!

Also been a Chorus II owner for 30 years and just added a pair of 86 Industrial Lascalas with the K-77, K-55-M and the K-34 woofers. Holy cow! Lascalas and subs are really mind blowing. I have heard Lascalas plenty of times and never heard them sound like this. They like the K2 or the zr1600's. My Chorus II's actually seem hotter in the mids compared to these things can you say smooth. I guess I'm just diggin it! Isn't audio  just a blast!

• Like 4

Its been the crown K2 for ever it seems but after seeing Craig with all those zr1600's bridged mono I just had to give it a try. New favorite pro amps are now Carver pro zr1600's bridged mono. When a professional drummer likes something he is probably on to something. He sure was with these things. Don't know what took me so long.

Wow!  Dynamics and slam in spades yet smooth as butter.

Thanks Craig!

Also been a Chorus II owner for 30 years and just added a pair of 86 Industrial Lascalas with the K-77, K-55-M and the K-34 woofers. Holy cow! Lascalas and subs are really mind blowing. I have heard Lascalas plenty of times and never heard them sound like this. They like the K2 or the zr1600's. My Chorus II's actually seem hotter in the mids compared to these things can you say smooth. I guess I'm just diggin it! Isn't audio  just a blast!
Good to see you back here Randy. Hope all is well.

• Like 1