What is your favorite Pro Amp and why??

rockhound

• 9 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 4:36 AM, Ziggurat said:

I have just removed the fan from my Macro Tech 2401 in the earlier pic... and have been listening all afternoon. Its running cool as, and making my Prima Luna Dialogue HP Premium seem like a child's toy.

Pity about the transformer hum.  

Looks like I have found a second Macro Tech too.  

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the K1, K2 etc? This thing sounds amazing. What would be it's equivalent in the new Crown range? Thanks.

Macrotech is an older generation. Late 80s early 90s. ,---

K1, K2 have much more in the way of speaker protection Certain K Models may also have switching power supplies to lessen weight

On 8/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, Born2RockU said:

The tune is off Jeff Beck's 1989 release ' Beck's Guitar Shop " ...tune # 3 , titled 'Behind The Veil' !

On eBay for as little as $5 . https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=jeff+beck+guitar+shop+cd&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=jeff+beck+garage+shop+cd

Beck Guitar Shop.JPG

Beck is a big car guy, kinda like Jay Leno

On 7/28/2019 at 9:00 AM, alexg5775 said:

I don't have the most experience with pro amps. But i have had a few crest ca series and i absolutely love them. They are heavy but for home usage does not matter. 

Currently i have a ca12 powering Danley sh60's. Bass is tight, highs non fatiguing, and POWER and head room which i love. I had a ca4 and also a ca6 for a while. All great amps also used for sub duty, great all around. 

Crest was owned by Peavey, maker of guitar/bass amps

On 7/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, SWL said:

Crown K2 and Macrotech. Serious nuts and they sound better than any of the lower priced 'entry level' pro-amps I've tried in the past.

I haven't tried any of the PLX amps....and I'd like to someday because of the praise they get...but the real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps (can't remember which series off hand).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Uuugghh. Uli Behringer is a rip off artist of other people's engineering

• 1 month later...

Lots of good ones mentioned here.

For me it is McIntosh..........Solid.  I have old ones and newer ones.  Of course they have clean power but the most important point for me is that they interface with both home audio and pro audio equipment seamlessly.  They bridge that gap wonderfully.  With systems that require pro digital processors and higher powered amps for big subs, but that also use home audio source components jumping to McIntosh was one of the smarter things I did.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 3:24 PM, mark1101 said:

Lots of good ones mentioned here.

For me it is McIntosh..........Solid.  I have old ones and newer ones.  Of course they have clean power but the most important point for me is that they interface with both home audio and pro audio equipment seamlessly.  They bridge that gap wonderfully.  With systems that require pro digital processors and higher powered amps for big subs, but that also use home audio source components jumping to McIntosh was one of the smarter things I did.

I want to try a pair of macintosh 1.2K monoblocks.