Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
rockhound

What is your favorite Pro Amp and why??

Recommended Posts

Curious to know what others like with the Klipsch Pro gear. For me I like the QSC PLX series on the HF side and crowns on the LF side more specifically I like the old Crown K2's on my 904 LF's. Clean and gobs of power. Neither amp seems to break a sweat with such high efficiency speakers, headroom is good!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the most experience with pro amps. But i have had a few crest ca series and i absolutely love them. They are heavy but for home usage does not matter. 

 

Currently i have a ca12 powering Danley sh60's. Bass is tight, highs non fatiguing, and POWER and head room which i love. I had a ca4 and also a ca6 for a while. All great amps also used for sub duty, great all around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crown K2 and Macrotech. Serious nuts and they sound better than any of the lower priced 'entry level' pro-amps I've tried in the past.

I haven't tried any of the PLX amps....and I'd like to someday because of the praise they get...but the real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps (can't remember which series off hand).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't listened to it yet, but this Crown / Amcron Macro  Tech 2401 is my favourite,  simply because it looks like the pro-audio equivalent of a Rolls Royce Merlin under the hood...

 

 

IMG-20190729-WA0002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, SWL said:

he real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps

 

They are copies of the QSC RMX amplifiers:

 

https://www.qsc.com/resource-files/productresources/amp/discontinued/rmx/q_amp_rmx_series_specs.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, SWL said:

Crown K2 and Macrotech. Serious nuts and they sound better than any of the lower priced 'entry level' pro-amps I've tried in the past.

I haven't tried any of the PLX amps....and I'd like to someday because of the praise they get...but the real sleepers are the Beheringer EP series amps for subwoofer duty. Cheap power and lots of it. They're basically a knock off of the PLX amps (can't remember which series off hand).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
 

K1 and K2 because of NO FANS. That's for SUBWOOFERS, otherwise my fave is the Hypex NC-400 for neutrality. I sound like class A below 1 watt, and has power to spare for the next 399, so it's a worry free situation when I play as "stupid loud as real drums in my living room" for demos. Plus I never turn them off, only the Pre Pro gets turned off, since the quiescent state is the same as a wall wart, AND it's always ready to go without warmup. For center and surrounds, I like the Ice Power amps, and the chip amps from Texas Instruments. Even my Pro/Super Heresy surrounds come it at approx. 100 db/Watt, to match the MEH horns at 100-103 db/W, so who needs more than a few watts per channel during even at 80-85 db average loud (as opposed to ear splitting/stupid loud). Even now I'm using a lower power amp (with LED power meters) than the Crown K2's on my subs because they have meters and it's rare that even the Tapped Horn Subs, which are 95-100 db/Watt, see more than 10 Watts per channel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PLX (or PLX2) for me.  I currently am running 5 of them at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ended up using two Crown xli800's. I don't have a lot of experience with different amps and these are good enough that I am not looking either.  200watt  per channel 8ohm and I have never gone past half the output according to the volume control on my current setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 7:36 PM, rockhound said:

like the old Crown K2's on my 904 LF's.

Have the same combo.  AWESOME :D  Think I like it better than the newer Crown's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Emile said:

Have the same combo.  AWESOME :D  Think I like it better than the newer Crown's.

WAIT!! Didn't you just sell me a "newer" Crown??!?!?

Now you tell me.

Works just fine for me. Must have been "user error"!   😀

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

WAIT!! Didn't you just sell me a "newer" Crown?

Yes, now you know.  Just kidding; thought it was a great unit and never tried it on my 904's :D  Maybe I just like the old school weight of the K2 :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I have ended up using two Crown xli800's. I don't have a lot of experience with different amps and these are good enough that I am not looking either.  200watt  per channel 8ohm and I have never gone past half the output according to the volume control on my current setup.

Wow, 400 watt for a 106 db SuperMWM!! You only need 8 watts to reach 116 db, which is 3 db louder than the "stupid loud" I experienced at a Mark Farner concert in a small venue. I was ready to chew out the PA guys in that venue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Wow, 400 watt for a 106 db SuperMWM!! You only need 8 watts to reach 116 db, which is 3 db louder than the "stupid loud" I experienced at a Mark Farner concert in a small venue. I was ready to chew out the PA guys in that venue.

Well you know how it is Claude it was the smallest wattage they had for that line. Fall will be here sooner than you think and I am going to point the big boys out at the roll up door. I will call you and let you know when so you can step outside and hear them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use QSC PLX2 1804 on my MWM bins, 1104 on a pair of 684 subs, and another 1104 on another pair of 684 subs.  The QSCs have been reliable and for bass and sub duty work OK for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use QSC as well for my HF section. I know many look down on Behringer, but I use several Behringer EP4000's for all my effects speakers as well as my subs and LF sections.  Plenty of power, reliable and inexpensive.  All I did was to change the original fans with quiet fans and have never had any issues. 

 

I used to have a K2, but didn't need another whole house heater in just one room.

Rack.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had good luck with the Samson SX line, originally bought one to drive the Ultra 2 Klipsch subs (even the smaller ones had no problem driving them) and quickly realized they sound great for the mains as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a nice stack of gear. 👍  A Crown K2 here and I use it on my mains.  One little thing I like about is that I can just turn it on at some point prior to hitting the couch and that it will just go into standby mode,  until I power up the receiver.  Do the newer Crowns and the others mentioned, have a standby mode?  As well, when you have a stack of what looks like 8 amps, as in the rack above, how are things powered up for showtime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...