TheEAR, I need quick advice!

Kain

I have been drooling over your ATI amplifiers and I am thinking of getting the ATI AT1505 amplifier to power my Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers and getting the Denon AVR-1803 as a pre-amp. Is this a good choice?

What made you choose ATI amplifiers over the other amplifiers?

The ATI1505 is a great choice,I use one with R series Klipsch and it works wonders for HT.

The only problem may be with the Denon receiver,a few Denon receivers have noisy pre outs.And the ATI will let you hear this,as the RF7's dont need too much to let you know when the pre/pro or amp are noisy.

When I used my 3801 I had nasty noise at -60,the noise was masked the more the volume knob went up.The problem was not the amp,as even with a Celeste 4250SE the same nasty noise could be heard.And the amp as well as the reciver was conected to a PS Audio AC cleaner and then to a Chang LightSpeed 6400.

Just try the receiver before you buy,make sure your smile is not erased by a minor problem.

yeah kain, if you don't already have a receiver & want to use a good power amp, then get a good pre/pro to match w/ it. you won't regret spending the few extra bucks now.

iow, a good power amp magnifies what it gets. so you want the same or better quality audio signal going into it from the preamp/processor.

you've got great audio quality speakers, now maintain that quality on down the line. remember, klipsch speaks are very revealing of any imperfections they get fed.

Thanks guys.

However, which pre-amp do you recommend for the ATI AT1505? It seems I only have around $500 for the pre-amp, I know it's not much.

The reason is because I was going to get the Denon AVR-4802 which is around $2,192 here. But then I thought that instead of getting the Denon AVR-4802 to power my speakers, I could get an ATI AT1505 and get the Denon AVR-1803 as a pre-amp. Thus the total would be the same as the price of a Denon AVR-4802 here.

You need to check into that 1803. I believe you have to step up to the 2802 in order to have preamp outs. That runs $799 US. For $100 more, you can pick up the Outlaw 950 (you'll have to check into international prices). That will school the 2802 as a preamp. I don't know how mcu the ATI amp is, but for $2498 US, you can get the 950/770 combo from outlaw. That's 200 watts for seven channels!!!

kain, you need to work w/ a or some dealers that will let you demo stuff w/ the refs in your home. any good dealer should. or at least try to listen to them w/ klipsch in their showrooms.

i mean this is a good place to get a general idea, but i wouldn't buy anything w/o listening. usually dealers have a lot of used gear too. as for outlaw, there you'd have to buy & return if you no like.

you'll go nuts trying to make purchases off opinions here. tastes & ears are all dif so let those ears listening decide. its well worth the effort to do some testing. 2.gif

ATI and Outlaw power amps have about the same sound quality,the ATI is capable of more output gain as its is pushed.The thing is here you will not push the ATI or the Outlaw with easy to drive speakers like the Klipsches.

The Sunfire(I tried the Carver,very similar) receiver has as much power as many big power amps,it far better quality then the Denon receivers(even the 3802),and bests the 4802 in a side by side comparo.

The Sunfire receiver should have all the features and all the power to drive your R series to the brink of ear breakdown.

And the Sunfire is smooth,someting the ATI or Outlaw is not.In other words Sunfire amps match very well with Klipsch speakers.

One more thing.

You would go for the Outlaw Audio 755 amp + Outlaw Audio 950 preamp/processor combo rather than the Denon AVR-4802, right?

By the way, many people have reported that the Outlaw Audio 950 preamp/processor hisses. Do you know anything about this?

----------------

On 11/1/2002 11:24:44 PM TheEAR wrote:

And the Sunfire is smooth,someting the ATI or Outlaw is not.In other words Sunfire amps match very well with Klipsch speakers.

----------------

Ears - You got that right. I have the original Carver Lightstar Reference amp (remember them?) powering my Chorus II's, and it sounds oh so sweet.

Colin

Chickey,

Yep the Carver Lightstar is by far the best sounding,most refined power amp Carver ever made.It compares well to even the FPB Krell.I almost purchased this amp,almost.Well I got a Celste 4250SE at that time.

Kain,

Forget an EL Cheapo cent scratching Sunfire amp.The least expensive SUnfire amp you can find is around 2K and up.

BTW the new receiver from Sunfire has all the features and more power your RF7's could handle.Its refined sound and great built quality.

My take on Rotel and Parasound

With Parasound you get a less transparent amp and more POWER,also the bulkier Parasound will impress just by its more solid construction.The Parasound has more slam(bass).

The Rotel is a sleeper,better sound quality(more finesse)and costs less.I would go with the Rotel.

If I wanted looks and sound quality I would rather get Bryston,bests both in just about any aspec you can think of and comes with a TWENTY YEAR WARRANTY! yes 20 year warranty sir!Costs a bit more too

Kain,

Sorry I forgot to answer

"What made you choose ATI amplifiers over the other amplifiers?"

Well good sound quality,good built quality and the massive weight. LOL

Seriously you get alot of quality amp for the money with ATI.And I did not want to spend a fortune,as I did empty alot of money on Celeste and Krell.

ATI is not in the same class as Celeste MOON or Krell FPB,the later are smooth and flesh out the details in a way ATI and Outlaw cannot.And with the FPB600 you get 180lbs of amp. 3.gif

Still I use my ATI's for HT and for HT use ATI/Outlaw are easy choices,you get more then what you paid for!

The better balance for the price is Rotel/Sunfire(on the more expensive side),great for both HT and music.Sunfire the best choice if you must own an amp with hellacious output capabilities.I am tempted by the Sunfire Signature

two channel(1200W RMS/channel into 4 Ohms!),well many amps and subs tempt me.Its a constant war of what to buy.So many choices