Need advice on sub for Heresy III

Tony B

@Tony B,

Welcome to the forum.

How large is the room where this system is located? 

How far is your seating position?

If room is not too large, then I think either sub will sound great.  Of course the PB-1000 will dig deeper and be louder.

Bill

5 hours ago, Tony B said:

Downsizing so just bought heresy's after owning Forte's.  In need of a small sub and considering Klipsch SW 311 and SVS PB-1000. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a thought:  you're "downsizing" to a stereo pair of speakers with all but the same footprint, just shorter, so you're recovering some displaced room volume, but now you're going to add a subwoofer which will not only eat back that saved displaced volume (maybe more, maybe less - call that one a wash), but even more floor space will be consumed than before for a net "upsizing."  Have I got that right?

Is your goal actually to downsize or is it to merely achieve something somewhat different?

@willland @glens Thanks for your input.  The room is approximately 20X20.  Great point about the wash.  Wife likes the fact that the heresy doesn't have the height of the forte"s.  Also I'm moving away from a much larger sub that was used with home theatre set up at previous house. Downsizing economically is the main point. Sold some higher priced equipment. Moving to just a 2.1 setup.  Running all of this with a Parasound Hint 6 if that helps. Goal is to match with a sub that's more design for music and not movies.  Hope that helps and thank you both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glens said:

Here's a thought:  you're "downsizing" to a stereo pair of speakers with all but the same footprint, just shorter, so you're recovering some displaced room volume, but now you're going to add a subwoofer which will not only eat back that saved displaced volume (maybe more, maybe less - call that one a wash), but even more floor space will be consumed than before for a net "upsizing."  Have I got that right?

Is your goal actually to downsize or is it to merely achieve something somewhat different?

I'm with you.  Trading the Heresys and requiring a sub is a very odd trade unless you really need the sub to pound.  Even with that, there is a bass control on the Hint 6.  

6 hours ago, Tony B said:

Downsizing so just bought heresy's after owning Forte's.  In need of a small sub and considering Klipsch SW 311 and SVS PB-1000. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

You will do fine with either configuration you are looking at if you have already parted with the Fortes.

I too, am running Heresy's in a 2.1 configuration. I bought an SVS SB-1000 because I wanted to match the tight response of the sealed box Heresy. SVS recommends a sealed subwoofer for music-primary listeners. I am very satisfied with the pairing. My listening room is 15x24ft. SVS customer service was excellent in responding to e-mail questions.

I wish the spiked feet supplied with the unit were taller, to contact the floor through medium pile carpeting. That's my only gripe.

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I too, am running Heresy's in a 2.1 configuration. I bought an SVS SB-1000 because I wanted to match the tight response of the sealed box Heresy. SVS recommends a sealed subwoofer for music-primary listeners. I am very satisfied with the pairing. My listening room is 15x24ft. SVS customer service was excellent in responding to e-mail questions.

I wish the spiked feet supplied with the unit were taller, to contact the floor through medium pile carpeting. That's my only gripe.

Good advice and explanation for a room that size.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I have dual SVS SB-2000s that I've used with Heresy II and my current original Heresy mains.  They work awesome for music and movies.

While I don't have SB-2000s, I fully agree that dual subs are far superior than a single sub.

I run dual Martin Logan Dynamo 700 with the wireless option, tapped off the speaker outs of an Elekit TU-8200 amp and padded down before being sent to the wireless transmitter (the Dynamo 700 does not have speaker level inputs and I was getting hum at the subs going wired and was too lazy to track down).  Having tried running mono and stereo I prefer stereo.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 8:54 PM, wuzzzer said:

I have dual SVS SB-2000s that I've used with Heresy II and my current original Heresy mains.  They work awesome for music and movies.

How do you have them placed Mark? Are the SB-2000s underneath the Heresys? Not sure about sound, but it would look cool and raise the Heresys up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

How do you have them placed Mark? Are the SB-2000s underneath the Heresys? Not sure about sound, but it would look cool and raise the Heresys up. 

I have my Heresys on stands that are about 30" tall and about 10 feet apart from each other.  The subs are in between, flanking my TV stand.

The Heresys are slightly wider than the SB-2000s so it looks a little goofy having them sit on top.  I like the higher position of the 30" stands.

• Thanks 1