Any Lennox HVAC guys on this here forum

babadono

When I worked in service department at a VW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW & Subaru dealership, there were often the exact same parts, albeit different part numbers, that would fit VWs, Audis and/or Porsches.  We would try , usually unsuccessfully, to sell Porsche owners the less expensive parts.  They'd never believe us about it being the exact same part.  They couldn't abide thinking a part inside their prescious Porsche had "VW" stamped on it.

A high school friend bought a bare bones 1967 Olds 442 with a 3-speed.  GM did not make a full-synchro 3 speed, but Ford did, so his Olds had a Ford transmission.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

My 1950 Ford driveshaft spline fit on a 1968 Pontiac 4-speed manual transmission. OK, the OD was .002" different but it slipped on slicker than camel snot on a doorknob.

JJK

I take it you have a lot of experience with camel snot.

I was getting on some ac tech forums before getting a new hvac unit for the house here. I was reading about the two speeds for increased comfort, and that they push them as saving you money. The techs were saying that ac works at its highest efficiency wide open, and the two speeds didn't save money. In fact it costs more to run. Im not real smart but I knew on low speed, it would just take longer to cool. Also me going  from a 14 SER rating to a 17 was going to save me maybe 50 bucks a year on my electric bill for the whole season. I went 95 efficiency  on the heat . I went from 2 and a half ton to 3 ton and only spent 4800 total on a Carrier compared to 6800 for the one they were pushing and you can spend alot more than that. I did get the better filter system. The tech told me he has the least problems with the one speed cheaper models but people building new houses always get the top of the line thinking thats the way to go.  Im very happy with it so far.  Just had it put in about three months ago. A great install is the most important thing!

On 7/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, Shiva said:

Oh, at first look, my eye saw Annie Lennox and thought I was going to find some music to listen to.  My bad. 😀  No a/c where I live, so have nothing to contribute.   

I'm an Annie Lennox fan.  Does that count?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mr clean said:

I was getting on some ac tech forums before getting a new hvac unit for the house here. I was reading about the two speeds for increased comfort, and that they push them as saving you money. The techs were saying that ac works at its highest efficiency wide open, and the two speeds didn't save money. In fact it costs more to run. Im not real smart but I knew on low speed, it would just take longer to cool. Also me going  from a 14 SER rating to a 17 was going to save me maybe 50 bucks a year on my electric bill for the whole season. I went 95 efficiency  on the heat . I went from 2 and a half ton to 3 ton and only spent 4800 total on a Carrier compared to 6800 for the one they were pushing and you can spend alot more than that. I did get the better filter system. The tech told me he has the least problems with the one speed cheaper models but people building new houses always get the top of the line thinking thats the way to go.  Im very happy with it so far.  Just had it put in about three months ago. A great install is the most important thing!

Not sure what the climate is in your area, but in coastal South Carolina dehumidification is very important. On "Design days" the system has the load to run longer and dehumidify the space. When you get in to the shoulder months and it's in the upper 70's/lower 80's, rainy/humid a single stage system will come on, blast it cold and satisfy the thermostat. It does this because it's oversized during these conditions.  There's not enough run time to remove humidity.  A 2 stage (or even better a multi stage inverter setup) allows the unit to run at a lower capacity that matches the load, thus giving longer run times and providing much better dehumidification. It's not even comparable. It's not all about your power bill, but even with longer run times you may still save some money on it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Not sure what the climate is in your area, but in coastal South Carolina dehumidification is very important. On "Design days" the system has the load to run longer and dehumidify the space. When you get in to the shoulder months and it's in the upper 70's/lower 80's, rainy/humid a single stage system will come on, blast it cold and satisfy the thermostat. It does this because it's oversized during these conditions.  There's not enough run time to remove humidity.  A 2 stage (or even better a multi stage inverter setup) allows the unit to run at a lower capacity that matches the load, thus giving longer run times and providing much better dehumidification. It's not even comparable. It's not all about your power bill, but even with longer run times you may still save some money on it. 

Ive never really ran in to that here in Indiana. Our old unit was like this one and never had issues. It gets real humid in june, july, and aug but not that bad most of the time. I have my temp and humidity gauge right across the room so I guess if it gets stuffy in here I would drop it a degree or two like I do now. Or go buy a dehumidifier. As long as the humidity in here is around 60 or below im good. Peace! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Ive never really ran in to that here in Indiana. Our old unit was like this one and never had issues. It gets real humid in june, july, and aug but not that bad most of the time. I have my temp and humidity gauge right across the room so I guess if it gets stuffy in here I would drop it a degree or two like I do now. Or go buy a dehumidifier. As long as the humidity in here is around 60 or below im good. Peace! 

I can see Indiana not having the issues we have. In the newer tighter house around here you wouldn't believe the mold issues.....and lawsuits

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

I can see Indiana not having the issues we have. In the newer tighter house around here you wouldn't believe the mold issues.....and lawsuits

We were down in Jupiter Florida a few years ago and our room had a dehumidifier in it. It was like april and that thing would fill up in no time even with the air on.. I can see it in some areas and for sure near the ocean. My house was built in the early 80s also. Peace! 

Did you ever notice that techs in your home are almost always critical of the work done by their predecessors?  Yesterday, the cable guy brought a new router and re-wired everything.  We have a business Internet with phone, and a residential Internet with TV.

This tech was right.  His cohort had wired it wrong.  Both systems work better now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Did you ever notice that techs in your home are almost always critical of the work done by their predecessors?  Yesterday, the cable guy brought a new router and re-wired everything.  We have a business Internet with phone, and a residential Internet with TV.

This tech was right.  His cohort had wired it wrong.  Both systems work better now.

My grandfather told me this: You always listen to the man that knows what he is doing because he can do more in 5 minutes than somebody who doesn't know in five years.

JJK

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, totalcomfort said:

Ecm motors suck, more junk to go wrong. By a standard 1/3 hp 825rpm motor. Little change in wiring but nothing hard. I never replace them with ecm motors unless it is warranty. If you get the motor pm me will send u a wiring diagram.

Thanks, sending PM

40 minutes ago, babadono said:

Took the final step last evening of putting the motor from my still good unit in the bad unit. The bad unit is now good.

Contrary to popular belief here I'm not an idiot or a moron.

There's still heavy debate going on from what I hear.  Tarheel and Richie are in the conversation as well.

• Haha 2