Forte III tube amp preferences?

pehare

When I still lived in California several years ago, Roger Modjeski was generous in coming to my home and joining other friends to try a few of his tube amps including his RM-10 MkII EL84/6BQ5 amp in my system, which includes an upgraded pair of Klipsch Forte II’s. We compared it to my Dave Gillespie EFB-modified, rebuilt Dynakit Stereo 35 tube. Even though I have not heard the Forte III’s, I would think they perform similarly as my Forte II’s based on their specifications.

From our listening sessions performing a true blind ABX comparison with matched levels, the RM-10 MkII and Dynakit Stereo 35 were very close in performance. That said, both amps sounded fantastic driving the Klipsch Forte II’s with a wide range of material. You will need an equally great preamp and source to work wonders with the RM-10 MkII and Klipsch Forte III’s.

My tube line stage is an Audio Research LS7, and this combination was stellar. The RM-10 MkII is among one of my favorite amps. Roger put a lot into that amp’s design with custom wound transformers, point-to-point wiring and a solid tube biasing system. 

3 hours ago, rhing said:

When I still lived in California several years ago, Roger Modjeski was generous in coming to my home and joining other friends to try a few of his tube amps including his RM-10 MkII EL84/6BQ5 amp in my system, which includes an upgraded pair of Klipsch Forte II’s. We compared it to my Dave Gillespie EFB-modified, rebuilt Dynakit Stereo 35 tube. Even though I have not heard the Forte III’s, I would think they perform similarly as my Forte II’s based on their specifications.

From our listening sessions performing a true blind ABX comparison with matched levels, the RM-10 MkII and Dynakit Stereo 35 were very close in performance. That said, both amps sounded fantastic driving the Klipsch Forte II’s with a wide range of material. You will need an equally great preamp and source to work wonders with the RM-10 MkII and Klipsch Forte III’s.

My tube line stage is an Audio Research LS7, and this combination was stellar. The RM-10 MkII is among one of my favorite amps. Roger put a lot into that amp’s design with custom wound transformers, point-to-point wiring and a solid tube biasing system. 

Rich,  I know it’s short notice, but check out the Southeast Michigan Gathering thread.  

13 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Rich,  I know it’s short notice, but check out the Southeast Michigan Gathering thread.  

Wish I could join, but I just moved back to South Carolina from Minnesota. I now have my full complement of amps working with my Klipsch Forte II’s. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have two Aegir run in mono with Freya+ , Ares II connected to Klipsch Forte III speakers. I also have the Lokius which I will use as a switch for a Decware super Zen triode SE84UFO2 (on order) w/ a 2-Way Amp Amplifier Receiver to 1 One Pair of Speakers Selector Switch. So I can switch between the Mono Aegir and the Zen triode amp. The combo that I have sounds excellent, but I have nothing to compare it to that is why I bought the Zen triode.

• 1 year later...

Back in 2001 I built a pair of Weborne Labs Laurel ll 300b mono block kits to mate up with my Forte 1s.

I built a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and Bottlehead phono pre amp also.

I made my own interconnects and speaker cables as well.

Had a Thorens Td 160 tt and I was in Analog Musical Bliss.

Those Fortes shined with that set up. You could close your eyes and it was like you were in the recording studio with the musicians. 

Ron Welborne has since closed his doors i'm sad to say. 

Edited by hron61
  • Like 2