La Scala II or AL5

Ted S

B-stock speakers only have a 90 day warranty?  Would that include B-stock LS II's with sanding blemishes on top?  That would seem totally ridiculous to pay that much money for speakers with a visual miscue and lose that much warranty for that much money on speakers.

10 hours ago, Ted S said:

And as far a universal pricing - that's like paying MSRP for a car... only for suckers

I believe that the automaker Saturn had universal pricing.  Cars were the same price no matter where you bought it.

33 minutes ago, avguytx said:

B-stock speakers only have a 90 day warranty?  Would that include B-stock LS II's with sanding blemishes on top?  That would seem totally ridiculous to pay that much money for speakers with a visual miscue and lose that much warranty for that much money on speakers.

Around here, they start "upgrading" the speakers at 80 days (+/-), which voids the warranty anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

https://www.klipsch.com/b-stock-warranty

This ted guy is a piece of work
I think he should just keep his bose and leave us alone

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

So even these higher end speakers in B-stock only have a 90 day warranty for just blemishes in the wood?  Are B-stocks 50%, or more, off of MSRP?  I remember peddling Onkyo & Integra B-stock, along with NAD, Sunfire, etc., back when I was a rep.  That was always the hardest pitch.  Makes me glad I don't do that anymore.

So just how much is a pair of B-stock LS II's versus A-stock?  Imperfections in the wood make you lose 4 years and 9 months warranty?  I can definitely understand it for electronics....but speakers?  

Not trying to be a turd...just wrapping my head around it.

4 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Personally, I don't pay retail for anything in home audio or video, and won't.  But, I have the advantage of knowing a big chunk of dealers over a 5 state area, which some were past accounts, when I was a manufacturers rep.  The only way I "get around it is because of 25+ years in the business but I don't take advantage of it as there's nothing new I really want that bad.

Depending on the discount, I personally wouldn't care about the warranty.  Most of the components Klipsch installs in their speakers ( or at least from the older stuff) out last the warranty, then your paying extra for the warranty.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

This forum has a bad habit of being nasty to new members. Especially in Ted’s first post he came here looking for information on some expensive speakers. I’ve bought plenty of 12k speakers, but I’ve never paid close to 12k for them. Everyone here knows if you buy a new pair of LSII’s at full retail and it didn’t work out in your room. You’d struggle to get half back a few months later. This is a hobby for most of us and we’re constantly changing gear. Nothing wrong with looking for a deal, as we all do. I feel op’s (abrasive) response was based on responses he got. His first post was very polite. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. Adorama has blown out LSII’s heavily discounted in the past. You’ll find a great deal if your patient. 

• Like 2

Why not leave the guy alone.

He is making a considerable investment. You guys have mentioned that his expectations may be unreasonable, but you can't fault someone for shopping for the best price.

Asking for info on this forum is entirely appropriate. If, as you claim, it is not possible to get a better price, then he will soon figure it out and the expectations will correct themselves. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Schu said:

Ive seen those B stock ak5's Cory has... they look really good with only a small issue, zero affect on performance.

I could sell you my LSii's... so I can buy Jubilees... nah, I'm keeping them.

@Md5150 has a set of Jubes for sale, but it would be quite a drive for you, as he is "down east".

• Moderators
On 7/30/2019 at 12:21 AM, Ted S said:

Hello all, 

Im looking to purchase a pair of La Scala II or open to the new model too.  Question for you all that have been on this forum a while - have you seen any of these listed for sale?  I'm wondering if i should just buy them from a store or keep waiting and shopping here. I have found a few places that will sell the new AL5s - but they are about 10K - 

Its getting harder to find anyone with the older stock of La Scala II - but those that have them seem to want to deal a little better.  

If you have a used pair - im in the market - please contact me.

If you know of a Klipsch dealer/store that would give me a great deal, let me know. 

Thanks 

have a great day

As for me, having owned LS 1, and II and extensive listening to the AL5, it would for sure be the AL5 with the Neo Tweeter with Tractrix horn.  

@mikebse2a3 ended up getting a phenomenal deal on the ME pair, I heard he is quite happy with their sound.

Hey Mike, are you selling yours any time soon?

Travis

3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

As for me, having owned LS 1, and II and extensive listening to the AL5, it would for sure be the AL5 with the Neo Tweeter with Tractrix horn.  

@mikebse2a3 ended up getting a phenomenal deal on the ME pair, I heard he is quite happy with their sound.

Hey Mike, are you selling yours any time soon?

Travis

No way Travis 😄

I bought these very special LaScals AL-5 in part for my daughter and grandson to enjoy for many decades I hope.🙂

miketn 

This forum has a bad habit of being nasty to new members. Especially in Ted’s first post he came here looking for information on some expensive speakers. I’ve bought plenty of 12k speakers, but I’ve never paid close to 12k for them. Everyone here knows if you buy a new pair of LSII’s at full retail and it didn’t work out in your room. You’d struggle to get half back a few months later. This is a hobby for most of us and we’re constantly changing gear. Nothing wrong with looking for a deal, as we all do. I feel op’s (abrasive) response was based on responses he got. His first post was very polite. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your search. Adorama has blown out LSII’s heavily discounted in the past. You’ll find a great deal if your patient. 

Your right and I should have not said anything
My deepest apologies for my comments

WOW - apparently its a sensitive topic for some. Thanks to those that have reached out on here. I do appreciate your feedback and information / tips you have provided. As for the others, I don't really care, I'm not an easily offended person. I think sometimes people like to give the new guy a hard time, I'll take my licks and get back up, not to worry. 

I have always worked hard for my money. I try to be smart with it, that includes looking for the best price and the deal. Thats how you keep your money and or buy more nice stuff :)

glad to hear there are other just like me, and for a fact have never paid retail. gives me hope. 

So here is what I got so far - tell me what you think :

--Brand new La Scala AL5 - have to be ordered from factory - so a few weeks out ($9500) this does not include shipping which, worse case add 500

--The B stock AL5 - $7500 - so far have only seen the natural cherry - and that is a little light for my house ( I imagine if I look further I could find others)

--New La Scala II - about 7K-8K delivered (getting) harder to find

--La Scala II - demo- at a dealer- on the floor - about 6mo old - perfect condition - delivered 4500K

The last one seems like a hard deal to pass up - any reason NOT to buy a nice pair of demos?

(Question to "dwilawyer" - you stated the AL5 are your choice because of the new horn / tweeter - its it $5,000 dollars better?  and if so - any idea if someone can purchase those and put in a La Scala II - I mean there sure are a lot of folks on here that do upgrades and modification to their older speakers.)

• Like 3

I haven’t heard the AL-5’s so I can’t comment on the difference. I’m sure they’re a little better, but I can’t see 5k better. I think you could spend your money better elsewhere. Audio is all subjective anyways. What one thinks is more detailed may seem bright or fatiguing to someone else. 

Klipsch B stock that I’ve seen you’d never know it other than a sticker on the back. It would lower resale value a little down the road though. I’d have zero problem with demos as long as there are no scuffs. They should still carry warranty, although I’ve never needed warranty on a speaker. Personally I’d have a real hard time justifying the price difference between the demos and others mentioned. Just my .02