I’m getting my first set of 1977 Cornwall’s!!

1 hour ago, glens said:

And while you've got the box open, break wiggle and remake all screwed connections on the crossover board.  And the inside of the external feed terminals too, if that's not soldered together.

if you are going to go to that much trouble I think it would be a good idea to actually clean all the connections!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wnabphil78@gmail said:

I’ll be pushing them with my Luxman r115 hope that’s enough juice!!

some owners power their Cornwall's with SET 2A3 tube amps that is about 3 watts per channel so you ought to be ok so long as your first watt sounds good. If you are not happy with the sound don't blame the speaker look to the system for your improvements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wnabphil78@gmail said:

I had the option of getting a pair of the Forte ii or the Conrwalls in a trade, to much debate I decided on the Cornwall’s, Better  value in the long run and seems to be a better and louder speaker with more bass and not efficient. I hope I made the right choice going to do the trade tonight! Any thought me let me know thanks Tom 

Cornwall is a very good loudspeaker. That said the Forte will play lower but the CW while not playing as low can push more air at the frequencies it does play down to. You can get more impact with a CW. It all depends on what you are looking for, both are very capable designs. Both offer you room to improve if you want to. If you get the chance check out a pair of Chorus ll given some solid power they are impressive. It all depends on what it is you are after they all do slightly different things they are all very good.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moray james said:
2 hours ago, glens said:

And while you've got the box open, break wiggle and remake all screwed connections on the crossover board.  And the inside of the external feed terminals too, if that's not soldered together.

if you are going to go to that much trouble I think it would be a good idea to actually clean all the connections!

Ha!  The "wiggling" is the "cleaning."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, moray james said:

Cornwall is a very good loudspeaker. That said the Forte will play lower but the CW while not playing as low can push more air at the frequencies it does play down to. You can get more impact with a CW. It all depends on what you are looking for, both are very capable designs. Both offer you room to improve if you want to. If you get the chance check out a pair of Chorus ll given some solid power they are impressive. It all depends on what it is you are after they all do slightly different things they are all very good.

I like it loud and bass heavy, they will get hooked up tomorrow and see how they sound, thanks! 

No engineering school per se.  Learned how to do that pre-teen, anyway.  It's usually obvious if more freshening up than that will be required.  A little mutual rubbing suffices most times to make for a happy junction (at levels like this, at least).  

50 minutes ago, glens said:

No engineering school per se.  Learned how to do that pre-teen, anyway.  It's usually obvious if more freshening up than that will be required.  A little mutual rubbing suffices most times to make for a happy junction (at levels like this, at least).  

Freshening up? the guy tells you he has just picked up a set of original Cornwall's that are at a minimum 34 years old and you are talking about wiggling the connections to freshen them up? this is your idea of good advice?

O

2 hours ago, moray james said:

Freshening up? the guy tells you he has just picked up a set of original Cornwall's that are at a minimum 34 years old and you are talking about wiggling the connections to freshen them up? this is your idea of good advice?

I think it is fair and common advice. We almost always tell folks who get some older heritage to loosen and retighten the screws on the crossovers. Over the past 18 years or so, when someone says a mid or tweet isn't working, it simply takes that to get them working.

Then they can hear their speakers and start spending money to replace the caps. The loosening and tightening connex on the crossover terminal strip is FREE.

I used to work on 3 phase motor controllers. The first thing was to look for loose connections and bad solder joints.

Bruce

• Like 2

I think you will be in for a very nice surprise when you hook up your Cornwalls. 

The Luxman should do nicely and I would not worry about it. By all means play them and enjoy them before you start doing and modifications, although re-freshing the capacitors is a sensible thing to do (and does not need to be expensive). 

If the imaging or the bass is not to your liking, then certainly experiment with speaker (and chair) placement. Changing the relative distances to walls and corners can make a dramatic difference. 

Good luck and enjoy them,

-Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I think you will be in for a very nice surprise when you hook up your Cornwalls. 

The Luxman should do nicely and I would not worry about it. By all means play them and enjoy them before you start doing and modifications, although re-freshing the capacitors is a sensible thing to do (and does not need to be expensive). 

If the imaging or the bass is not to your liking, then certainly experiment with speaker (and chair) placement. Changing the relative distances to walls and corners can make a dramatic difference. 

Good luck and enjoy them,

-Tom

Thank you!  

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

O

I think it is fair and common advice. We almost always tell folks who get some older heritage to loosen and retighten the screws on the crossovers. Over the past 18 years or so, when someone says a mid or tweet isn't working, it simply takes that to get them working.

Then they can hear their speakers and start spending money to replace the caps. The loosening and tightening connex on the crossover terminal strip is FREE.

I used to work on 3 phase motor controllers. The first thing was to look for loose connections and bad solder joints.

Bruce

Hey Bruce: I agree that if one was out to inspect a pair of CW for possible purchase and a driver was not functioning or a whole speaker was dead and otherwise everything looked good you could simply loosen off and re tighten the screws on the terminal strip and see if they came back to life. In this case the Op seems to have purchased the speakers and it is silly not to clean all the  contacts and rotate the woofer 180 degrees and inspect or just replace the spade connectors with fresh new ones then crimp and solder the joints this way you can then forget about them for another 35 years if you want to.

Let me also ad that it would be a good idea to replace the mid horn to driver rubber gaskets as well. At that point you ought to be good to go.

• Like 1

First things first.  A few minutes (only) to loosen the screws and nock the dust and oxidation out, then adequately snug the screws back up.  Push, pull, and wiggle any spade connectors, ending on a snug push, screw the cabinet back back on and evaluate.  If anything's amiss, investigate further, otherwise perhaps enjoy them for the next 35 years.  Might not require anything further.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...