HDMI extender/Balun

rplace

15 minutes ago, babadono said:

So did you use the Wyrestorm unit?

Yea $300-500 online and I got one without any phoenix connectors or IR repeaters, just a used Tx/Rx units and single power cord for 60-some bucks on ebay. If someone looking to do the same, my 75' run is working nicely. Given my in ability to properly terminate the newer cables I opted to buy a cable already terminated...its about 10 feet longer than I needed but works great. On my projector/96" screen I can't see any issues. Looks as clear as my 55 and 65 inch TVs. No issues changing channels so far like I had with the $600+ dollar Atlona the dealer provided. Funny thing is on the Outdoor TV when the dealer had a problem with it they just ran a long HDMI cable. I was like "what the H3LL" if you thought a 10 meter HDMI cable would work for that one why did you upsell me on a Balun? I'm still not 100% sure how these all work but I think the HDMI extenders just extend while a Balun does some compression/decompression on the fly for longer runs.

Could you provide links to everything you used?  I am looking to adding some connectivity outside and thought about going this route. You mentioned a splitter/selector switch for hdmi.  Does this allow you to simultaneously play the same incoming signal to 3-4 TV's?

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Could you provide links to everything you used?  I am looking to adding some connectivity outside and thought about going this route. You mentioned a splitter/selector switch for hdmi.  Does this allow you to simultaneously play the same incoming signal to 3-4 TV's?

Yes it takes in a single source, in my case Sat/Cable box, and outputs and amplifies the same signal to up to four outputs (I'm currently using 3). They make them with more than 4 if needed. I'm never working out in the gym, swimming in the pool and watching stuff in the theater at the same time, so no need for different channels on those various TVs. They all get the same channel from cable box. They do make switchers so you could have Blu-Ray in one location and TV in another but I simply needed the same input repeated, thus saving monthly fees from 3 boxes down to one. I've had two of the TVs on at the same time and both looked beautiful. Have not tried 3. Since the incoming signal is split and amplified I can't imagine running 1 versus many could have any impact.

One small hiccup is that the cable box determines the sound so I have to use the remote's menu to switch from Dolby in the theater to PCM (standard TV speakers) for the outdoor TV. I already have Klipsch outdoor speakers for music outside, so longer term I might repurpose an old AVR and get a 3rd outdoor speaker then run the outdoor HDMI run out of the Atlona splitter to the AVR then AVR to TV, so I can have L/C/R outside vs TV speakers.

Here is the Atlona 1 in 4 out HDMI splitter/amp

https://atlona.com/product/at-ron-444/

Here is the Wyrestorm  Extenders I used (lots on ebay but mind the model numbers). First post has the model number from Atlona that does NOT work with DirecTV genie if that matters to you.

http://www.mridirect.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=A0C753967B834BFDA1542BC2B10364E2

Here is the cat7 cable I purchased, very flexible and flat is nice if over the edge of a table, under carpet, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Cat7-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-6-10-20-25-30-50-75-100-U-FTP-LAN-Black-Lot/333091965148?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=542122313505&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

EDIT: Here is a diagram of how the splitter works. If one or more of those 4 are a long way away you need what is in my 2nd link above. Two of my three TVs are just using a HDMI cable.

AT-RON-444_web_wd-01-web.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little help if possible.  I recently ran Cat6 to a couple locations in my house.  I can hook my Playstation directly to one end of HDMI extender and hook my tv directly to the other end  and all works fine.  However, If I try to through my Integra DTR 40.2 in to the mix such as running the playstation to bd hdmi in and run either from the main or the sub out, I get no picture, just blackness.  As it appears there is a signal, maybe the TV doesn't comprehend?

Thanks for any help.

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

A little help if possible.  I recently ran Cat6 to a couple locations in my house.  I can hook my Playstation directly to one end of HDMI extender and hook my tv directly to the other end  and all works fine.  However, If I try to through my Integra DTR 40.2 in to the mix such as running the playstation to bd hdmi in and run either from the main or the sub out, I get no picture, just blackness.  As it appears there is a signal, maybe the TV doesn't comprehend?

Thanks for any help.

No real idea, just a thought. Are you using the same HDMI cables when you throw the Integra in the mix? I know there are different version of the HDMI spec.

To be clear you are trying to make the Integra in essence a switcher? Something like this, one or more HDMI "things" to the Integra then:

Integra HDMI out >> HDMI Cable >> HDMI extender Transmitter >> Cat 6 >> HDMI extender Receiver >> HDMI cable >> TV

4 hours ago, rplace said:

To be clear you are trying to make the Integra in essence a switcher? Something like this, one or more HDMI "things" to the Integra then:

Integra HDMI out >> HDMI Cable >> HDMI extender Transmitter >> Cat 6 >> HDMI extender Receiver >> HDMI cable >> TV

Correct, the Integra DTR has main hdmi and sub hdmi and neither work with the extender-cat 6-extender setup but works with other hdmi cables and the same tv at an other location. 

I just spoke with Integra and to be honest, I am not sure if this is going to work.  But considering how old this AVR is (about 9 years), I was very impressed with his knowledge of what was going on and what the issue could be and how to fix it.  So I am documenting it for future reference ( as I won't be home until later tonight to try this)

Go to Input/output on the menu, should be able to see if through is selected, make sure it is.

---Try and disabling the deep color by holding the Game input button and pressing the power button twice

----try and disable the deep color on the PS3

There was some info on checking monitor out resolution and making sure it is something that can be handled between all the components.

I will report back.

On 8/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, rplace said:

I'm still not 100% sure how these all work but I think the HDMI extenders just extend while a Balun does some compression/decompression on the fly for longer runs.

Originally, baluns only used transformers, to convert from balanced to unbalanced equipment (or vice versa), and as such, could do both change the topology and match impedance. They've become more complex and can also have other circuitry in them. An HDMI extender usually has more complex ciruitry to raise signal levels and re-time the signals to prevent degradation over a longer cable.

Bruce