Klipschorns from 1955

TubeHiFiNut

A good friend just got a pair of Klipschorns from (what appears to be) 1955.

Pretty cool looking wood K-5-G Squawker.

I searched for the K-5-G and older Klipschorns in general. Some good info.

These will need new grill cloth. Appears he will be able to get pretty close on that.

Interested in comments from others who have Klipschorns from the 1950s. Did you update or restore to original?

Appreciate any comments and feedback?

Thank you.

photostudio_1564677889605.jpg

photostudio_1564677953754.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muel said:

A pair?  Do they match in appearance?  

Yes. ***EDIT***I will verify the serial number of the second speaker.***EDIT***

*** EDIT***My apologies. I misunderstood my friend on the serial numbers and manufactured dates. Speaker number one is serial number 1050 manufactured in 1955. Speaker number two is serial number 1263 manufactured in 1956. The speakers look, from what I could see, very similar.***END EDIT***

Should have taken pics of both. I'll try to drive out to his house and grab some pics of the other one.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, muel said:

Wasn't that rare for 1955?  Did they normally sell singles back then?

I think you're right.  Probably not much stereo running around then.  I have an article from 1964 advising audiophiles with limited budgets to go for quality monaural (Klipschorn) instead of poor-quality stereo, then later adding a second Klipschorn.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

Very nice! 

Some folks prefer the K-5-J horn over the K-400.

Hopefully, they still have the original Stephens-Trusonic 103LX-2 woofers; rare and sought after.

I have #1251 June '57.  Keeping it stock.

The K-5-J horn does not measure as well as the K-400, it’s bandwidth and FR don’t look as good, but many people prefer its sound. The polar response in the horizontal plane is outstanding, especially considering the era this horn is from. I love listening to this one....use it in a CornScala configuration, very natural sounding!

• Like 1

My recommendation to friends, when they get true classic speakers/components/etc., is to restore to original condition.

The grill cloth is rough around the edges so that needs to be replaced.

Will get particulars on the woofers and horn drivers. Will also evaluate the cone health.

• Like 1

I have a Dec. 1956 K-5-J (#1272) hanging on the wall as art. It is in good condition with few blemishes.  I'd rather have the earlier version, with boats near the throat, to hang on the wall.  I will trade one for the other, if your friend wishes to make them sound alike.  They are big enough that finding a box is awkward.  I also have a functional SAHF once destined for a Shorthorn I never found, if he needs it. 

BTW, the SNs you cited are only for the K-5.  The system SN you pictured is 954, pretty early. 

• Like 1

The S/N on the horn is not the S/N of the speaker as John indicated.  The speaker S/N is 954 and Jim Hunter in the "Ask the Historian" section can look that serial # up and tell you the date.  What is the S/N on the other speaker?  I see someone wrote the woofer type on the S/N placard and it should have the Stephens Trusonic woofer.  I would leave them as is the way they came from the factory.

On 8/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, JohnA said:

have a Dec. 1956 K-5-J (#1272) hanging on the wall as art

... o O (picture for the wonderer's?) lol... I mean, can you post a picture of that... I was thinking about doing the same, but if it sticks out 2 feet or whether it's pointing down... seems like it'd make all the difference...