Surround Speakers (RP-402s) in an Octagon room

cpm

I have a unique shaped room and I am interested in finding a location for RP-402s 

I'm new to home theaters, so everything I have read says that the surround speakers for both 5.1 and 7.1 need to be either in line with the listener or behind them. Due to the shape of the room that is not possible but I was wondering if a location a few feet in front of the listener would still be worth the money for the speakers and time its going to take to run the wire under the floor. Or does being in front just mix with the front/center channels?

I've labeled "Bipole" what seems like the only viable location.

Thank you!

DmSZJWm.png

• 3 weeks later...

It could still work well enough, better than having nothing at least.  Chris A here on the forum has cited research showing that people actually prefer surrounds a little more forward but that was a year or two ago when I read that so I can't remember details.  Of course it looks like you will have a horn firing right into the side of that fireplace though, and if so, that's going to be a big issue.  I'd consider trying some monopole bookshelves on stands if this is the case, pull them forward enough to clear the fireplace.  Run temporary wire over the carpet to test if you are unsure if it's worth the effort.