Inherited Klipschorn Speakers

Cfarq208

K = Klipschorn, B = Cabinet Type (Collar between the HF/MF and the bass bin), WO = Walnut Oil veneer

M = 1974 Year Models

Value is highly dependent on overall condition, all original parts and components, and location.  Hard to say without photos.

Value is highly dependent on both cosmetic and functional condition, whether they have updated crossovers or drivers.  If you are thinking of selling, your location would also be a factor as some parts of the country seemingly have more Heritage speakers available.  Realistic value spread would be between $2K-$4K.

Please post some photos.  If you are using windows, you can use the application in my signature to resize your photos.

Thanks for the info so far. I have attached pictures. They are in excellent condition and were originally purchased by my uncle. How would i determine if I have upgraded crossovers or drivers?

Let Et me know if pictures of anything specific would be more helpful. 

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

• Like 1

My 1974 La Scalas came with crossovers that looked exactly like those.  Just replacing the capacitors with Bob Crites's Sonicaps made a very noticeable improvement in sound clarity.  They came in a kit, with little plastic saddles and zip-ties, for a tidy installation. 

• Thanks 1

I say keep but a question...does your new space have 90 degree corners with ~4 feet down each wall from the corners? There are ways to adapt but this would be ideal. What would you power them with (system)? When you say cost to ship do you mean ship by themselves or included in household shipment?

• Thanks 1

I do have 90 degree corners with ~ 4 ft down each wall. I would be shipping them separately and not part of a household shipment. 

I am interested in any other tips about replacing capacitors or enhancing the speaker anyway.

Currently they are being powered with an Optimus STAV-3280. Any suggestions on alternatives?

37 minutes ago, Cfarq208 said:

I do have 90 degree corners with ~ 4 ft down each wall. I would be shipping them separately and not part of a household shipment. 

I am interested in any other tips about replacing capacitors or enhancing the speaker anyway.

Currently they are being powered with an Optimus STAV-3280. Any suggestions on alternatives?

The corners are nice. Have you heard the speakers? Klipsch is very revealing so any "noise" in the chain you will hear and be disappointed. Common thought is any capacitor in the crossover more than 20 years old should be replaced. Depending on your personal DYI skills it can be an inexpensive exercise of soldering in new ones or buying new expensive ones or sending them to a recognized forum member to do the work for you. Don't jump into changing just yet; build the system in your room and listen to see if you have specific degradation. Spend some time with it first.

Will they be used in a stereo system or in a home theater surround setup? If two channel stereo system it is better to go with a receiver / integrated amp / separate preamp and amp for that purpose.

My short search on your receiver's specifications would indicate that it does not allow you to reach the full potential of the KHorns.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, USNRET said:

The corners are nice. Have you heard the speakers? Klipsch is very revealing so any "noise" in the chain you will hear and be disappointed. Common thought is any capacitor in the crossover more than 20 years old should be replaced. Depending on your personal DYI skills it can be an inexpensive exercise of soldering in new ones or buying new expensive ones or sending them to a recognized forum member to do the work for you. Don't jump into changing just yet; build the system in your room and listen to see if you have specific degradation. Spend some time with it first.

Will they be used in a stereo system or in a home theater surround setup? If two channel stereo system it is better to go with a receiver / integrated amp / separate preamp and amp for that purpose.

My short search on your receiver's specifications would indicate that it does not allow you to reach the full potential of the KHorns.

I saw the 2-channel sub and will do some reading. I guess I’d like to use them for stereo and home theater. How would these perform as studio monitors? 

On 8/4/2019 at 5:45 PM, Cfarq208 said:

I recently inherited some Klipschorn speakers and would like to know more about them such as value, year made etc. 

Sticker inside says:

Type -  K-B-W0

Serial - 6M290

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

You have been blessed!  Enjoy!  Listen to be certain, but I think they will sound better after you replace those "vintage" capacitors.  They will sound best with film and foil caps.  If you change the tweeters to K-77-M or -F you will get a little more ultra high frequency output and greater power handling.  The greater power handling will allow you to disable the KLiP tweeter protection that will cause a hashy, brittle sound on crescendos.  Just replacing the diaphragms with modern versions will up the tweeters power handling; check with Bob Crites for that service and whether it is viable. 

I am sure that Optimus receiver is holding them back.  They should have a really nice quality receiver, Integrated amp or Preamp/power amp setup to sing to their capability.  I will open with a Yamaha A-S501 or 701,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MXUCMXS/ref=twister_B00NB7Z7OI?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

but there are many others, and at any price you are willing to pay. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 5:46 PM, Islander said:

My 1974 La Scalas came with crossovers that looked exactly like those.  Just replacing the capacitors with Bob Crites's Sonicaps made a very noticeable improvement in sound clarity.  They came in a kit, with little plastic saddles and zip-ties, for a tidy installation. 

Me, too.  Highly-recommended.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JohnA said:

I am sure that Optimus receiver is holding them back.  They should have a really nice quality receiver, Integrated amp or Preamp/power amp setup to sing to their capability. 

Great, used gear is so cheap these days.  Get a separate amp, pre-amp set-up.  I wouldn't get a receiver or go integrated just to save a few bucks.  Those speakers, when re-capped, will sound amazing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, jimjimbo said:

Recommend you get some Watco Rejuvenating Oil and wipe them down a couple of times in the next couple of weeks.  Will make a significant positive difference in the cabinets appearance.  Enjoy. 

I agree about applying Watco, however the OP should probably wait until after they have been shipped. I recently applied Watco to an oak table (a few coats over about a week). They were rubbed down carefully. However a week later there was still some aroma indicating the finish was dry but not completely "cured". I would be concerned that some of the material used for packing might "stick" or mar the finish unless it is completely cured. I am just being cautious.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 9:39 PM, Cfarq208 said:

How would these perform as studio monitors? 

Depends... do you have some tools to measure the freq. response? I would have a set of monitors you are familiar with to compare some different mixes (if that is your line of work/pleasure), and see how you like them for that job. They are very revealing, so a mix that sounds great on them should translate pretty well to another playback system.

Bruce

• Thanks 1