Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

I am getting ready to upgrade a pair of Klipschorns with 2” tractrix horns,bms 4592nd mids,beyma cp-25 tweeters and ALK crossovers and I was going to upgrade wires.In the past I have used 14ga speaker wires and I was thinking of trying vintage 14ga western electric or new Duelund wires,both of those can get expensive .Has anyone tried the 2

I am quite sceptic to the value of very expensive cables. However, good long time quality is important. in 1988 I bought two loudspeaker cables. Some booring looking Supra 2.5mm2 cables and some Monster cable copies shiny and fat. 2-3 years later the latter had the copper turning green, probably due to reactive components in the plastic. If I peal of the plastic of the supra 30 years later it is still coppery and shining! So head for Madisound and Supra! There are many other brands that I am sure ar good as well, but as a Swede and a happy customer I want to push Supra a Swedish brand🤔

Speaker wire!

Green-skinned copper means there's less of it than there was, for sure.  Likely still more than enough, though, right?

New new stock 14 ga. stranded copper would be overkill size-wise, no longer than the longest leads are.  The sky's the limit on what you can spend on wire.  What you need is still pretty close to the ground.

I've got an extra K510 and an extra DX-38 you can try, if  you'd like to see how that might sound.  

That said, I've always been a Carroll Cable 12g kinda guy, specifically, the 12g, low voltage direct burial outdoor wire.

But hey....when you run PA speakers with Kludge amps, what do I know.

(honest offer on the 510, oh and I also have an extra TAD laying about that could be swapped out for the K69)

:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

That said, I've always been a Carroll Cable 12g kinda guy, specifically, the 12g, low voltage direct burial outdoor wire.

Precisely.  Also my favorite.  Even that’s overkill inside the speaker, but it does no harm, and it’s inexpensive.

I get a lot of flack for this, but I believe in larger size speaker cable. I recently rewired my K-Horns and used 10ga for the woofers and squaker, and 12 ga for the tweets. Many will say it's overkill, but I'd rather err on the too much side as opposed to the too little side, and the cost difference is minimal.

• Like 2

I finished the mods  on my Klipschorns,I have B&C DCM -50 mids,B&C de120-8 with fastrac horns,alk Cornscala crossovers ,Volti horns ,and western electric 14ga wires.I will play the speakers with these mods for a couple of weeks and then I will then switch out for Volti crossovers vtk-400’s,bms4592nd mids and Beyma cp-25 tweeters and see which one I like the best.Maybe after this I can leave things alone and focus on listening to my system.I doubt it because I am always trying different amps, preamps and speakers.How do you get doff the merry go round.Joe if you figure it out let me know

D34F2C9B-3D0C-468D-9A58-829991C733D4.jpeg

34 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

I finished the mods  on my Klipschorns,I have B&C DCM -50 mids,B&C de120-8 with fastrac horns,alk Cornscala crossovers ,Volti horns ,and western electric 14ga wires.I will play the speakers with these mods for a couple of weeks and then I will then switch out for Volti crossovers vtk-400’s,bms4592nd mids and Beyma cp-25 tweeters and see which one I like the best.Maybe after this I can leave things alone and focus on listening to my system.I doubt it because I am always trying different amps, preamps and speakers.How do you get doff the merry go round.Joe if you figure it out let me know

D34F2C9B-3D0C-468D-9A58-829991C733D4.jpeg

Is that ribbon Mahogany?   Man that is good looking veneer. Looking forward to your judgement changing over to the the BMS mid and Beyma tweeter.  I run 2 strand solid copper to my mains from the amp, but I couldn't tell you if it makes any difference.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

1) all wires should be 57 1/8th inches

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I have to ask .... you have some sort of evidence that this "makes a difference" compared to more run-of-mill cabling?

40 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Yes, about 40 years of hearing wires,  building amps and some speakers with different wires, and hearing what it does when incorrect and correct.

Can you describe in detail, what sonic difference one might expect to experience if their length is say, 57 inches instead of 57 1/8 and how that might compare to the length at 57.1875??  (57 3/16)