Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

41 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Can you describe in detail, what sonic difference one might expect to experience if their length is say, 57 inches instead of 57 1/8 and how that might compare to the length at 57.1875??  (57 3/16)

I am not Jeffrey, but maybe we can do a multiple choice on what the difference might be:

A.  It "removed the veil"

B.  My wife (who hates stereos) came out of the kitchen and said "wow, what did you do to the stereo"?

C.  The difference was "night and day"

D.  Your favorite can go here

Jeffrey, I am just having fun. 

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lovely Mil Spec wire.  Silver maintains the HIGHS !!

4) Crossover to tweeter :

use 16 AWG Mil Spec M22759/11  16, also available from Apex Jr. 57 1/8th inch length, or 28.56 inches.  Smaller AWG wire " maintains " the HIGHS better than big wire.

5) Amp to crossover:  Use two lengths ( 9.52 feet ) of M22759/11  10  ( 10 AWG  ), one for each polarity, again, NO touch.   Michael Percy has nice terminals, gold plated, reasonable, can take up to 8 AWG..  NO banana plugs, use spade lugs.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.  I use 8 AWG of this same Mil Spec wire currently in many places, with excellent results.  Steve Deckert ( of Decware ) also personally uses the 8 AWG of this Mil Spec wire, over the last 20 years, M22759/11 - his favorite wire.  I suggest 10 AWG as a compromise, price VS permanent long term audio performance.

Jeffrey Medwin

You seem hung up on “mil-spec” as if it is somehow better. I work with some mil-spec items and can tell you that isn’t necessarily true.

“Mil-spec” just means that the GAO has defined requirements for things. That’s so stuff confirming to the spec is of same quantity and will have same reliability and interoperability and sometimes cost, regardless of manufacturer.

It absolutely is not a guarantee a particular product is the absolute best that it can be in terms of materials used, manufacturing process, and so forth.

Mil-spec wire could give you consistent wire, but it could be junk for a given purpose.

Sure sounds impressive, though. Much more impressive than SAE AS22759/11. Who wants AUTOMOTIVE wire when you could have MILITARY wire?

3 hours ago, jason str said:

If bigger is better why only 8 gauge wire, don't be cheap and settle for that thin stuff.

0 Gauge all the way.

Yep, then in your spare time, you can take the leftover cables and jump start locomotives at the railroad yard! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

My wife (who hates stereos) came out of the kitchen and said "wow, what did you do to the stereo"?

I actually had a sales rep tell me this about a power cable, I knew it to BS, but never thought it was commonly used.

58 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I am not Jeffrey, but maybe we can do a multiple choice on what the difference might be:

A.  It "removed the veil"

B.  My wife (who hates stereos) came out of the kitchen and said "wow, what did you do to the stereo"?

C.  The difference was "night and day"

D.  Your favorite can go here

Jeffrey, I am just having fun. 

-Tom

I would think "B" to be the answer...  and this is just before she makes you your favorite dinner, shines your shoes then in a mad dash, drags your cracker a** into the other room!

Am I allowed to say Cracker a** on a public form to a fellow cracker a**??

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bkwa1959 said:

I finished the mods  on my Klipschorns,I have B&C DCM -50 mids,B&C de120-8 with fastrac horns,alk Cornscala crossovers ,Volti horns ,and western electric 14ga wires.I will play the speakers with these mods for a couple of weeks and then I will then switch out for Volti crossovers vtk-400’s,bms4592nd mids and Beyma cp-25 tweeters and see which one I like the best.Maybe after this I can leave things alone and focus on listening to my system.I doubt it because I

have several more combinations of parts than just the two mentioned.

Jeff's a lot of fun for a few minutes.

Well 2 options are all I can handle,I kept buying a piece here a piece there to mod my Klipschorns.I had a pair of one owner mfg in 1980 that I thought was too nice to mod,so I bought a pair of already modded Klipschorns on this forum and that got me hooked.So I sold my 1980 pair and was looking for a pair to mod when the pair of ribbon mahogany Klipschorns popped up on this site and I bought them and again I thought they were too nice to mod,but after using them for 2 months I decided to rewire and mod them ,I can always put them back if I decide to sell them,with the Volti horn and the above mods the speakers sound great.I don’t know where people get the idea that Klipschorns don’t have good bass.The bass with this pair using Primaluna Prologue Premium amp and preamp is deep with no distortion.

I have installed the NOS Western Electric 14ga wire in speakers,crossovers,tweeters,mids and woofers I can tell a difference.My cost was a 1.54 a foot and money well spent.Everyone has different opinions on cables, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what works best in your system and how each move we make helps our system.

• Like 1

I have 14AWG OFC wire...  I don't really feel like my system is lacking.  Especially not in any way to got buy new wire so my wife can look at me like a dumbass while trying to discern any sort of difference, which I doubt I'd hear.  

I also have a background in EP.

13 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

1) all wires should be 57 1/8th inches, or, in some cases, multiples and / or divisors of 57 1/8th inches.  It is THE best basic length for audio applications.

Jeffrey Medwin

Why?  What is the supporting evidence for this assertion?  Is this supposed to apply to all audio systems in all circumstances? 

And what does it even mean?  Does the 57 1/8 inches include the length of wire inside the loudspeaker cabinet, between the speaker terminals  and the speaker?  Or does it only count the wire outside the speaker cabinet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backfire said:

And what does it even mean?  Does the 57 1/8 inches include the length of wire inside the loudspeaker cabinet, between the speaker terminals  and the speaker?  Or does it only count the wire outside the speaker cabinet?

You'll have to get in line waiting for that answer.

All I know is that a friend/mentor of his was tasked once decades ago with optimizing a system going to 60 kHz and 57-1/8" leads is what it took, though no mention was made of the wire composition or gauge used.

And don't bring up any electrical theory if you want the discussion to continue.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

the seven-way Fulton Premiere ( 12 Hz to 80 kHZ,  plus or minus 1 dB ). 

Not possible on the low end with one 12" woofer.  I'd like to see a response graph.  Statements like that make pretty much everything every thing else you say unbelievable.

EDIT, never mind the response graph, if that's what it showed then whoever made it either forged the info, was incompetent or both.  Do you have any idea what it takes for a subwoofer to be flat to 12Hz?

• Like 1