Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Supporting evidence was anecdotal, it came out of a problem one of the local Minneapolis Universities was having, testing mammals with high frequency audio signals, where Mr. Fulton was called in as a consultant, and he fixed the problem.  

Jeffrey Medwin

It seems like a bit of stretch, to generalise from distressed baboons listening to ultrasonic signals to saying "It is THE best basic length for audio applications."

This chap Fulton seems to have had a bit of a sense of humour.  Do you not think it possible that he, and also the small High End audio Manufacturer from Montana, might have been having a bit of fun pulling your leg?  Perhaps they felt you present a rather tempting target for a little gentle persiflage?

On 8/8/2019 at 10:55 AM, Max2 said:

I finished the mods  on my Klipschorns,I have B&C DCM -50 mids,B&C de120-8 with fastrac horns,alk Cornscala crossovers ,Volti horns ,and western electric 14ga wires.I will play the speakers with these mods for a couple of weeks and then I will then switch out for Volti crossovers vtk-400’s,bms4592nd mids and Beyma cp-25 tweeters and see which one I like the best.Maybe after this I can leave things alone and focus on listening to my system.I doubt it because I am always trying different amps, preamps and speakers

I went down a similar path, and ended up making much bigger tratrix horns, which I feel greatly improved the sound. Of course, they are now getting away from being stock looking (or sounding) Klipschorns. I think I've reached the limit on how far I can modify K-Horns, although I do have another set of bass bins and another project in mind.

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Sir, you can COUNT on me telling the truth as I know it !!

Then don't believe everything you read and then pass it along as fact.  Two 12's in a ported box won't go that low that flat either especially considering driver materials and technology that was available when these were produced.  There's no magic work around for Hoffmans  iron law.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

None of my Mentors would mislead me.  People such as Robert Fulton, and Dennis Fraker are OUTSTANDING individuals, who are Christians...

Jeffrey Medwin

I think it might be the case that some Christians have a sense of humour too.  I do think that leg-pulling is the most charitable explanation for why they might have said these things...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

It was a slot loaded box, and I do not know you, or your qualifications, but I can and do believe Mr. Fulton !!

What is obvious in science, is not always true !!!  

Jeff Medwin

Again, I'll ask you, do you have ANY idea what it takes for a subwoofer to be flat + - 1dB to 12Hz?  How much air has to be moved?   I can answer that for you, no.  Blindly following someone else's opinion and not having any first hand knowledge of a particular subject isn't a good thing when you start repeating what that person says.  I'm with the above sentiment that he was pulling your (as well as others) legs.  A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Jeffrey, It probably seems like we are being unfair or perhaps even mean.

We are not a bad lot. It's just some of us take a more traditional, objective, common sense approach. As such we are inherently suspect of what seem to be some of these wild claims (IOW, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence). However, you will still find a number around here that might be sympathetic to your "approach". 

The only reason I get involved is that I want to see more people enjoy good sound, and do this in an effective, efficient and inexpensive way. As such, I feel compelled to poke at some of the wild claims made around here (especially when they have no support in science or engineering). Don't get me started on uber expensive capacitors soaked in beeswax .....

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

People such as Robert Fulton, and Dennis Fraker are OUTSTANDING individuals, who are Christians, who walk the walk !! 

Well, that comment did it for me. People who believe in some kind of guy in the sky will believe anything, I guess!