Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

Jeff and I had a go-round a while back.  Here's a link to a post containing photos of the 12 to 80 kHz flat response speaker system he mentioned.

Read the whole thread.  There's more than wire length discussed.  At least skim through it for the big picture and get to know Jeff a bit better.

If you do a little research on that bookshelf speaker that blew away the reviewer you'll see where the magazine highly recommended the speaker but over time had to retract.  Interesting story to be sure.

[Edit: Within that linked post is a direct link to the magazine story.]

4 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

80,000 hZ.  was the published spec.  The top most driver was ingenious, only the dust cap radiating through a baffle, of a  single 2 1/4 inch Peerless alnico tweeter, crossed over really high. 

Mr. Fulton, prior to shipping each pair, Q.C measured the speakers' responses, typically  out to as much as 110 khZ.  on the later Premiere models, , maybe P-7 to P-12 models. 

I owned P-10s back in the day.  If you think I am pulling your leg my friends, I guarantee you.............. I am not !!  

Jeffrey Medwin

The charitable view would be that it is your leg that has been pulled.  If not, then questions certainly arise about the credentials of those who have told you some of these things.

Edited by Backfire

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

That is rather insulting on your part !!

Jeffrey Medwin

I was actually trying to be non-insulting, and give the chap the benefit of the doubt, by supposing that he might have been having a little innocent joke at your expense. If he really was making some universal assertion that wires needed to be 57 1/8 in length for optimal audio performance then indeed I would question his credentials. Anyone with a modicum of common sense and an understanding of basic physical principles would question them.

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Possibly before your time, Mr. Fulton offered a whole line of cables for audio:

Interconnects were typically one ( 57 1/8th inch length ) but a larger-multiple interconnect also was available to the public

Speaker leads, as Dick Olsher pointed out, were either Fulton Brown Wire or Fulton Gold Wire

They were offered regularly to the public , from my memory, in these lengths :

57 1/8th ( one length)

14 1/4 feet 

28 1/2 feet

and 57 1/8th feet. 

Do you believe me now, or should I dig out the manufacturer's Dealer Price Lists for these??

Again, what are your credentials, in music ( Robert was a musician ) and in audio design, / implementations,  to question his credentials.??   

Jeffrey 

It depends  what, if any, accompanying explanations went along with these offerings.  One can imagine, for example, that a manufacturer might offer cables in 3ft, 6ft and 12ft lengths, but that, of itself, does not imply that the said manufacturer has some crazy idea that these are the only lengths that will provide optimal audio performance.  It could just mean that those happen to be the lengths they offer.

If you can provide documentation where this Fulton chap expounded on the specific superiority of these particular lengths, then that might indeed argue against the charitable interpretation that he was joking with you.  It would then tend to favour the suggestion that some of his ideas were a bit wacky.

By the way, that 14 1/4 ft length seems to be 3/8inch short of being a multiple of three  times the 57 1/8 inch basic unit. 

Edited by Backfire

3 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

HERE WE GO !!!   A recently written HISTORY of cables for audio, from Absolute Sound, by Dick Olsher.  VERY well written . 

You will see references to Bob Fulton's contributions, and to Siltech wire, Cardas wire, which I had already brought up in this thread.  Its very nicely done !!!   I hope you all enjoy learning this audio HISTORY .

(http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/a-short-history-of-high-end-cables/)

Jefrey Medwin

Damn!  I'm convinced now...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just got home from a mini vacation and I have been playing my system with the western electric wires and changes made to the tophats and the change is remarkable,the soundstage is wider and the bass is the best I have had .Now to try and enjoy what I have before I start trying to find away to make it better.I think that is one of the fault many of us have with our system,we get it to sounding great and then start trying to find away to make it better and then we are back to where we were.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 1:20 PM, kevinmi said:

Well, that comment did it for me. People who believe in some kind of guy in the sky will believe anything, I guess!

You mean....Jim Jones wasn't the messiah???  I better change my loyalty to David Koresh....  oh wait....damn, too late for that one too.

• Haha 1

The importance of wires and cables increases as cable length and the frequencies that the wiring carries increases. Audio frequencies are low relative to UHF, and wiring is less critical for audio, especially home audio, where loudspeakers are usually located less than 25 feet from the amplifiers that drive them. Commercial installations that may use hundreds of feet of wire are a different matter.

If an audio enthusiast is using inefficient loudspeakers that require a lot of power it may be important to pay attention to wire size and to the temperature rating of the wire's insulation. Otherwise, a general recommendation of 16 gage or larger is sufficient and it doesn't hurt a thing to go larger.

As far as uber expensive wires, I consider them to be a waste of money as I have never heard any difference between them and much less expensive wires. I would never buy any component without listening to them first. I can easily discern a difference between amplifiers, preamps, speakers, phono cartridges, CD players, and DACs but not between wires.YMMV

• Like 3