Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You, and your supporters, are sorely mistaken.  You saw my earliest use of a Soldering Gun. It got better as I gained practice. 

I was referring to the KT88 build from March of this year.

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

For the wires I use,  my ( or any I know of ) temperature controlled soldering station is not powerful enough, and it does not work - at all, to do what I want

Well, I have used a Weller WCTPC 60 watt production soldering station with an 800 degree chisel tip to solder 12 gage wire to the inside of a 1/2 inch schedule 40 stainless steel pipe. Previously that job had been done using a propane torch, so... I'm pretty sure that soldering station could solder any wire you have used in amplifier builds.

41 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Ninety percent of the time,  I use a 325 Watt device now - to get it to do what I want, not what NASA wants !!   

You brag about using MIL spec wire, yet you do not use MIL spec tools and standards to solder those wires in your builds. Got it🙄

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Absolutely.  Different people will have different levels of audio listening experience, with different gear over their lifetimes !!

Maybe you should show us a graph of your hearing range within .1db.

JJK

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 4:00 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Well at least two out of three people in this thread can spell skeptical...............

sceptical

(ˈskɛptɪkəl) or

skeptical

adj
1. not convinced that something is true; doubtful
2. tending to mistrust people, ideas, etc, in general
3. (Philosophy) of or relating to sceptics; sceptic
ˈsceptically, ˈskeptically adv

1 minute ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Right sir, and thats what occurs on Forums. 

What occurs on forums is that a few people decide to post opinions with no basis in fact or science.  It's easy for members to spot said posters.  Normally controversy surrounds their threads and posts for obvious reasons.  Sometimes threads get locked, some times posters are banned.  That's what occurs on forums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Absolutely.  Different people will have different levels of audio listening experience, with different gear over their lifetimes !!

Um no, people have the listening ability they have, it peaks, and on average declines.

Some people have perfect pitch, most do not.  

Audio listening experience doesn't improve you ability to hear, or judge audio quality.  That has been proven over and over again.

It's like staring at an eye chart for 4 hours a day isn't going to improve your vision.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, Don Richard said:

The importance of wires and cables increases as cable length and the frequencies that the wiring carries increases. Audio frequencies are low relative to UHF, and wiring is less critical for audio, especially home audio, where loudspeakers are usually located less than 25 feet from the amplifiers that drive them. Commercial installations that may use hundreds of feet of wire are a different matter.

If an audio enthusiast is using inefficient loudspeakers that require a lot of power it may be important to pay attention to wire size and to the temperature rating of the wire's insulation. Otherwise, a general recommendation of 16 gage or larger is sufficient and it doesn't hurt a thing to go larger.

As far as uber expensive wires, I consider them to be a waste of money as I have never heard any difference between them and much less expensive wires. I would never buy any component without listening to them first. I can easily discern a difference between amplifiers, preamps, speakers, phono cartridges, CD players, and DACs but not between wires.YMMV

I agree fully about speaker wires.

The wisest thing about speaker cable choices I ever read was recently on another audio forum:

The most important Characteristic of Speaker Cables is ........

Length. If they are not long enough to reach from your Amplifier to your speaker, you will not hear anything at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

That basically means that anybody can say anything on any audio related subject and it can't be proved wrong because they say that it's so.

Yep, pretty much how all of audio is,.or was, until PWK came along and brought physics and engineering principles onto play, and wrote about them in peer reviewed journals.

I wish Bose had a forum, some folks would really fit in other there.

• Moderators
Just now, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I don't understand your post, and what you mean here.  Can you make it easier for me please?

Thanks!!

I always like to see your responses.

Jeffrey Medwin

I know you don't understand it.  You didn't find THE solution to amps, you found YOUR individual solution, to YOUR individual amp problem. It works for YOU,  and that's great.

As to whether it will work for anyone else, it's a total crap shoot.

• Like 1

• Moderators

From the Stereophile article previously linked:

But what Fulton was doing with his loudspeakers struck a responsive chord in many audiophiles. The 80 rapidly became one of the most popular small speaker systems among listeners who were aware of its existence and attuned to the sound of live music. Interestingly but not surprisingly, it had little appeal for listeners with no associations of live-music experience, but the reactions of those who did were positive and, eventually, fiercely loyal. The FMI 80 touched them in a way no other speaker system had, and when FMI announced other, costlier speakers, there was a ready-made market of 80 owners prepared to assume that the bigger FMIs would be just as musical as the 80 but with more highs and lows.

When we reviewed the 80, we did find a couple of relatively minor things to complain about. (Although one of them was not the 12kHz peak that another reviewer claimed to have heard.) And Mr. Fulton responded by redesigning the speaker. He is still redesigning it, on what now appears to be a 4-month cycle.

And when other FMI models started appearing, those too became subject to an endless series of modifications until it became obvious to us that, until we could go from typewriter to post office with the magazine in a month or less, it was virtually a waste of time to review FMI's speakers because they were changing faster than we were publishing. Thus, by the time a report got in print, the speaker reviewed had more often than not already been obsoleted by a later, "improved" version.

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/fulton-musical-industries-model-80-j-modular-loudspeakers-fmi-cult#pmFAGhpBuQJ7FPkY.99

Just one mod away!

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Just one mod away!

Travis-

Please put us out of our misery!  This forum has standards like the other audio forums that yanked the welcome mat.

Reminds me of that Paul McCartney song, Ban[ne]d On The Run.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

This forum has standards like the other audio forums that yanked the welcome mat.

One of our main standards is the TOS.  PM me with violations or possibly report a post that breaks them.  Opinions are still allowed no matter how ludicrous they seem.

• Like 2