Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

1 minute ago, yamahaSHO said:

Why is this still going?  Most of the people talking about sound quality and differences here are probably old and lost a significant portion of their hearing...  Just saying.

True enough in my case.  Losing one's hearing does not cause one to lose his/her mind.

• Haha 1

What am I wrong about?  Are you not old?  Have you not lost some range in your hearing?  

Sound and "best" are subjective.  I am more of a data guy...  This conversation is absurd.  What I like in sound, you may not... And vice versa.  

• Like 1

I think some you guys are being a bit rough on Jeffrey. I disagree with his approach and conclusions, but he is entitled to his opinion. In many ways I think he is rather sincere in his perspective and probably not all that different than some of the folks around here who are enamored with fancy and uber expensive capacitors etc. I don't think these folks are trolls. They seem to really believe in this stuff. I think the Forum has enough room for all of them (footnote 1).

Footnote 1: That said, I still think this approach leads some people away from making real improvements that are based on science and engineering. However, that is their choice (and loss). 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Travis-

Please put us out of our misery!  This forum has standards like the other audio forums that yanked the welcome mat.

Reminds me of that Paul McCartney song, Ban[ne]d On The Run.

Surprised you haven't asked to ban the person who occasionally misplaces an apostrophe......

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

All this info about wires made me want to pull one of my 15" woofers and measure the thickness of the voice coil wire.

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Your reasoning for posting this is 100% FAULTY,

That could be true, considering that I was watching some meteors at 2 A.M. when the idea of measuring my voice coil wire came to mind.

I also understand that the voice coil wire is engineered to have a certain resistance. It is also true that I would not want my speaker connection wire to add 4 ohms to the amp/speaker circuit. I use 12 ga and 14 ga speaker wires to my bi-amped Klipschorns.

20 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You are deluding yourself and totally misleading the novices here.

I certainly would not want to mislead any novices with any outrageous implications.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

You are deluding yourself and totally misleading the novices here.  Your reasoning for posting this is 100% FAULTY, for all the system and amp building I have been doing, particularly over the last decade.  

The windings in a transformer, choke, or a voice coil HAS to be a certain gauge, fixed.  But getting ENERGY in and out of that unit, is GREATLY enhanced by using well thought out wiring, often times larger than whats in the unit.  Its lead modification, I do it in my builds, with excellent results,  ALL the time, and it is highly advantageous.  .  Particularly on an entire SYSTEM basis. 

Jeffrey Medwin

If a choke or transformer has a winding constructed from, say, 100 feet of 24 AWG wire, and you modify the last 2 inches of each end of that wire by replacing it with, say 16 AWG wire, then the  percentage effect of your modification on the current carrying properties of the winding will be absolutely negligible.  If you leave 99.7% of the wire (the part you can't get at because it is inside the transformer) unchanged, and modify only the little bits that stick out of the transformer, then you will have no worthwhile improvement at all.

• Like 3

I find it funny that the Fulton Musical Industries website, which is a supposed tribute to the "ideas" of Fulton is under construction and apparently has been for years now.  I guess not enough solid concrete information about anything could be found to put within the multiple tabs on the website other than a short bigraphy.  From what I've read, he was far better a "salesman" than a businessman which would explain why none of his products really lasted long nor did the company continue after he died.  Maybe if he wouldn't have kept revising stuff on, what was mentioned, a 4 month schedule, the company would have prospered.

1 hour ago, Backfire said:

If you leave 99.7% of the wire (the part you can't get at because it is inside the transformer) unchanged, and modify only the little bits that stick out of the transformer, then you will have no worthwhile improvement at all.

You do if you use a quarter spool of solder on each solder joint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

intersecting  and disturbing their energy paths. 

I never saw any photos where he'd drilled a hole through a capacitor to string it on a zip tie.  The only "energy path" is through the media between the foils/plates in any capacitor I've ever seen.  And I've seen many different types through the years.  Even had a huge variable capacitor out of an archaic tubed tuner once...

8 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Well, I have used a Weller WCTPC 60 watt production soldering station with an 800 degree chisel tip to solder 12 gage wire to the inside of a 1/2 inch schedule 40 stainless steel pipe. Previously that job had been done using a propane torch, so... I'm pretty sure that soldering station could solder any wire you have used in amplifier builds.

Psssssst, Don....Don....Don....

The issue there is, is your soldering iron 9.54038 inches long?  It has to be 9.54038 inches long to maximize its performance perfectly.

Side comment....  as I re-read the above, I'm getting a gut feeling it could be misconstrued differently than my intentions, but....I'm not going there.

• Like 1