Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

2 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

And you tightly tie the capacitors on to a crossover board with multiple tie wraps,  intersecting  and disturbing their energy paths.   And also maybe have cap bodies touch each other.

What about the spectacular wiring from your hero's crossovers in those speakers of his? There is all kinds of jacked up on energy paths going on with those. The crossover itself looks disturbed.  

2068928-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg.fa85250ffeb9fb9a6774db4562fd3a7e.jpg

• Confused 1

I think I'm going to go listen to music tonight.  On my Klipschorns with Type A crossovers, recapped with zip tie hold-downs and budget whatever-the-length-it-is 16ga wire laying on the floor that I got from Amazon, coupled to my simple amplifier driven by a dirty jittery FLAC player, all in my extremely small room with run of the mill power....  and you know what? 

It will be glorious to me, and you know what else? 

You might disagree.  Guess what?  That's your right. 

And finally, I don't really care, because I define what sounds good to me at this stage in my life and my hearing and my musical tastes and my sound coloration tastes and nobody else does.  I'm not about to tell anyone that they don't know what good is.  I can't hear what they hear.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Deang said:

What's a "fancy" capacitor? Or, what makes a capacitor "fancy"?

Okay, I will take the bait. 

I remember seeing that  Parts Connexion had some version of  a 10uF Copper Foil Duelund for a discounted price of $1,300. There was some controversy about whether it needed 200 vs 400 hours of break in. Sounds "fancy" to me!

Once again, this silliness leads some folks away from sensible strategies for getting better sound. That is unfortunate!

Good Luck, 

-Tom 

I have watched this tread ramble on and on, how did a post that started out asking about the difference in 2 sets of speakerwires turn into this .I thought when I posted this tread I would get some debates about wires and how they don’t make a difference and to some that may be true,but to my ears I can tell a difference at least I can in my system.Call me crazy (my wife does)I enjoy trying different amps, Int amps,preamps and sources.I mean no offense to anyone posting and it has been fun to see what someone is going to write next.When my hiend Audio friends ask me what type of speakers I listen to and I tell them Klipschorns,they respond almost in shock KLIPSCHORNS!!!!, then I have them come by for a listen and once they do they are usually shocked.Now to get back on track, I really love the sound I am getting with my Western Electric wires.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

I have watched this tread ramble on and on, how did a post that started out asking about the difference in 2 sets of speakerwires turn into this .I thought when I posted this tread I would get some debates about wires and how they don’t make a difference and to some that may be true,but to my ears I can tell a difference at least I can in my system.Call me crazy (my wife does)I enjoy trying different amps, Int amps,preamps and sources.I mean no offense to anyone posting and it has been fun to see what someone is going to write next.When my hiend Audio friends ask me what type of speakers I listen to and I tell them Klipschorns,they respond almost in shock KLIPSCHORNS!!!!, then I have them come by for a listen and once they do they are usually shocked.Now to get back on track, I really love the sound I am getting with my Western Electric wires.

My understanding is that in addition to the wires, you did other modifications also (drivers and horns).

In all fairness did you systematically determine what the subjective changes each modification may have contributed?

5 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Okay, I will take the bait. 

I remember seeing that  Parts Connexion had some version of  a 10uF Copper Foil Duelund for a discounted price of $1,300. There was some controversy about whether it needed 200 vs 400 hours of break in. Sounds "fancy" to me!

Once again, this silliness leads some folks away from sensible strategies for getting better sound. That is unfortunate!

Good Luck, 

-Tom 

I wasn't trying to bait you, I just wanted clarification. I honestly can't think of anyone around here that has gone down that rabbit hole -- that's a crazy amount of money for a part. What you call "fancy", I call "voodoo". I build with, and point people to film and foils as opposed to metalized. You can completely recap an AA filter using film and foils for less than $225. Fully protected film and foils are more, but it's not a requirement for great performance, just longevity. I totally agree with your last statement. I have turned people away after hearing what their equipment list consists of. On more than one occasion I've recommend Bob and a new receiver or integrated.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Everyone is so kind !!

What crossover were you using, building or manufacturing,  41 years ago?  This is an early, less advanced one. 

Back then,  Bob's  big J-Modular speakers got a #1 / " A" rating , "State Of The Art ", along with my friend Arnie Nudell's Infinity Servo Stat 1A, , by  Mr. Gordon Holt, Editor of Stereophile Magazine..  They were the Co-Champions .  I owned versions of both of them.

See the 57 1/8th inch Browns going from points on the crossover, trailing off the photo's bottom - left ?  Its actually going  to upper woofer and lower woofer.  See the 14 1/4 inch Brown leads, connecting  some key higher-current runs of the woofer section?  See the two 7 1/8th inch Brown runs connecting key parts?  

Jeffrey Medwin  

From all that' I've read, he never seemed to be able to keep a model in the lineup very long before trying to "update" it.  Doesn't do much for a company when you're changing models all the time and, what little dealers were selling his line, tough to stock it would seem unless everyone back then was good with opening up a  pair of speakers to add something minimal.

41 years ago I was 11 and listening to music because I enjoyed listening to "music" just as I am now at 52 versus chasing continual tweaks and upgrades.  

That wire could be dropped in length by an inch, or a foot, and the average person would never hear an iota of difference in them.  Maybe 0.0000001% of the world which makes for a very tiny market share that manufacturers would go broke chasing.

9 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

My understanding is that in addition to the wires, you did other modifications also (drivers and horns).

In all fairness did you systematically determine what the subjective changes each modification may have contributed?

9 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I changed the wire first and then I made the other changes at the same time, changing the wires got me excited enough to make the other changes and I am more than pleased with my results.

• Like 1