Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

53 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I am glad things worked out well for you. Some of us would be interested in your thoughts on the other changes you made and the nature of the differences .

Good Luck,

-Tom

I have enjoyed this hobby for 40 years and during that time I have owned many pairs of top quality speakers,infinity rs 4.5’s,ads l2030’s ,Klipschorns,and many current day ultra hi end speakers,I miss the l2030 those were great speakers,but they need high power amps to drive them.I always loved Klipschorns,easy to drive and when setup in the right room they can do things no other speaker can do.The only downside to me is that after a couple of hours of listening  I get tired of listening to them.Then I found this forum and I read about the upgrades.2 things that I did not like about upgrading the speakers 1 they would no longer be a true Klipsch speaker and 2 the cost.I was lucky I picked up Cigarbum modded Klipsch and after I little work that got me hooked.I then began to piece by piece buy everything I needed to mod my current AK-4 Klipschorns,I played them for a month before making my changes.I kept switching out speakers and I finally decided to change the wires on my Klipschorns and when I did that I like what I heard,so I then changed out the horn using an adapter to use Klipsch drivers,if I didn’t have the other mids and tweeters I would have probably been ok, but first I tried the B&c dcm-50 midrange with de-120-8 tweeter and the alk cornscala universal crossover,open clear with no brightness.After a couple of days I switched out the B&C midrange for the bms-4592 nd mids and the bms midranges are the ones I plan on keeping in my speakers, I have a Volti vtk-400 crossover I may swap out,but for now I like the alk crossovers .I never intended to change these speakers,but after finishing I am glad I did.The bass is deep and fills the room without being too boomy and the detail I am getting from the avolti horns,with the alk crossovers and de-120-8 tweeters and bms-4592nd midranges are the best I have had in my system.I have switched back between 3 amp combinations line magnetic lm-126i ,inspire sep power amp and lp-3.a preamp and Primaluna Prologue Premium preamp and power amp.Each setup has it strong points.the Inspire pieces have a more open sound,th Primaluna is dead quiet and more dynamic and I am still playing the line magnetic and trying to decide the outcome on it.My wife is getting tired of hearing the same tracks over and over,but I tell her that is they only way I can really tell which sounds the best.Sorry to run on and on.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:54 PM, Davis said:

So when I stagger off to bed and forget to turn the amp off it is a good thing!

I knew it, I just knew it.

Actually, in some cases it is better to leave power amps turned on.  Last year, I spoke with a Yamaha Music Canada rep at an open house at Atlas AVU (Audio Video Unlimited), one of the better home sound and vision shops here in town.  

When I asked the Yamaha rep about leaving components on or just turning them on when they’re being used, he told me that Yamaha recommends leaving their power amps on, since this eliminates the power surges that happen during turn-on/turn-off, which shortens the lives of amplifiers.  However, with receivers and maybe integrated amps, it gets a bit more complicated, since their displays and other features age whenever they’re turned on, so receivers and maybe integrated power amps should not be left on all the time.

Happily, the Class D power amps that I use draw very little power at idle, so it’s not like I’m heating the room and spinning the little wheel in the power meter outside my place.  I’ve seen in writing a few times that many SS amps, mine included, can take 24 hours or so to stabilize and sound their best after being turned on.  I haven’t personally tested this, but it sounds plausible.  Are tube power amps also like that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

the Packard automotive plant in Detroit. 3.5 mil square foot of trussed steerl reinforced concrete is still actually quite structally sound.

Fun fact...The Electronics Tech school that I attended and graduated from was right across Grand Boulevard from this plant. Parked in one of their parking lots quite often when school lot was full. Although closed and defunct at that time it did not look like bombs had hit it, this was circa 1978-1980.

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Fun fact...The Electronics Tech school that I attended and graduated from was right across Grand Boulevard from this plant.

What was the name of the Tech School?

Was it Radio, Electronics and Telephone School?

Wow, twin sons of different mothers. I knew my school get taken over by National Technical Schools or some such after my tenure. I think they're all defunct now? As my current employer is finding out it is very hard to find people that know how stuff works down at the nuts and bolts level. Computer Science and programming sure a dime a dozen, but how does transistor work not so much. I'm part of a dying breed.

23 minutes ago, babadono said:

Wow, twin sons of different mothers. I knew my school get taken over by National Technical Schools or some such after my tenure. I think they're all defunct now? As my current employer is finding out it is very hard to find people that know how stuff works down at the nuts and bolts level. Computer Science and programming sure a dime a dozen, but how does transistor work not so much. I'm part of a dying breed.

I have not done much component level electronics except for fun in a long time. While attending RETS  I was working for a Railroad/Transit signal company as a draftsman so I moved into design from there. DC relay logic track circuits and grade crossing control circuits mainly. Then to an Architectural/Engineering firm where it was everything from 480 volt 3 phase to low voltage sound, fire, data networks and everything in between required for building design.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:59 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Inside an a DIY amp I am constructing, one can often hear the difference between one inch of 16 AWG versus the use of 10 AWG for that same one inch span. 

giphy.gif 

41 minutes ago, Deang said:

:pwk_bs:

source.gif

3 minutes ago, Davis said:

That BS button is entirely to small for the statement it references.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid, the horns sign meant bullshit, and I thought that was universal.  Later, however, it seemed to mean “rock on”, “Satan rules”, and “l love you”, or just “love”.  And to Italians, it means “your wife is unfaithful”.  Say what?  It means that you “wear the horns of the cuckold”, or unlucky husband.  It’s very confusing, but three of the meanings I listed do use the “horn” concept, so that helps a little bit.

I suppose that with only a handful of hand signs that are known to the average person, it would be inevitable that more meanings would be attached to each sign, making the hand sign handier, but the “horns” sign seem to be the primary example of this, with the other signs having only a few meanings in each spoken language.  Yes, among people who speak different languages, hand signs can have very different meanings than they do to English speakers, leading to occasional embarrassment for tourists and others who assume that their hand signs “obviously” mean the same thing to everybody.