Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

1 hour ago, babadono said:
9 hours ago, glens said:

The length-to-width ratio of the line between the dam and the house is considerably higher than that of the fuse's internals.

Do you really think so? I would like to see the math. One things for certain the line from the dam won't fuse at 3 amperes.

.008" by what, 1-1/4"?  The skin depth of 60Hz AC is ~1/2", so they won't be using wire any larger than 1" diameter, so that's a reasonable dimension to maximize the resultant "big wire length."  Plugging the three knowns into a ratio of proportions gives us (0.5 * 1.25 / 0.008) for 78-1/8" of 1" wire being the equivalent length-to-width of the fuse wire.

Therefore, I declare that (3 * 57-1/8 / 78-1/8 =) 2.1936 ampere fuses are the most musical.

2 hours ago, Edgar said:
2 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Or start with a motor-generator and go from there, then you could positively eliminate noise from the utility.

If generating your own, might as well generate 3-phase. Much less ripple to filter-out.

Or just generate DC and be done with it?

One could say that rectified 3-phase has three times the ripple, just at a lower intensity :^)

Jeffrey, I actually believe you are sincere and going down this path of audio quality in your own way. While I do not agree with your strategy, you are entitled to your opinions. Certainly there are other "over the top opinions" floating around this forum. 

What I find more bothersome, is the rudeness some of the others are showing. This forum is not by invitation only and in the past it has been more welcoming of newer folks (even with very different ideas). Maybe all sides could calm down a bit. 

Good Luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, glens said:

Or just generate DC and be done with it?

That fits right in with my original suggestion of abandoning 120 VAC and using DC.

One could say that rectified 3-phase has three times the ripple, just at a lower intensity :^)

Rectified 120 VRMS single-phase has two "dips" from 170 V to 0 V per cycle. Rectified 120 VRMS 3-phase has six "dips" from 170 V to 147 V per cycle. The 3-phase ripple is higher frequency but 17dB lower amplitude.

6 hours ago, MookieStl said:

@bkwa1959 as the OP on this thread, you can request to have it locked to any further posts. We have all been enlightened enough. 

How, I am amused that this tread is still going on like this with no reference to the original post.If a moderator wants to close it that have at it.

1 hour ago, bkwa1959 said:
8 hours ago, MookieStl said:

@bkwa1959 as the OP on this thread, you can request to have it locked to any further posts. We have all been enlightened enough. 

How, I am amused that this tread is still going on like this with no reference to the original post.If a moderator wants to close it that have at it.

Oh yes comedy gold and no one has to tune in here since they know what is going on. Admit it MookieStl you could not sit down and be this creative and there is a form of literary genius at work here.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I have my VOTTS set up,  ( A7-8s)  after several years, finally,  to where I am happy with them, and the new KT88 DC SE amp looks like it will have me quite satisfied. 

I have three of those on my storage rack ready for rebuilding. What would you recommend I do for the best possible sound?

10 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Dave, don't waste your time, you have better things to do....

I don't know Jim, I like Monty Python too although my wife thinks it is a complete waste of time. Far Side is another one and absurd things just entertain me I guess. It's like John Cleese was here and writing the Ministry of Silly Wires.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

emoji15.png
Elvis has left the building. Thank you and good night.

Truckin' got my chips cashed in. Keep truckin', like the do-dah man

Together, more or less in line, just keep truckin' on....

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

Oh yes comedy gold and no one has to tune in here since they know what is going on. Admit it MookieStl you could not sit down and be this creative and there is a form of literary genius at work here.

Dave, you're right, I am just too stupid to recognize genius!

It would have been a shame to lock the thread before the best pearl of wisdom was spewed. He edited, but looks like Code captured it.

=== several pages back I believe JDM wondered out loud if there was a Forum member in the KC area where he could maybe have a listen   to Klipsch speakers with his newly developed KT88 tuber. Indeed there is, right here, where you could hear what your amp can do with Jubilees and/or LaScalas and/or Quartets and/or Heresy 1, lll and/or RB75. However two issues do stand in the way of that happening - one being the internal wiring of any of my Pass Labs gear not meeting your approval and the aforementioned Mr. Pass, being a yet to be discovered novice in the field of amplification, would turn tail and leave the field before leaving his mark. Two being I am still a member in good standing with the FBIs’ witness protection program hence my physical location shall remain “unknown”. Otherwise, you are more than welcome —

9 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Dear Dave A:

Ship all three to me for careful inspection.   You maybe won't like front-firing, directly-radiating into the room at you 15 inch woofers , woofers that are front horn loaded, from 135 hZ on up.  The two-way A7-8 has a very poor deep low-end compared to any Klipschhorn .   That alone, is a critical negative amongst true audiophiles.  And besides,  there are no provisions for employing banana plugs. 

Jeffrey Medwin 

Actually I do like A7's and they are one of the very few speakers that are not Klipsch I will work on. I was just hoping to get recommendations on what to do to make them be their very best full frontal audio experience.

I have to admit to being a bit confused though by your audiophile comment. I though you had stated elsewhere that those A7's were the very best thing out there and that is why you had a set of them and now you are saying they are not audiophile grade quality. Are you telling me not to bother fixing these up?