Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

One thing all you freaking idiots can't seem to possibly understand is that zip tie color and orientation have an impact on the sound.  I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 5% for the color, but pushing 7% for the orientation.  Get capacitor (bundle) orientation (9%) and general wiring (13%) up to spec first and I'll school you on zip ties.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, glens said:

and orientation have an impact on the sound

OK, so does that mean that putting them on my ankles rather than looped through my toes will have a dramatic impact on the sound quality?  I never even considered that......

Well, I can see right off you ain't put much thought into it, 'cause that's one of the elementary scenarios.

I'll give a hint.  One might conclude that a zip tie's physical orientation requirement has something to do with the earth's magnetic field and experiment with them that way, but that's a dead end.  Rather, it's tied to latitude.  At the equator there's no difference between the two possible correct orientations.  However, as you locate away from the equator, northward requires the opposite of southward.  At either of the poles (not actually confirmed at the south pole, but it stands to both logic and reason it's the same as at the north pole) there is no clear requirement - all directions sound the same!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, so does that mean that putting them on my ankles rather than looped through my toes will have a dramatic impact on the sound quality?  I never even considered that......

Well it will. When your head bonks off the horizontal flat surface the way you fall determined by where the ties are will create differing sounds. Restrained angry words VS totally angry words for instance.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:29 PM, bkwa1959 said:

I have installed the NOS Western Electric 14ga wire in speakers,crossovers,tweeters,mids and woofers I can tell a difference.My cost was a 1.54 a foot and money well spent.Everyone has different opinions on cables, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what works best in your system and how each move we make helps our system.

Good to know that your wiring upgrade made an improvement for you.

7 hours ago, jimjimbo said:
7 hours ago, glens said:

Also, zip ties should be 5.718" or multiples/factors thereof.  Trust me.

I do trust you.  Why though, I'm not sure.

When I say shit like that, do not trust me!  (Or anyone else when they do.)

15 hours ago, Dave A said:

Humor is endless and timeless and why would one want to limit it? Admittedly it has veered a bit off course but still does serve a purpose.

Absolutely!  And your "Ministry of Silly Wires" is such a gem that it alone justifies the continuation of the thread! 

If I am ever again tempted to argue with logic against the Gentleman from Missouri, I will remind myself of the Ministry of Silly Wires and have another laugh...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Backfire said:

Absolutely!  And your "Ministry of Silly Wires" is such a gem that it alone justifies the continuation of the thread!

Given the treatise above on the colors of zip ties, I offer the following:

KEEPER: Stop! What is your name?

GALAHAD: Sir Galahad of Camelot.

KEEPER: What is your quest?

GALAHAD: I seek the Grail.

KEEPER: What is your favorite color?

GALAHAD: Blue. No yel-- Auuuuuuuugh!

19 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Black pigments has been widely discussed before,  The other colors were new

The only thing I know about black tie-wraps, performance wise, is that they do not degrade in sunlight like the "clear" ones do. All of the other information about different colors is bullshit.

4 hours ago, Don Richard said:

The only thing I know about black tie-wraps, performance wise, is that they do not degrade in sunlight like the "clear" ones do. All of the other information about different colors is bullshit.

You're not embracing the spirit of the thread.