Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

38 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I forget, did the color of the tape matter on those golf ball thingies JDM was touting?

D1137CEF-87EE-4FA1-A097-16A360A88571.jpeg

What about the golf balls? Solid or liquid center? How many dimples? Balata or urethane cover? 100 or 90 compression? Would a green or orange color matter?

What if I used a black marker to put my initials on them?? 

Cincy

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cincymat said:

What about the golf balls? Solid or liquid center? How many dimples? Balata or urethane cover? 100 or 90 compression? Would a green or orange color matter?

Cincy

I am not sure about the color, but you should always use the two piece balls designed for distance if you be using your speakers outdoors.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

I am not sure about the color, but you should always use the two piece balls designed for distance if you be using your speakers outdoors.

But, I think some vintage Titleist Balata 90 compression wound with liquid centers would be the best to mount mid-range horns. Nice and soft! 

Just don't use red zip ties to hold them in place....

Cincy

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 8:18 PM, bkwa1959 said:

I am getting ready to upgrade a pair of Klipschorns with 2” tractrix horns,bms 4592nd mids,beyma cp-25 tweeters and ALK crossovers and I was going to upgrade wires.In the past I have used 14ga speaker wires and I was thinking of trying vintage 14ga western electric or new Duelund wires,both of those can get expensive .Has anyone tried the 2

In LaScala, I have tried WE 14 ga from X-over to mid, and WE 16 ga to tweeter.  Prefer Duelund 16 ga to both mid and tweeter.

I suppose I could twist (2) Duelund 16 ga together to get a 13 ga and try that; but I am too lazy.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

I forget, did the color of the tape matter on those golf ball thingies JDM was touting?

D1137CEF-87EE-4FA1-A097-16A360A88571.jpeg

No and the brands and numbers of hardness of the golf balls did not have to match either if I remember right.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, maxima95 said:

In LaScala, I have tried WE 14 ga from X-over to mid, and WE 16 ga to tweeter.  Prefer Duelund 16 ga to both mid and tweeter.

I suppose I could twist (2) Duelund 16 ga together to get a 13 ga and try that; but I am too lazy.

Being serious here 14g is way more than adequate and Klipsch never felt the need to use anything that heavy as far as I know. I have tried twisting wire pairs for the heck of it but I could not hear any difference. 14g speaker wire is all you will ever need and fancy stuff is just a good way to part you from your money for no gain to your sound quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cincymat said:

Cincy

This was not the final version as it does not have all those concrete pavers on it. I think for it to all work right the synergy gained by the aggregate of all the concepts must be done.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, avguytx said:

You would think the faded and peeling old gray cabinets would totally screw up the proper color choice of zip ties in the amplifier and totally negate the whole process.  

What puzzles me is a comment was made earlier in this thread to the effect that the A7's bass was insufficient for audiophiles but then on other posts it morphs into the best speakers ever.

35 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I'm sure the 18 gauge wire is there simply to save weight....

Cincy

Oh, sure, the woofers are about 20 lbs. each... there's not much wire in those bins.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

The bass horn on the Altec doesn't do a whole lot. It that a putting green on top of the A7?

The factory wiring in my MWM bins is 18 gauge.

The short straight horn of the Altec Lansing is better in some ways and not in others. Deep bass ? Really needs a sub but the mids are cleaner.

Only 18 gauge wire ? Looks like you will need to alter a set of jumper cables to re-wire those cabinets from what I've been hearing around here. :D

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

This was not the final version as it does not have all those concrete pavers on it. I think for it to all work right the synergy gained by the aggregate of all the concepts must be done.

=== I just pray to Gawd you’re playing Titleist —. Fore —🏌🏼‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
On 8/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

" and your definitely not the teacher. "

Someone should teach this poster - how to spell , and,  how to discern .

That was a bad move.  If you have Elden to the point of calling BS than you are over the line, and I don't even need to read the posts to know that.

Jeffrey, you need to take a break from this thread for at least a week.  Please focus on your MT v. MO amp thread or post new threads with something you feel would be educational, stay out of this thread.

10 hours ago, Dave A said:

I think for it to all work right the synergy gained by the aggregate of all the concepts must be done.

Every single-digit percent improvement adds up!  And some of the concepts are foundations upon which others must rest to have their desired (dreamt?) results.

10 hours ago, maxima95 said:

One step forward, two back.  The individually-jacketed wires are not to be in physical contact according to the legend.  It would have to be a loose twist indeed!

10 hours ago, avguytx said:

You would think the faded and peeling old gray cabinets would totally screw up the proper color choice of zip ties in the amplifier and totally negate the whole process.  

So it would seem, but the fact of the matter is that zip ties, of any color, are all systematically removed and all the wire bundles get fluffed to prevent any two wires from touching each other between terminations.  It was with a certain level of disingenuity that mention was made of the effect the zip ties' colors have on electrical signals.  Unless, perhaps, the notion that the color "absent" provides the most musical enjoyment, but that fact was not mentioned for some accidental reason?