Rewiring Klipschorns

bkwa1959

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

image.png.f687529faac58cd5a449c22d59240541.png

that it is American Sign Language (ASL) slang for I love you. It is a combination of the signing of "I", "L" and the "U" of the alphabet.

Even though the "U" is the first and middle finger upright held together.

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

The thumb is supposed to also be sticking out.

Thanks for the correction.  I’ve only seen it done (flashed?) by people who were likely guessing at it.  So is signing with ASL at conversational speed like playing an instrument, with muscle memory coming into play, or is it like riding a bicycle, like once you learn it, you’ve got it?

On 8/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

In my world, which few totally understand,

I'm really surprised that statement wasn't "jumped all over."

I would not worry so much about the absolute value of the cap, but rather, seek to get the highest quality of affordable multiple caps, to make up a " multiple capacitor bunch " to do the entire music spectrum linearly, not leaving any of the music out !! . 

Normally I would assume such a statement wasn't intended to actually convey the notion which was expressed.

Jeff, are you saying that if a high-pass filter design specifies some μF value, it doesn't matter how many capacitors you combine to get that value?  Or, God forbid, are you actually intending to say that the specified value is really immaterial?

I'd say "we've already discussed in the Capacitor Orientation Thread of a few months ago the effective ranges of the various capacitor values you specify, and what effect they could possibly have in a loudspeaker crossover" but there was only me talking during that discussion. 

You seem to care little about drawing distinction between disparate uses of capacitors, instead lumping them all together.  This is your chance to address this question specifically:  Is it important to match as closely as is practical a loudspeaker crossover capacitor design value, in whichever way, or is it unimportant?

On 8/15/2019 at 3:47 PM, DizRotus said:

You could be left stranded.

Are we now saying we are concerned about the rotation of the wire inside its sheath??

(I am SO yesterday....)

5 hours ago, Islander said:

Thanks for the correction.  I’ve only seen it done (flashed?) by people who were likely guessing at it.  So is signing with ASL at conversational speed like playing an instrument, with muscle memory coming into play, or is it like riding a bicycle, like once you learn it, you’ve got it?

Today at work, I spent the day at the Knoxville School for the Deaf.  (since my wife never listens to me, I felt right at home!!)

Anyway, for about six of my individual meetings, they provided an interpreter (professional).  She basically told me to forget she's there and just speak normal.  It was pretty interesting being in that dynamic.  I'd be speaking, the person I'm talking to is looking over my shoulder "reading" what I'm saying.  Then THEY say (sign) something and "a voice from behind me" tells me what he/she is saying.

There was very little lag in the conversation except for when I got into some of the technical stuff that the interpreter wasn't quite sure how to translate.

They're impressive.

49 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Are we now saying we are concerned about the rotation of the wire inside its sheath??

(I am SO yesterday....)

Today at work, I spent the day at the Knoxville School for the Deaf.  (since my wife never listens to me, I felt right at home!!).

There was very little lag in the conversation except for when I got into some of the technical stuff that the interpreter wasn't quite sure how to translate.

They're impressive.

That does sound interesting and impressive.  Thanks for sharing this.

7 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

On that 8 uF designated value of a speaker crossover, it would be MUCH MUCH better to never use a single 8 uF cap, that's NOT good audio design at all, but instead INTELLIGENTLY use a bundle of five or more film caps.  Lets say the combined value of the main cap, and the bypasses, totals in the range of 7.0 uF to 9.0 uf.  I tell you, this is FAR FAR better, ...

Am I clear to you in my answer sir ??  It was so nice to see an intelligent question posted !!  Thanks.

Thanks for clearing that up.

In that other thread I'd addressed the reactance of several of the values you'd declared pertinent to portions of the audio spectrum, and how at each of those elevated levels of reactance they can only account for passing a miniscule portion of the signal on to the driver.  As I'd also said, the audio ranges you gave for the values may indeed be more applicable to the impedances inside an amplifier.  But aren't you direct-coupling everything there?  Not really a question to you there...

9 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

On that 8 uF designated value of a speaker crossover, it would be MUCH MUCH better to never use a single 8 uF cap, that's NOT good audio design at all, but instead INTELLIGENTLY use a bundle of five or more film caps.  Lets say the combined value of the main cap, and the bypasses, totals in the range of 7.0 uF to 9.0 uf.  I tell you, this is FAR FAR better, because it plays all the music back to us, than any single cap of 8 uF precisely,  can do !!  No contest.

Ummm....does this mean that @Deang would have a lot of crossovers to redo??