The Klipsch Audio Community
bkwa1959

Rewiring Klipschorns

8 hours ago, Don Richard said:

Well, I have used a Weller WCTPC 60 watt production soldering station with an 800 degree chisel tip to solder 12 gage wire to the inside of a 1/2 inch schedule 40 stainless steel pipe. Previously that job had been done using a propane torch, so... I'm pretty sure that soldering station could solder any wire you have used in amplifier builds.

Psssssst, Don....Don....Don....

The issue there is, is your soldering iron 9.54038 inches long?  It has to be 9.54038 inches long to maximize its performance perfectly.

Side comment....  as I re-read the above, I'm getting a gut feeling it could be misconstrued differently than my intentions, but....I'm not going there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

And you tightly tie the capacitors on to a crossover board with multiple tie wraps,  intersecting  and disturbing their energy paths.   And also maybe have cap bodies touch each other.

What about the spectacular wiring from your hero's crossovers in those speakers of his? There is all kinds of jacked up on energy paths going on with those. The crossover itself looks disturbed.  

2068928-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg.fa85250ffeb9fb9a6774db4562fd3a7e.jpg

• Confused 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:44 PM, babadono said:

Today's quiz: Who was it that said "It won't make a dimes worth of difference" ?

Ben Franklin LOL

Mark

3 hours ago, Deang said:

What's a "fancy" capacitor? Or, what makes a capacitor "fancy"?

Frilly pants.

He keeps saying it. I keep asking. I never get an answer.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

quit the snide remarks, henceforth.  Its no joy to act at that level.

Uh, excuse me sir. I must assert the highest level of disagreement with this statement.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

What about the spectacular wiring from your hero's crossovers in those speakers of his? There is all kinds of jacked up on energy paths going on with those. The crossover itself looks disturbed.  

2068928-fulton-premier-modular-speaker-fmi.jpg.fa85250ffeb9fb9a6774db4562fd3a7e.jpg

Everyone is so kind !!

What crossover were you using, building or manufacturing,  41 years ago?  This is an early, less advanced one. 

Back then,  Bob's  big J-Modular speakers got a #1 / " A" rating , "State Of The Art ", along with my friend Arnie Nudell's Infinity Servo Stat 1A, , by  Mr. Gordon Holt, Editor of Stereophile Magazine..  They were the Co-Champions .  I owned versions of both of them.

See the 57 1/8th inch Browns going from points on the crossover, trailing off the photo's bottom - left ?  Its actually going  to upper woofer and lower woofer.  See the 14 1/4 inch Brown leads, connecting  some key higher-current runs of the woofer section?  See the two 7 1/8th inch Brown runs connecting key parts?  

Jeffrey Medwin  

I think I'm going to go listen to music tonight.  On my Klipschorns with Type A crossovers, recapped with zip tie hold-downs and budget whatever-the-length-it-is 16ga wire laying on the floor that I got from Amazon, coupled to my simple amplifier driven by a dirty jittery FLAC player, all in my extremely small room with run of the mill power....  and you know what? 

It will be glorious to me, and you know what else? 

You might disagree.  Guess what?  That's your right. 

And finally, I don't really care, because I define what sounds good to me at this stage in my life and my hearing and my musical tastes and my sound coloration tastes and nobody else does.  I'm not about to tell anyone that they don't know what good is.  I can't hear what they hear.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

I think I'm going to go listen to music tonight.  On my Klipschorns with Type A crossovers, recapped with zip tie hold-downs and budget whatever-the-length-it-is 16ga wire laying on the floor that I got from Amazon, coupled to my simple amplifier driven by a dirty jittery FLAC player, all in my extremely small room with run of the mill power....  and you know what? 

It will be glorious to me, and you know what else? 

You might disagree.  Guess what?  That's your right. 

And finally, I don't really care, because I define what sounds good to me at this stage in my life and my hearing and my musical tastes and my sound coloration tastes and nobody else does.  I'm not about to tell anyone that they don't know what good is.  I can't hear what they hear.

Have fun !!   No one advised you what to do .  Only the original poster asked about wiring his K Horns.  I gave him a specific answer, as  best as I could, as did a couple others.

I listened tonight, enjoyed it, but now am THINKING of a small amp change!!  Never ends. 

There's listening to music for the joy of the music and there's listening to anything for the joy of it being reproduced to the taste of the listener.  I fall more towards the former than the latter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

Underneath a Yugo dashboard...

Mike, 

Truth is, those are six PACKARD motor vehicle starting solenoids, called " Wroinkers" by the Factory employees, to mimic the sound of a car starting !!  

Cool.

Jeffrey Medwin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Underneath a Yugo dashboard...

Mike, 

Here is what I currently use, for the Original Poster to see ..

301217948_SNIP40.JPG.67fae219b02443c25a422b78a40639bf.JPG

794004440_SNIP42.JPG.bd010f627195d91ba6c3485f892e888b.JPG

Jeffrey Medwin

Seems I remember a Packard Bell entity ...👕

11 hours ago, Deang said:

What's a "fancy" capacitor? Or, what makes a capacitor "fancy"?

Okay, I will take the bait. 

I remember seeing that  Parts Connexion had some version of  a 10uF Copper Foil Duelund for a discounted price of $1,300. There was some controversy about whether it needed 200 vs 400 hours of break in. Sounds "fancy" to me!

Once again, this silliness leads some folks away from sensible strategies for getting better sound. That is unfortunate!

Good Luck, 

-Tom 

I sure feel sorry for the original poster.

JJK

11 hours ago, Deang said:

Nothing a zip tie can't fix.

Wouldn't that intersect and disturb your energy path?  You'll end up with an 8 ga military spec catheter.

5 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Okay, I will take the bait. 

I remember seeing that  Parts Connexion had some version of  a 10uF Copper Foil Duelund for a discounted price of $1,300. There was some controversy about whether it needed 200 vs 400 hours of break in. Sounds "fancy" to me!

Once again, this silliness leads some folks away from sensible strategies for getting better sound. That is unfortunate!

Good Luck, 

-Tom 

Tom, 

I agree with you on such a part.  No one capacitor can do all the bandwidth, and all the dynamics, properly.  Not a one.  Certainly not Dueland.  I know people who have played with Duelands,  who earned my trust over 20 plus years,  and would take their word.  Capacitors are THE worst part in audio design.  That is WHY I Direct Couple, can't beat some Cardas or Siltec silver wire !  

In my world, which few totally understand, I would not worry so much about the absolute value of the cap, but rather, seek to get the highest quality of affordable multiple caps, to make up a " multiple capacitor bunch " to do the entire music spectrum linearly, not leaving any of the music out !! .  This gets expensive, but not silly-so.  But it out-performs all other build approaches, performance-wise.

I could easily out perform that single 10 uF Dueland with a 10 uF DynamiCap as a start (  $87.95 )  and them add ( often four, and as many as six, if needed ) multiple smaller additional caps, to get the full musical expression.  DynamiCaps are DESIGNED to do this, and they combine well.  If there were four added caps, as determined by listening to music, the four would total in cost $123.75 ( or $30.94 average, each added cap ).  The TOTAL bundle will be Main cap at $87.95 plus $123.75 for add-ons, or a TOTAL of $211.70, which will handily out-perform that $1,300 discounted Dueland. 

Great tube amps get expensive, because that average cost of $211.70 gets applied in many places there is a cap in the Power Supply. What I find interesting is, certain values of a Manufacturer sound better than all other values they produce.  I have not tried em all, but NO ONE has ever outperformed a 0.68 uF DynamiCap E, or a DynamiCap 0.013 Hotrod.  No supplier has these two DynamiCap values in stock, so I had REL manufacture 0.68 Es for me and my close audio DIY friends, over a year ago.  I was told, the only other Manufacturer who uses that part / value  is Audio Research Corp.  Its awesome, almost unbelievable as to what the 0.68 DynamiCap E does,  musically, as a bypass.  

I agree with you, on stupid spending for parts, but some of us are smart enough to have figured out, what performs best , and at 16.2 percent of that discounted Dueland cost.  Count me in in the former, not the later group Tom !!  Audio design is done by ear, and its an art form !!  Its not inexpensive, if you seek the best possible result and highest performance !!  

One other thing Tom, only one or MAYBE two people in all of audio, IMHO, know how to really do multiple cap bypassing superbly.  That is  one reason why I drove 3,500 miles to and from Montana, with my newest KT88 amp, a couple weeks ago.

Have fun, I do .

I am taking a vacation for the rest of this week.  Comment as you like.  You can judge me, while I'm gone, and I judge you.  That is fair.  'Have to prepare a Sunday School lesson for this weekend, for my class, my turn to teach.  No Internet, no Forum posting till its prepared and given.

Jeff Medwin

I have watched this tread ramble on and on, how did a post that started out asking about the difference in 2 sets of speakerwires turn into this .I thought when I posted this tread I would get some debates about wires and how they don’t make a difference and to some that may be true,but to my ears I can tell a difference at least I can in my system.Call me crazy (my wife does)I enjoy trying different amps, Int amps,preamps and sources.I mean no offense to anyone posting and it has been fun to see what someone is going to write next.When my hiend Audio friends ask me what type of speakers I listen to and I tell them Klipschorns,they respond almost in shock KLIPSCHORNS!!!!, then I have them come by for a listen and once they do they are usually shocked.Now to get back on track, I really love the sound I am getting with my Western Electric wires.

• Like 3