The Klipsch Audio Community
bkwa1959

Rewiring Klipschorns

15 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Jeffrey,

So you bypass your fuse with a switch. How do you know which switch to use? Do they sound different to you?

If a switch-bypassed fuse sounds better than a fuse, do you use a power cord and electrical outlet combo? Wouldn’t a direct-wired setup sound better?

Have you tried different circuit breakers?

I am genuinely curious as to the depth of your perception ability.

Keep in mind, once again, I don’t think I could hear any of this.

Fuse and a turn-on Thermistor ( CL-90 ) on the power XFR Primary is capable of being switched out.  Of course they sound different.  I use a source-feed power supply filter ( LSES ) and the wire path, and its construction, is highly audible. 

I use a directly wired 114 1/4 inch powercord.  Never an IEC socket, especially to a 15 A.rated IEC ( the most popular, but 20 A. rated ones exist !! ) .  Always a direct power cord wire, typically to a Magnum Terminal Block, and all 120 VAC switching uses contacts  wired by me in parallel. .

See this, my early 2019 KT88 amp build thread, which recently exceeded 134.000 Views.  Look here please:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182623-kt88-direct-coupled-design/&do=findComment&comment=2379730

I have not messed with circuit breakers.

You MAY be able to hear this .... on my home system.  Am not sure. 

I don't have good hearing, but do have lots of experience with live and reproduced sounds.

Regards and best wishes.  See the KT88 amp-build thread please.

Jeff Medwin

On 8/17/2019 at 9:40 PM, dwilawyer said:

I liked the voice coil thickness idea, however, what I really want to know is the thickness of the wire in a typical amp fuse. 

Because you asked, and I am also curious, I measured a 3 ampere fuse, similar to the ones used in some pro woofer cabinets.

P1030276.JPG.7e04b3852ddcf215877150793dccd464.JPG

P1030275.JPG.b50cd67a9475bb8d34144fba1f95680e.JPG

1 minute ago, Khornukopia said:

Because you asked, and I am also curious, I measured a 3 ampere fuse, similar to the ones used in some pro woofer cabinets.

P1030276.JPG.7e04b3852ddcf215877150793dccd464.JPG

P1030275.JPG.b50cd67a9475bb8d34144fba1f95680e.JPG

Ah.....the thickness that will fuse at 3 amperes:)

3 minutes ago, babadono said:

Ah.....the thickness that will fuse at 3 amperes:)

I want to measure the wire from Hoover Dam to your house, but I can't find my insulated tape measure.

The length-to-width ratio of the line between the dam and the house is considerably higher than that of the fuse's internals.

Just looking at the pictures, I'd say that fuse couldn't hardly carry but a few Amperes, and even then not for very long before it becomes a light source.  No way in hell the leading edge of a transient can get through that thing unscathed!  For the very best mind-blowing performance you absolutely must bypass it with 57-1/8 inches of #8 high-silver-content wire. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Or just wrap it with aluminum foil....

On 8/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

I don't have good hearing, but do have lots of experience with live and reproduced sounds.

So if you "don't have good hearing", then how do you know if any of these things make a difference in the first place?  This makes absolutely no sense.  Why even waste all the time and money on these so-called upgrades if your hearing isn't even that great?  This would be the main reason I don't jack around with overpriced gear, updates, upgrades, cables, etc.....I just don't hear a justifiable difference.  I'd rather spend the money buying music to LISTEN to versus always messing with something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

So if you "don't have good hearing", then how do you know if any of these things make a difference in the first place?  This makes absolutely no sense.  Why even waste all the time and money on these so-called upgrades if your hearing isn't even that great?  This would be the main reason I don't jack around with overpriced gear, updates, upgrades, cables, etc.....I just don't hear a justifiable difference.  I'd rather spend the money buying music to LISTEN to versus always messing with something.

Please try to refrain from using logic in the future.  It has no place in this discussion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, avguytx said:

He's bored and craves attention.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Good morning.  

What you apparently don't know is how older experienced audio people hear and can react to a hi fi system, so as to determine what is musically correct, or incorrect in high-quality audio playback. 

If you can not hear differences between those things you posted,  I suggest you simply don't know how to put a high performance audio system together, that will highlight these nuances. 

You may "test" better than me on a hearing test, but................ I have self-learned 

a) what gear to use, and

b) how to put together a system where differences you profess not to hear, are clearly audible. 

How good a listener are you?    How particular are you ?  On your equipment list, I see no electronics brands that would ever be in my possession. 

I knew to ditch banana plugs with my first audio system outta college, within the first two weeks of putting it together. ( Tannoy 15 inch Monitor Golds in GRF enclosures).  I figured out all on my own, pre-internet,  the banana plug was a highly flawed  / dumb design to my way of thinking then,  in 1968 !!  It hasn't changed. 

If you need more source material buy it, and have fun listening to music.  I have more source material than I need - 'been collecting music since 1962, still do.

Jeffrey Medwin

15 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Good morning.  

What you apparently don't know is how older experienced audio people hear and can react to a hi fi system, so as to determine what is musically correct, or incorrect in high-quality audio playback. 

I believe there is a LOT that we all here realize.  I try to stay out of all of this because it's just ridiculous in reading it all and that a person actually believes what they are trying to portray.  From an outsiders point of view, it's humorous to the point of being.....sad.

I don't doubt your abilities in being able to design and build an amplifier at all.  It's just how far out there in right field over the foul ball line it goes to "insinuate" that the rest of the English speaking world is an idiot in comparison to your thinking.  That's what really irks me.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Please try to refrain from using logic in the future.  It has no place in this discussion.

Hmmm you forget some operate on a much higher level of logic and it surpasses what we can understand. It has to be self learned and only one on this forum has achieved this ability to not hear but still hear.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:03 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Glens,

Capacitors are the WORST performing parts in audio, and very few are truly great.  Actually, there is NO one capacitor we can buy, at any price, that all by itself, will give us FULL musical expression.. ALL will leave out parts of the recorded music, somewhere in the sonic spectrum, and also, typically will be dynamically deficient.

If a person " wants it all " on music playback, we are forced to add to that single film cap a minimum of four additional caps, of much smaller uF values, which will play differing parts of the sonic spectrum, and fill - in where the single cap is deficient.   Done properly, the overall playback result..... is wonderful.

On that 8 uF designated value of a speaker crossover, it would be MUCH MUCH better to never use a single 8 uF cap, that's NOT good audio design at all.   Instead INTELLIGENTLY use a bundle of five or more film caps.  Lets say the combined value of the main cap, and the bypasses, totals in the range of 7.0 uF to 9.0 uf.  I tell you, this is FAR FAR better, because it plays all the music back to us, than any single cap of 8 uF precisely,  can do !!  No contest.

Why isn't this done much in audio ??  The answer is multi-fold in my opinion.  A contrite answer is, most don't know how to do it , or are oblivious to this entirely.

Here are some factors that inhibit the use of multiple film bypass cap implementations :

1) The designer has to know, what value caps effect what parts of the spectrum.  Few do, world-wide.

2) They have to use only some of the highest quality caps made, and if selling to Joe-Public, it can be cost prohibitive to optimize the bypassing ( IF they knew how to ! ).

3) They have to know , for each needed value in the sound spectrum, which Manufacturers make the best sounding caps of that certain needed value.  This takes a) experience, b) experimentation, and c) a large parts budget.

4) A cap could be very good at a certain value, yet NOT combine well in a bundle.  Richard Marsh's DynamiCaps however, made by REL, are designed to work when in parallel FYI.

5) The designer must cater to the miniscule number of end-users who would be discriminating, upon hearing the results, and who would be willing to pay for it, to enjoy the difference.

6) The designer must have a good enough system, and musical sensibilities, to resolve parts differences accurately.

I will say this, it is possible to use one high quality cap in a crossover location, and have satisfactory results.   I would estimate someone like deang does this very very well.  The end user is happy. 

However, if someone who knew how to properly bypass a "C" location, had the budget - did so properly, it would be impossible for the listener to go back to listening to a single cap, upon hearing the difference, assuming the listener had a great system to start with.

In amps, since I know caps are so bad,  I direct couple my Power Amps, and only use the "C" , often bypassed, in many power supply locations.  But a "C" bundle can easily cost me over $200, and its used in eight locations minimum, in my latest KT88 amp build.  This adds up, such that most are oblivious to the practice of multiple cap bypassing.

Am I clear to you in my answer sir ??  It was so nice to see an intelligent question posted !!  Thanks.

Jeffrey Medwin

I had no idea this fount of wisdom was at it again but now I am compelled to go through it all later today. I am going to put down the current science fiction read which has a finite end already and spend a bit of time on this thread which is in active creation. How often do you get to see fiction created right before your eyes outside of mainstream network news?

I bet Bill Nye says capacitors work just like our resident guru does and two brilliant scientific minds can't be wrong.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

If you can not hear differences between those things you posted,  I suggest you simply don't know how to put a high performance audio system together, that will highlight these nuances. 

If hearing is impared, I'm not sure how else you'd be able to tell.

To quote Mitch Hedberg, "I was walking down the street with my friend and he said 'I hear music,' as though there's any other way to take it in. 'You're not special. That's how I receive it too... I tried to taste it, but it did not work'."

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 6:54 PM, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

*    For 1) above, High AUDIO signal Definition,  I run only one stage, mu of 100,  as the ( KISS ) amp's entire front end, and unlike ANY amp known to me, the tubes B+ is  heavily SHUNT            regulated, not once, but TWO times in a row. .   Double B+ SHUNT regulation, ........where most  tube amps have none.   Hey Hey Hey, I can now understand the Soprano's diction.

*    For 2) above, High Dynamic Nuance Definition,  there are uniquely employed - several things :

*  Chokes to the Finals total only 12 Ohms DCR  ( Fraker LSES power supply ).

*  Uniquely - use GTO bypass caps to the output stage - that can do 1,500 A. instantaneous.

*  Use of two 5U4GB rectifiers, which provides half the rectification DCR, and four times the peak instantaneous pulsed current capability, versus one

5U4GB. But I have retained the sonic advantage of a Directly Heated / high current rectifier tube.

Seems to me that anybody who was really serious about the quality of the power supply would completely eliminate the AC power connection, rectification, and filtering, and utilize dedicated DC sources throughout.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

I had no idea this fount of wisdom was at it again but now I am compelled to go through it all later today.

Dave, don't waste your time, you have better things to do....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Seems to me that anybody who was really serious about the quality of the power supply would completely eliminate the AC power connection, rectification, and filtering, and utilize dedicated DC sources throughout.

Ahhhh....shades of Edison VS Tesla.

Or, one could figure out a better way to do it, with what we all have and use , 120 VAC power in the USA.

@bkwa1959 as the OP on this thread, you can request to have it locked to any further posts. We have all been enlightened enough. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

Or, one could figure out a better way to do it, with what we all have and use , 120 VAC power in the USA.

Already been done: Use that 120 VAC to charge the batteries between listening sessions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeffrey D. Medwin said:

We must not have any of those around here because we are all young and inexperienced.

Ok I will say what everyone is thinking, dude stop with your :pwk_bs: it's stupid, your not special even if your mom told you so !

Your not talking to a bunch of beginners and this is not a class, and your definitely not the teacher. 

• Like 3