Swapping out filter caps

That's the same size caps I used in a (smaller) Carver M-200t that I rebuilt.  I'm sure you know some of the main points are to get the diameter and length right plus lead spacing.  It's hard to test capacitors unless you have a true meter that will read everything including ESR...which my Fluke will not.  Plus, my meter only reads capacitance out to 10,000uf.  I just replaced 8 smaller caps in a Sunfire sub that I had bought a year ago to replace in it because of a constant buzz that didn't change with volume.  Finally got around to that on Saturday and am back in bi'ness with bass.

Now I'm getting a cap order together for that obscure Rockford RF2000 2 channel amp and give that a go to maybe make it sing again.  I'm deliberating on the two 42,000uf 80v caps, though.  Those are some big *** caps and, of course, my meter won't read much for them.  

You really don't need "audio grade" in the PS section...mainly in the signal path.  But, everyone does it different.  Are you replacing all of the 10,000uf caps for all channels?  If you're refreshing, you might change those 3 smaller electrolytics on the boards with some new.

I would stay away from e b a y caps.

1 minute ago, avguytx said:

Are you replacing all of the 10,000uf caps for all channels?  If you're refreshing, you might change those 3 smaller electrolytics on the boards with some new.

Yeah, planning to replace for all channels. I forgot to get values of the smaller ones before putting it back together and in service so I'll drag it back out before I start ordering and get my total parts list together.

2 minutes ago, babadono said:

The more I look the scarier it gets...I think I'd stay with Mouser, at least you'll have recourse if caps aren't up to snuff.

That was my conundrum. Most of the chatter out there is several years old now, but it was certainly concerning.

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I'm sure you know some of the main points are to get the diameter and length right plus lead spacing.

That's been the really limiting factor here - 35x50mm is all I can accommodate in this chassis/module configuration so it further reduces the number of caps available which are also 10Kuf and 80v. Other amps might be more accommodating on the size variances, which would be less of a problem.

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

That's been the really limiting factor here - 35x50mm is all I can accommodate in this chassis/module configuration so it further reduces the number of caps available which are also 10Kuf and 80v. Other amps might be more accommodating on the size variances, which would be less of a problem.

You could go up a tad on capacitance...not like double....but up some if needed.  Same with voltage but I wouldn't stretch it too much from what was designed.  Also get 105 degree caps, too, instead of 85 degree.

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

You could go up a tad on capacitance...not like double....but up some if needed.  Same with voltage but I wouldn't stretch it too much from what was designed.  Also get 105 degree caps, too, instead of 85 degree.

If he changes one will he have to do all the other amp modules so that they're the same?

Just now, CECAA850 said:

If he changes one will he have to do all the other amp modules so that they're the same?

Yep....I would.  Might not ever hear a difference, though.  I asked above and he said he was replacing all of the 10,000uf caps out.

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'm doing that anyways. The problem is that increasing the capacitor values also seems to increase the physical size beyond what I can physically accommodate. 35mm diameter by 50mm length is the max.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Audio grade is mil spec and silver leads.

Reading the Manufacturer's data sheets is kind of amusing for the audio caps.....more musical(?) high tone quality(?)...something gets lost in Japanese to English

I agree with @avguytx you really DON"T NEED audio grade in the P.S.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babadono said:

Reading the Manufacturer's data sheets is kind of amusing for the audio caps.....more musical(?) high tone quality(?)...something gets lost in Japanese to English

I agree with @avguytx you really DON"T NEED audio grade in the P.S.

So this basically helps me get caps from Mouser/Digikey which aren't on backorder for months, and a slight decrease in cost. I'll factor that into my decision.