Swapping out filter caps

See if this link works for Digikey which show 3 models to be in stock that are 35mm diameter and 52mm height....if you can squeeze that in.

My pick would be the Nichicon caps and they show to have 3500+ in stock at $7.12 each.  They are 85 degree caps but that's what was there originally and should be fine.  If  the .394" lead spacing will work.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/capacitors/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv1500=39&sf=1&FV=1f140000%2Cmu10000µF|2049%2Cmu80V|2079%2Cffe0003a&quantity=&ColumnSort=1500&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tom1066 said:

Take a look at this one on Digi-key - part number 493-14392-ND

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/LLS1K103MELC/493-14392-ND/2548907

Yup, that's one I mentioned earlier (pg2), but was unsure about since it's not "audio grade."

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Can you squeeze 40mm diameter but still 50mm height in? Looks like Mouser has a105 C cap in that size to do as @avguytx suggested.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/United-Chemi-Con/EKMH800VRT103MB50T?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22RSFeKT%2FCuZ6%2BTXe5TLUhmE%3D

possibly, but lead spacing goes from 10mm to 25mm, which could be problematic.

5 minutes ago, avguytx said:

These might have some promise as well.

9 minutes ago, avguytx said:

See if this link works for Digikey which show 3 models to be in stock that are 35mm diameter and 52mm height....if you can squeeze that in.

My pick would be the Nichicon caps and they show to have 3500+ in stock at $7.12 each.  They are 85 degree caps but that's what was there originally and should be fine.  If  the .394" lead spacing will work.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/capacitors/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitors/58?k=&pkeyword=&sv=0&pv1500=39&sf=1&FV=1f140000%2Cmu10000µF|2049%2Cmu80V|2079%2Cffe0003a&quantity=&ColumnSort=1500&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=25

They should, the original ELNA caps have a 10mm lead spacing. I think these are bubbling up to the top of my list, now that I've overcome any concerns about the lack of "audio grade" designation.

And I'll be buying 10, so they're actually $6.32 each :P

Just now, Thaddeus Smith said:

They should, the original ELNA caps have a 10mm lead spacing. I think these are bubbling up to the top of my list, now that I've overcome any concerns about the lack of "audio grade" designation.

Yep.  .394" = 10mm so golden there.

To reiterate something said a page or two back, "audio" has nothing whatsoever to do with these caps.  They are merely providing a local reserve of DC power.  Perhaps offering some further ripple smoothing as well.

I'd go with the most capacitance available at the next heat capacity level, that fits the space.  If the capacitance is some less the worst result, IMO, would be the amps' power levels might be degraded a few percent when operating simultaneously.

You'll want something in that spot, but you could always supplement them with capacitors the size of 5-gallon buckets connected with heavy-gauge jumpers.  I know a guy who could make up the jumpers for you if you're anywhere near Kansas City.

Might as well start stocking up on rolls of electrical tape and golf balls for taking things to the next level after the amps are repaired.  :^)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Should work just fine.  I've gotten some caps in that I needed to finish up an older Rockford RF2000 (from early 90's) MOSFET amp that's been on the kitchen island for too many days.  I need to finish that tonight and cross my fingers that it works.  

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I stopped waffling on options and went with the Nichicons (non-Audio grade) mentioned earlier from Mouser. Hopefully it works out as intended.

While your modding, what color power LED do you have on your amp?  Now would be a good time to swap it out.  The red ones sound a little hot, blue ones sound cool.