Adding a subwoofer ... to CF-3's ... or not?

Emile

Hi All,

Been looking at adding a 15" sub to my CF-3's, but really have no clue if it is needed :) 

OK; 2 channel setup. Small 12x12x8ft room.  CF-3's on a Kenwood Basic C2/M2 (220wpc).  Supposedly the CF-3's go down to 35Hz (@ -3dB ... meaning "half volume" at this point).  Was going to try a Klipsch R-115SW ... actually "bought" one but the CraigsList seller "changed" his mind :(  Specs say the R-115SW goes down to 18Hz (assume at -3dB ?).  Would this (or another sub) increase my listening experience or is it a waste of time due to limited sub 35Hz sound in my music?  Music is mostly 70's rock (Chicago, Genesis, etc) and classical (Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, etc).

Many thanks for your advise. :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... Haha; due to the small room size I would have to put the sub in a closet with ventilated doors ... afraid it would just rattle the shelves and make for a "bad" sound experience :) 

• Like 1

What are you thinking, @Emile?  I thought you had your 15" diy sub, as I do.

My reference 15 sealed w/500 watt plate amp is perfect for my CF-4's. It adds that fullness and punch on the lowest octave for a very accurate speaker system in 2.1.

I listen to the same type of music that you do.  In addition I like jazz brass  and we all know it takes horns to play horns. 

Short version, visually more interesting:

Long version, very cool!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I wonder how your Epics would sound connected to the sub you already have in the other room?  Perhaps, a test would be in order

And of course you are absolutely right! :D  I was being lazy ... no fun moving a 75 pound sub just for a test; so was trying to avoid it :)  But guess it's better to do a little work than spending $300-500 on a new sub and (maybe) finding out it did not work well.  OK; will try it as soon as my wife leaves for 1/2 day :) 

Add-on ... "know" a sub would work ... but the location is a problem. Would be in a closet - actually an Ikea closet frame within a closet (see pic) ... afraid of "rattling" :) 

IMG_2257.JPG

5 minutes ago, Emile said:

And of course you are absolutely right! :D  I was being lazy ... no fun moving a 75 pound sub just for a test; so was trying to avoid it :)  But guess it's better to do a little work than spending $300-500 on a new sub and (maybe) finding out it did not work well.  OK; will try it as soon as my wife leaves for 1/2 day :) 

Add-on ... "know a sub would work ... but the location is a problem. Would be in a closet - actually an Ikea closet frame within a closet (see pic) ... afraid of "rattling" :) 

IMG_2257.JPG

Lol,  I adhere to the very fine principal of laziness myself.   Bringing sub to speakers or the other way around, seems far lazier to me, than the energy output to date. From dealing with Craiglister scammers, to all the keystrokes already made.  Man, I'm tired just thinking about it.😀    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any size sub with connectors, even that Rw10 At 32 hz... possiblity gone now... alright then... rattle that clothing, at least it is not bones... good fortune...☺️...... delete

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, rockhound said:

What size room is this? The epics make great bass you may be able to use something a bit smaller.

Very, very small ... 12x12x8ft.  But, many members say a sub "IS REQUIRED."  So; was looking at the R-115SW primarily due to it's low 18Hz reach even though it's probably overkill for this small room :D  (Had committed to one, but the CraigsList seller never dropped it off :( )

You guys think I might be able to get away with a smaller one like a R-10SW or R-110SW. The low end of that one is 27Hz ... pretty close to my CF-3's at 35Hz.  Maybe I am missing something about using a sub :D 

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... found a cheap, almost new R-10SW locally ... low end is 32Hz ... will I even hear it with my CF-3's?

Add-on #2 ... R-10SW has a back port ... cannot use in my closet :( 

I'd say that if your speakers go down to 35hz, get the sub to just play below that. Even if it's playing rolled off bass, it's still playing it and the effect adds to the music even if you're not sure if you're hearing it or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

A little CF3 bass action.  Was listening to a Pandora  station playing something, have no idea who, but the bass was banging so made a quick vid while I thought of it.  Driving the Epics is my Topping TP 32Ex digital T-amp, which the specs say puts out 50 watts at 4 ohms and 30 watts at 8 ohms.  

On another note, cant go wrong with Hsu or SVS. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You probably need to think about a Tapped Horn Sub (18 ft. long horn) with a 12" LAB driver that will STOMP those Mickey Mouse direct radiator 15's. Why you guys are messing with this amateur crap is beyond me.

Lol, Claude, he wants something for a 12x12 room. Would that not be just a tad overkill? 😀

• Haha 2