Audio CD device recommendation please

Trippigs

I am looking for a device to play audio cd only. Would like something of similar quality as my 2 channel setup comprised of industrial LaScalas, MA252 and a modified AR-XA turntable. Looking for nice quality used gear that is plug and play. I think an Oppo player would work but I get lost with all the firmware and DAC discussions....also their primary strength seems to be Video which I don’t need. Can I simply use the RCA outputs to connect with the MA252 which has RCA inputs. Would a Oppo 981HD or a 83 be candidates? How about a dedicated NAD or Sony player? Other brands and models? Just looking for advice as I look for something audiophile grade for playing my old cds!

Thanks.....Wm

• Like 1

Hi Wm,

Am using an Oppo 981HD in my 2 channel stereo - yes; just the RCA outs - but think you have to set this in the firmware - and it is awesome. :D  It replaced a dedicated NAD CD player and is far superior. Also have an Oppo 103 ... do not think the sound is any better ... but it does load faster :) 

I can highly recommend the Sony DVPSR510H. Stock this an absolutely exceptional value with modern DAC and receiver chip set. I modify these for my use. I recently picked up my first of several 510's and found that stock they out performed my (modified) previous Sony DVP model the DVPSR200. I have been modifying Sony DVP units for about the last 13 years and they just keep getting better and better and they are the absolute bargain for entry into a very fine CD player. Do not be fooled by the low price they are exception value quality sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Emile said:

Holy cow ... $35 :D  Yes; there are much better buys than Oppo's :D 

As a player they are very good as a transport even better, modified they can dance circles around many older transports from companies such as Theta and Moon that sold in the 2 - 3K plus range. You can buy and try for the cost of a meal/beer and tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Love the recommendations and comments. The Sony must be a sleeper and , as such, it is especially intriguing.....the prices are great. I have a lead on a 981 but it requires shipping which the proud owner doesn’t want to do so we are talking about pony express means. 

Heck...I think I will get the Sony just on Moray’s recommendation. The 981 might happen but might not and my cds want to spin!

Yeah Moray’s route is low risk. In long run, would you consider a music server that you can rip your CD collection onto? I have an old Toshiba DVD writer that I use for CD playing, but most cds are now on my Bluesound Vault 2, which after some initial pain is growing on me.

1 hour ago, Trippigs said:

How about a dedicated NAD

I have owned many CD players as well as universal players from many brands(Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Cambridge Audio, Oppo, Adcom, NAD) costing as little as $50.00 to as much as $2500.00.  Of all I have owned, the best sounding player is my current NAD C 542 which retailed for $499.99 back in 2006.  Nice neutral tone, great pace and fast punchy bass.

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Do not use a Blu-Ray or DVD player to playback redbook CD's they sound crappy it doesn't matter what they cost

Unless you're merely exporting a digital data stream from the player.  Awfully hard to get that wrong enough to cause issues.

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I think maybe it's time to ditch cd players completely and go with a file management system and stream your digital music. Convenience aside, it will sound better than most cd players or transport/DAC combos.

I concur.  And every bit of "artwork" can be scanned, if not already available electronically, and filed away right with the tracks.

It might or might not sound generally better converted to analog through any given "player" than a "central" DAC, but unless one's only digitized sound source is a CD player, DAC consistency is nice to have.  And the convenience of files centrally located...

I watched that video for about 5 minutes and he never does anything different.  My hands and wrists started to hurt sympathetically, so I had to stop.  What does he end up getting accomplished inside that CD player?

BTW, he must be good.  Usually wires and connectors that size fail a lot sooner whenever I jack them around with pliers like that.