Surround Speakers

Krush

I acquired a set of KPT-456s about 6 months ago thanks to  @Dave A and have been loving them every day since. The problem I'm encountering now is the itch to expand to a complementary 5.1 system.

What would you recommend pairing these with for a center and rears? Possible output level for subwoofer?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, MenloBob said:

396s are probably the closest thing in the current lineup.

Is there an alternative that does not involve making holes or running wires in the walls? I'd consider more floor standing speakers or stands, probably 10/12" woofer would be plenty. My neighbors can already hear my music when turned up (no I'm not in the room when I'm doing this) so the SPL is accounted for, just looking for timbre matching surrounds and center for an immersive movie experience.

22 hours ago, Krush said:

Is there an alternative that does not involve making holes or running wires in the walls? I'd consider more floor standing speakers or stands, probably 10/12" woofer would be plenty. My neighbors can already hear my music when turned up (no I'm not in the room when I'm doing this) so the SPL is accounted for, just looking for timbre matching surrounds and center for an immersive movie experience.

396s are floor standing.

17 hours ago, rockhound said:

I used a set of KP 262's as rear fills for an event I had and they performed ok. The output of the 456's is hard to keep up with!!

Those KP 262's were nice for voice but hardly any bottom end and I figure they would be lost in the magnificent sound from those 456's. Krush has a real problem in that he jumped up to a very high level of output and fidelity and it is going to be hard to find surround gear with that kind of presence. I am glad I am a simple two channel guy. Those 301's might work. My all time favorite ones were the cloth grille covered ones from the late 80's and you recap and stick a large MAHL tweeter in there and you really have something.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:32 PM, rockhound said:

KI 396 or 362 or older Kp 301's might work. I used a set of KP 262's as rear fills for an event I had and they performed ok. The output of the 456's is hard to keep up with!!

I really like the 396s, just not sure where to pick them up. Is there an online dealer for current lineup? I've been keeping an eye on ebay and the garage sale forum for the older models but not had much luck so far.