32 pounds of butt, summer party

jimjimbo

On 8/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, jimjimbo said:

A few pics.  Great turnout of about 45 folks total.  Beautiful weather, great food, great music from the garage Super Cornwalls and an old Def Tech sub.

32 lbs before hitting the smoker yielded approx. 24 lbs.  More than enough for the gathering.

DSC01246.JPG

DSC01248.JPG

DSC01251.JPG

DSC01254.JPG

DSC01255.JPG

DSC01256.JPG

DSC01257.JPG

Looks like a good time! Ive thought about building a UDS. Do you use a diffuser in yours?

• Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, mr clean said:

Looks like a good time! Ive thought about building a UDS. Do you use a diffuser in yours?

Not sure what you mean by diffuser. But I can say about one problem we had with the one I built for a nephew, as fat dripped off whatever meat was being cooked it wet the un burned coals and eventually it would die. One of the large cheap pizza trays above the coals a ways would work to catch the juice and grease and maby burn it off so it does not drown the coals.

Besides that it works great and they are nice, even with people who have very nice smokers use them since you can set it and leave it without all the checking.

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

One of the large cheap pizza trays above the coals a ways would work to catch the juice and grease and maby burn it off so it does not drown the coals.

This is what I use, which one could call a diffuser.  I even use a  water pan to help keep temp down.  It helps a lot if trying for lower temps.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

But I can say about one problem we had with the one I built for a nephew, as fat dripped off whatever meat was being cooked it wet the un burned coals and eventually it would die.

Never really had that issue, but I can see where it is possible.  And no, don't use any kind of diffuser.  I will try the large pizza pan trick next time and see if it has any effect.  Good tip.

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Absolutely.  One of the long time members here has more than one SVS in an all Cornwall surround system and it hands down is better than no subs at all.

Never considered the outdoors effect, that would certainly make sense.

The dude with the all corn HTS (7.1) was me, 8 Cornwall's (dual corn-center channel) w/ velodyne 18ers.  Krell class "A" driving all the corns.  And while I enjoyed the sub with certain movies, it was a bit over the top for me, and never could get used to it with music..... but then, I don't listen to many songs dipping that low.  Still have the sub, but she's been idle for almost 10 yrs. now.

6 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Nice to see Jim's got the "hood" sticking together as friends.  Ya don't see that much anymore.  Around here it's the "Neighborhood Watch" thingy every summer.  Hot dogs and bring a dish.  It's nice but then you're feeding all the cops and firemen too.  They drive around the town foraging for the best food they can find.  Not many out for this years "National Night Out."  Whatever works though I guess.  That's the way to do it though Jim!

Thanks Dave, we really are lucky to have a great neighborhood.  We know everyone for at least a block in each direction, look out for their kids, borrow stuff from each other and listen to music together.  And yes, they even tolerate my liberal Michigan leanings....Go Blue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

Never considered the outdoors effect, that would certainly make sense.

The dude with the all corn HTS (7.1) was me, 8 Cornwall's (dual corn-center channel) w/ velodyne 18ers.  Krell class "A" driving all the corns.  And while I enjoyed the sub with certain movies, it was a bit over the top for me, and never could get used to it with music..... but then, I don't listen to many songs dipping that low.  Still have the sub, but she's been idle for almost 10 yrs. now.

I never heard yours.  His was dialed in really well for music, the name is eq shadimar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 12:09 PM, The Dude said:

This is what I use, which one could call a diffuser.  I even use a  water pan to help keep temp down.  It helps a lot if trying for lower temps.

I use a Weber Smoky Mountain 18.5. I removed the water bowl and also use a pizza pan, but have a terracotta plate for holding plants inside the pizza pan. Works well! I went to a BBQ contest in Evansville IN last weekend and St Louis BBQ Company was there. I checked out their site and found the Riptangle.  I really don't need a bigger smoker but would like to try something different. I would love a 270 Smoker but they are kind of expensive for no more than I would use it. This one looks nice but its really just a square UDS. The WSM makes great BBQ but there are times when I would like little more room.

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/the-riptangle-smoker-1/