NFL 2019

MC39693

I suppose O'Brien would say he did not expect that the NO kicker would set a personal best in the last 2 seconds of that game!  But, when you play indoors ... looked like he had a good 5 more yards on that kick, so might have been good from about 63 yards out?

Week 1 sure changes the air pressure (ode to deflate gate) in teams' preseason hype.  Reality sets in sometime in November, then everyone scrambles to try to get into the January fun.

For those who might read Peter King FMIA, see this week's edition and the comment he does on other writers which I think is pretty cool for him to do.  The clip about Bart Starr and his wife was just plain amazing human context.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

No way.  O'Brien is running the offense and play calling.  He trusts Romeo as well he should but that was a bad call on that play.   That was situational football.  You've got to trust your coordinators.

Listening to Mark Schleretz (sp?) on the radio and they were talking about this very thing. He said that when he played for Mike Shanahan in Denver, Shanahan would go to his coordinators and tell them what he wanted. i think the head coach “advising” his coordinators is fairly common. 

I know in the military, when the boss was pissed, he didn’t go to my guys -- he went to me, because my staff was supposedly carrying out the orders that i had given. I didn’t stand over them and instruct them on every detail; but, it was my job to make sure they knew what i wanted.  

It wasn’t a trust issue ... it was a role issue.  Unless given the authority to call all the shots without conferring with O’Brien, then he is working within the parameters that O’Brien sets.  At the very least, I’m asking Romeo “what are you thinking here?”  If i agree, fine -- if not, I overrule him. I shouldn’t ever be surprised by what one of my staff does.  They manage their players, i manage them ... that’s why i’m the boss -- if they have carte blanc then they really don’t need me. 

11 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

you’re showing your age Carl ... that sort of thinking went out of style a decade or so ago. Nowadays, accusation or suspicion is enough to convict, in the court of public opinion at least. 

Yep.  Just ask Calvin Murphy or the Duke lacrosse team.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, CECAA850 said:

He's certainly made some errors in the past but last night loss was more on Romeo (who I like by the way).

Maybe, but the bad set-up was there for everyone to see.  The announcers saw it well before the snap.  Why didn't O see it and call time-out?

Edit:  Just looked it up, and there we no time-outs left.

So far it has been a pretty bad start to the NFL season and I am not just talking about the NY Giants. To lose so many big names right out of the gate knocks some luster off the start of the season, Drew Brees out for 6 weeks, Roethlesburger out for the season, Nick Foles out for the season, (how does that big contract taste right about now?) Andrew Luck bailing out, Gronk retiring, to say nothing of the Jets Sam Darnold out with Mono,( Really?) and then Siemian his replacement gets rolled up on MNF and right to surgery. Talk about the survival of the fittest.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RT FAN said:

So far it has been a pretty bad start to the NFL season and I am not just talking about the NY Giants. To lose so many big names right out of the gate knocks some luster off the start of the season, Drew Brees out for 6 weeks, Roethlesburger out for the season, Nick Foles out for the season, (how does that big contract taste right about now?) Andrew Luck bailing out, Gronk retiring, to say nothing of the Jets Sam Darnold out with Mono,( Really?) and then Siemian his replacement gets rolled up on MNF and right to surgery. Talk about the survival of the fittest.

It sucks, you look forward to watching teams compete but injuries throw off teams normal play which changes everything. 

On 9/17/2019 at 5:52 AM, JJkizak said:

Well the Browns stumbled passed the Jets.

JJK

True it was not pretty, it was so ugly one of the betting lines are calling for New England to win against the Jets by 23 points. 

Not that these mean much, the saints were 1 point underdog to Seattle this weekend, we lost our quarterback and it is now a 4 point difference, to me it should have changed much more than that.

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_point_spreads.shtml

On 9/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, RT FAN said:

So far it has been a pretty bad start to the NFL season and I am not just talking about the NY Giants. To lose so many big names right out of the gate knocks some luster off the start of the season,

And for those of you who are fans of drama you won't have Antonio Brown to kick around any more.  The Pats released him and oh-by-the-way they want their ten million dollar signing bonus back.  He voided his contract when he failed to disclose any off-field problems which would keep him off the field this year.

Even the Oakland Raiders must be thinking "man we dodged a bullet when we dropped this guy!"

• Like 1