Parasound P6 and A23+ into Khorns

ned

23 hours ago, Hasty said:

I wonder if the P6/A23+ combo is a better sounding setup than simply buying the Halo Hint 6 integrated amp?   I think the A23+ is rated at 160 watts vs 180 watts on the Hint 6.  Personally, I'd guess that the separates would sound better and the slightly lower wattage might work better with a high sensitivity speaker.  This is pure speculation though.  Id love to hear anyone's opinion that's listened to both. 

It's supposed to be literally exactly the same preamp components and I'm pretty sure it's the same amp components as well.  Some people will claim to be able to tell the difference but I'd be shocked.  The separates gives you more flexibility for upgrading or using EQ's or whatever but otherwise the HINT6 is less clutter, half the power wires, no RCA / XLR, no trigger wire, and like 2/3 the size.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Paducah Home Theater said:

It's supposed to be literally exactly the same preamp components and I'm pretty sure it's the same amp components as well.  Some people will claim to be able to tell the difference but I'd be shocked. 

I have compared Sunfire Receivers with their matching separates and there is a noticeable difference-- bigger wider deeper soundstage for one which is pretty obvious and lots more power / headroom when driving multiple speakers. There's a reason why separates cost more higher fidelity and more available power. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 12:52 PM, jjptkd said:

There's a reason why separates cost more higher fidelity and more available power. 

In this case it's a pretty small increase.  Two chassis, two power supplies, two wires, two boxes, two shipping bills, pretty easily explainable. :)  

HOWEVER, since we are digging up old threads, I gotta say, please do NOT buy a HINT6 and use it on K-horns.  The biggest difference is that the HINT6 does NOT have a gain knob, while the A23+ does.  If you hear a noise floor, which you will, there is no way to turn it down.  Otherwise I think the HINT6 is a great unit but the lack of a gain knob makes it a no go for K-horns.  Just don't do it.  

• Like 1