Broken F'ing Aircraft

USNRET

One plane at forward operating site chasing bad guys aborts in-flight for a banging, clanging cracking sound. RTB safely and maintenance crew can find nothing.

Launch relief aircraft from home base to continue missions with more mechanics and equipment to enter fuel cells for inspection.

Relief aircraft lands with major oil leak in turbine area

Of course they are at a place with zero parts / support.

Just transferred control over to my relief...time to drink.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Perhaps you guys could explain it to us dummies??

Interservice BS and other service BS picking at each other
Naval aviation: mechs are nose pickers; electronic technicians are coneheads, electricians are one wires.....

Air Force guys performed one job....one to take the wheel off and another specialty to put it back on. This is / was true to some extent. No cross training

When I interviewed for a job on the Air Force F-22 program I was asked what system I had experience with. My answer was all aircraft systems...engines, hydraulic, airframes, electrical, etc. The hiring manager (zero military experience) who had been interviewing Air Force folks just couldn't understand why there was such a difference in training/learning/experience between the services. Simply look at the number of personnel assigned to maintain X number of aircraft in the AF vs Navy. I got the job.

Joke here was that the Coast Guard never sailed out further from shore than they could walk back if sunk. Not true by any stretch but......

• Like 2

the engineers (we called them snipes) decided to pay back the deck force one time and the heat to our berthing area was mysteriously “stuck” and man was it roasting in there. 

Made it easier to not feel bad when the hose burst that was pumping the sewage and there was a big mess all over the deck and what was piped, “Liberty for all, except the engineering department."

good times ... too bad i didn’t realize just how much fun i was having at the time. 

intense rivalry; but, loyal camaraderie at the same time. 

• Like 1

My father was in WWII and the Korean Conflict in the Navy. I never had the honor to serve, went right into school and then on to engineering.

I support a couple of DoD programs now involving aircraft from two branches, though not as much these days as I once did.

I have to say that everyone on the big contractor engineering side and those presently serving that I’ve worked with have been a great group of guys and gals, with some friendships remaining long afterwards.

Sure, there were snipes in good fun from time to time, but at the end of the day, everyone came together to get the mission done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave1290 said:

Durn kids anyway!  Accomplish the mission and be done with it and ALWAYS sleep on your back!  My motto anyway!  :)

day i reported to the boat, fresh out of boot camp, i get there in the evening. head down to C-Compartment where my berthing area was and walk through the lounge and two guys see me coming.  they start holding hands and one says, “do you sleep on your stomach?”  i didn’t even stop walking, just said “i don’t sleep."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday, while driving back from moving my son off to college, I heard a comedian's skit about this on Sirius radio. He's take was the terms dog face, jarhead, squid, etc were reserved for use by people that have or are serving whereas others, who have not served, should not use the terms and just be thankful.

@BigStewMan just roll your pants legs up so they don't get damp.

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

Just yesterday, while driving back from moving my son off to college, I heard a comedian's skit about this on Sirius radio. He's take was the terms dog face, jarhead, squid, etc were reserved for use by people that have or are serving whereas others, who have not served, should not use the terms and just be thankful.

@BigStewMan just roll your pants legs up so they don't get damp.

everyone with sea time gets head of the line privileges.