Reel to Reel who's spinning tape ?

joessportster

Recently picked up Bobby's Otari 5050 2hd and a lot of tapes as well.  I am frankly shocked at the SQ, I cleaned the heads with Q-tip and head cleaner and WOW.  The tapes are all the record on type not pre-recorded. Several appear to be stock from an 80's POP radio station. A good mix of music but what strikes me is its dead quiet analog sound. Have to wonder why they ever moved away from reel to reel.  Now I have to go investigate all the best ways to use this deck and keep the Tape in good shape etc...

• Like 2

Tape is awesome. I just found vintage tape brittle and the rest of it just wasn't what I wanted to listen to. I'm not sure sound quality gets much better than tape. It is astounding.

I drove three hours to pick up an Otari and they sold it out from under me for $50 more than I offered....

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Yes; love R2R. Have a Teac X-1000R and it sounds great.  Unfortunately I only use it maybe twice a year :( 

Image result for Teac X-1000r

Just opened up the Otari and it has no doubt been serviced, VERY clean inside no dust nothing.  My understanding is Bobby got this deck from Cigarbum when he liquidated his system. As memory serves it was mentioned.  I had a Teac a few years ago as well as a pioneer 909 & 707 none sounded as good as this deck but I suspect that has to do with service and the recordings.  7.5 IPS radio station recordings  (Recordings made for air by the station) are superb. Im not much on 80's pop but its fun to put on a tape and walk away for 2 hours and just see whats on there. Rather large assortment of music

• Like 3

4 hours ago, joessportster said:

Otari 5050

Those are excellent decks. Otari made decks to handle all the way up to 2" tape. Always wanted one of their 16 track machines... Never, never could afford one. I'm a little jealous, but I can record more tacks on my computer now, with a higher quality. Just the way things go...

Oops looks like you’re hooked , I am glad you are enjoying the reel to reel and the tapes.I have met some nice people on this forum and all of my dealings with members have been nothing but positive.Joe enjoy your deckand tapes,thanks again .

Otari has a good reputation as a dependable deck. What type of heads on it, 2 track or 4 track? I have 4 decks (2 Ampex and 2 Pioneer) and they are all 2 track. You lose half of your recording time, but the sound is much better.

Watch out for older tapes, there is something called sticky tape syndrome. The coating on the tape will be sticky and gum up your deck in a hurry. You will know right away if you run into one. They're are a couple of companies making brand new quality blank tapes, and the prices are often comparable to what people are selling vintage tapes for. Old Maxell and TDK tapes hold up good. Ampex tapes not so much.

2 rt-1050's 006 25%.jpg

ATR-700 005.JPG

• Like 2

I recorded a tape once on my high $ Sony deck in stereo of this dude I knew.  I bought the deck just to record him.  The ONLY reel I ever cherished and held close to my heart.  He did it just for me and now he's gone.  I went back years later to listen to it for the third time and it was a total waste.  No sticky tape.  More like glued together.  Heartbreaking to say the least.

• Like 1

My Otari plays either 4 or 2 track, I Bought several tapes from Bobby as well 20 of the Maxell UD 35-180 all in the black & Blue Boxes, 6 of them seem to be unused  the rest appear to be from a radio station They have a sticker stating for air play only & can not be sold etc... Its incredibly well recorded zero noise and a varied selection of 80's pop / rock as though they would play a few tracks pause the tape make announcements etc.... restart the tape. they are all recorded at 7.5 IPS as well 

otari1.PNG

• Like 1

Joe, looks nice and I have been playing with the Aric Audio amp today ,I put a pair of Telefunken 12at7 tubes in the amp and they really matched up well with the amp.I was getting ready to list it for sale.I can’t play everything,but after today I may hold off on trying to sell it.

3 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Otari has a good reputation as a dependable deck. What type of heads on it, 2 track or 4 track? I have 4 decks (2 Ampex and 2 Pioneer) and they are all 2 track. You lose half of your recording time, but the sound is much better.

Watch out for older tapes, there is something called sticky tape syndrome. The coating on the tape will be sticky and gum up your deck in a hurry. You will know right away if you run into one. They're are a couple of companies making brand new quality blank tapes, and the prices are often comparable to what people are selling vintage tapes for. Old Maxell and TDK tapes hold up good. Ampex tapes not so much.

2 rt-1050's 006 25%.jpg

ATR-700 005.JPG

Nice, but aren't the orange reels a bit ostentatious?

JJK

Yes the sticky tape issue is real.  I bought a bunch of old  radio station ampex tapes and they instantly gummed up my Otari. Cleaning it was a PITA. Only new tapes for me now. Some folks  have has success "baking" sticky tapes in a food dehydrator. But using tapes is a big enough production as is without the added work that would be involved in baking tape!

Josh

22 hours ago, kevinmi said:

2 rt-1050's 006 25%.jpg

ATR-700 005.JPG

Those are nice decks. The Ampex ATR-700 was made by TEAC. Great machine

• Like 1

Once I had a fly land (or attempt to land) on my pinch roller while the TEAC R2R was running...gave a whole new meaning to the term "sticky tape"...by the time I got the deck stopped it was way too late to save the tape...and I had to hurry-up with the Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to get the deck cleaned before "squashed fly" residue dried-up on everything it had spread to on the deck, itself!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Once I had a fly land (or attempt to land) on my pinch roller while the TEAC R2R was running...gave a whole new meaning to the term "sticky tape"...by the time I got the deck stopped it was way too late to save the tape...and I had to hurry-up with the Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to get the deck cleaned before "squashed fly" residue dried-up on everything it had spread to on the deck, itself!!

That's why you should only play tapes in a "no fly zone"!

• Haha 2