Marantz 8B amp questions

TFR1

I have been looking at a Marantz 8B or 8 amplifier. Had a chance to hear one locally that was not for sale. Thought it was a very nice sounding amp.

There has been one for sale in Atlanta and I have found several on Ebay.

I would love to hear from anyone that has personal experience with this amp.

Last yearI fell in love with a Marantz 2285, then I could not resist the temptation of a Fisher 500C. ( thanks @Bonzo !!  My listening experience has been forever changed)

Should I resist the urge to find a vintage Marantz?

Jerry

Since you have heard both, how much better/different did the 8/8B sound than your 500C.....???  I'll bet not much....I know how good my restored 500C sounds.

The 8/8B are highly collectible, but not necessarily way above/fantastic/awesome pieces that will blow anything else away.

• Thanks 1

@jimjimbo

With possibly the exception of your McIntosh 275, my Fisher 500C makes the most pleasing sounds I have ever heard.

The Marantz 8 that I heard was very nice. I need to audition side by side with my 500C to know it different is better. 

Maybe I should be satisfied, but I would like to try some different equipment. (Industrial LaScalas are still on my shopping list)

I am building a new workshop and need some audio equipment to fill the 3000sf space with sound.

Jerry

When I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area several years ago, I had an opportunity to attend the San Francisco Vacuum Tube Users Group where the group had a shootout between several vintage tube amps of varying designs including the Marantz 8B. The group used to meet at the Randall Museum auditorium which sat maybe 100 to 175 people and used a pair of Klipsch Chorus II speakers. Among the amps which included a fine our of Fisher monoblocks (sorry I do not recall which ones), the Marantz 8B was the most musical amp of the group. Like vintage Mac tube amps, you would have to carefully search for a Marantz 8/8B in good shape or properly rebuilt. With careful shopping, you will be rewarded for your efforts. 

• Thanks 1