MWM Bins are here

Marvel

Looks awesome.  I would just tell the wife that you've incorporated more air circulation in the room having the bins thus lowering heating and cooling costs.  Plus, with enough juice you may be able to fire small children out of them.  Everybody wins.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Wife and I were out last night, so nothing new. Haven't swapped connex from LS to MWMs yet. Need a question answered about impedance on the dual bins (MWMs). Default is two 4 ohm drivers in parallel, giving a two ohm load. My crossover might not like that without changes. Can't go actived yet.

I just realized that the room is messy enough that I am now qualified to do high end speaker/equipment reviews.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Marvel said:

Thinking similar ... I have some ideas I floated with ChrisA, but I wasn't going to pursue much until I got them here. WAF is pretty low but I'm thinking a karaoke party would take care of that.

Proof you have a gracious and long suffering wife. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

You mean for the top end? I have some Selenium HM4750 horns (2 inch throat) and some JBL 2365.

You've done passives on the MWMs haven't you? With 4 ohm woofers in parallel?

Yes..........I had ALK design an ESN for dual MWM (2 or 3-way).  If you are interested let me know.  They work very well.  They are just sitting on my shelf.  All Auricaps in the mid and tweeter.

4 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Why can’t they be reconfigured such that they are in series?

That is my question. Of course, the wires from each speaker come out to a terminal block, where the default setup has them jumpered in parallel. My question is this: Does the throat on the MWM work the same as a LaScala and Klipschorn where the slot/horn combo causes the driver to have a higher impedance in the network? If not, can I run them in series so that my crossover will have  an approximate 8 ohm load?

I won't be able to go active for a little while... still gathering what I need for that.

@JohnA   @ClaudeJ1

• Like 2

4 hours ago, codewritinfool said:

Why can’t they be reconfigured such that they are in series?

I was wondering the same thing.

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

the wires from each speaker come out to a terminal block, where the default setup has them jumpered in parallel.

I think the default configuration is to achieve max SPL from the pro amps, but for home stereo use, I would listen to them wired in series. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I think the default configuration is to achieve max SPL from the pro amps, but for home stereo use, I would listen to them wired in series. 

That's what I was thinking, and my LS crossovers would would probably not be as big an issue as is with the nominal 8 ohm load on the larger throats of the MWMs.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Your going to love the difference from LaScala bass bin compared to MWM. 

Even though I do love the LaScala bass, it's just sounds bigger and more of it but still a horn, which is easily my favorite kind of bass bin. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Marvel said:

I just realized that the room is messy enough that I am now qualified to do high end speaker/equipment reviews.

Maby but that Stereopile's video of his new house could use a few more things in it, or something, just don't kiss the dog on the mouth like that ART guy just about did at the end of the video, it's just kind of strange.

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I was wondering the same thing.

The last thing I need to worry about is max SPL, it might not be a good thing to hear ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

That is my question. Of course, the wires from each speaker come out to a terminal block, where the default setup has them jumpered in parallel. My question is this: Does the throat on the MWM work the same as a LaScala and Klipschorn where the slot/horn combo causes the driver to have a higher impedance in the network? If not, can I run them in series so that my crossover will have  an approximate 8 ohm load?

I won't be able to go active for a little while... still gathering what I need for that.

@JohnA   @ClaudeJ1

A Crown K1 or K2 can easily handle 2 ohm loads, as modern  Pro amps can. I would run them in parallel with a 4 milliHenry choke in series with the input of each  R and L channels with a Separate power amp from the LaScalas, the input and use them as SUBS for the LaScalas!! I did this years ago and it worked pretty well.

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Maby but that Stereopile's video of his new house could use a few more things in it, or something, just don't kiss the dog on the mouth like that ART guy just about did at the end of the video, it's just kind of strange.

I'm glad someone caught that... You're sharper than everyone gives you credit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm glad someone caught that... You're sharper than everyone gives you credit.

It's just the rough edges that seem that way.

At the end of the video i was not sure if all three of them were going to start kissing, or just towards the dog it was hard to tell. :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

A Crown K1 or K2 can easily handle 2 ohm loads, as modern  Pro amps can. I would run them in parallel with a 4 milliHenry choke in series with the input of each  R and L channels with a Separate power amp from the LaScalas, the input and use them as SUBS for the LaScalas!! I did this years ago and it worked pretty well.

I can appreciate that for sure. Sounds like a plan, but my Crown will come later. I was actually going to us my LaScalas for a party at Christmas and was thinking of using one of the MWMs in the middle for a little more solid bass. Years ago... like around 1982, I used a pair of Dennis' (DJK) LS boxes at a conference with a live band. approx. 150-200 folks in a huge room and the LS worked nicely for the band, even without a sub.

BTW, the internal wiring on these cabs is 18 gauge... looks so tiny

• Like 1