MWM Bins are here

Marvel

On 8/14/2019 at 10:14 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

So have you disconnected the LS bass bins and instead wired these into the existing crossover networks? I was focused on the pictures earlier and glazed over the technical bits

I got one of them switched last night, but it was late. I have to move other stuff out of the way on the left side to get to the connectors. Since I'm using my LS crossovers, I'm trying each cab in series first. Not sure how my crossover would handle the 2 ohms. In series I am measuring about 7 ohms DCR.

What kind of connectors are on the ones made to haul around? Surely not the barrier strips. I'm going to mount a Neutrik 4 pole connector on a dish, so it will be recessed and make it safer to move them.  I might need to borrow Richard's front loader for that... @Coytee

We're staying in this weekend to rest (and do laundry). Been a rough couple of weeks and we want the break.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, Marvel said:

They tilt back, since they are a trapezoid shape. Now the LS are in front of the tv with the mwm cabs flanking them.

No BS...

20190814_161002.jpg

Very cool that you got those into your house. Stretch some grill cloth across the fronts and they should blend right in.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Marvel said:

hat kind of connectors are on the ones made to haul around? Surely not the barrier strips.

In know they look rough they stay covered on the side covered patio. This is factory connections for singles anyway.

8B084874-319F-4FB5-9D0A-BA73E5440D1C.jpeg

On 8/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, Marvel said:

I can appreciate that for sure. Sounds like a plan, but my Crown will come later. I was actually going to us my LaScalas for a party at Christmas and was thinking of using one of the MWMs in the middle for a little more solid bass. Years ago... like around 1982, I used a pair of Dennis' (DJK) LS boxes at a conference with a live band. approx. 150-200 folks in a huge room and the LS worked nicely for the band, even without a sub.

BTW, the internal wiring on these cabs is 18 gauge... looks so tiny

That's all you need to drive a 30 AWG voice coil. But non technical people want to buy enought copper to jump start a locomotive with 300 amps of current. Speakers rarely see more than a few amps DYNAMICALLY, espeically horn loaded. I thing the MWM's were fused at 3 amps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dtel said:

I know they look rough they stay covered on the side covered patio. This is factory connections for singles anyway.

This what are on mine for theater installs...

20190816_164324.jpg

39 minutes ago, dtel said:

Did you get then playing with the LaScala tops even temporally just to hear ?

Yes, but I swapped the connections around to give and 8 ohm woofer connection for my crossovers. Very clean and articulate bass, but not even near as loud as the K33s in my La Scalas. I will try them in parallel when I get time, but I'm hesitant since there will then be a 2 ohm woofer connected to each crossover.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If all else fails just connect one woofer in each cabinet and see if that helps, temporally anyway. Could be the way the load is affecting the output with 2 connected ? I say this because the output with one cabinet like I use in the yard seems to be right, I never tested it but sounds fine.

I know this is not permanent just a test, I have  no idea how a 2 ohm would affect the crossover or the output.

I remember Claude testing the  K43 and the K33 and found the 33 went a little lower in that cabinet. But I don't remember if there was any difference in db? 

John Albright, who designed the DHA2 crossovers I built, said I could replace the 2.5mH inductor on the woofer with a lower value to raise the woofer crossover point back up to 400Hz.

Plus, I'm not sure how well my 2a3 amps would deal with the current. I could swap in the Duke to try it.

Might try Eldon's idea of connecting a single woofer to it first.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Agreed, they are, overall in great shape. Are there SNs listed anywhere for the pro gear?

They do look great. I would think a SN would be somewhere on the back tags somewhere, that's where it was on the older ones ?