Klipsch VBAT for home cinema?

Ivaols

Hi :)

I've got tremendous help from this forum in the past, and now I have a new question I hope someone can help me with. 

The goal is matching surround side speakers for my two way KPT-535. The room is 14.5 feet wide and the nearest seat is 4.5 feet away from the side wall. 

The VBAT series seems quite interesting. KPT-8-VB and KPT-12-VB have 140° horizontal coverage, while the KPT-12-VBM have 115° +/- 25° horizontal coverage. What worries me is this, copied from the manual:

"Tight 60° vertical dispersion married with 
high output woofers also creates a long throw with high output, ideal for 
today’s larger auditoriums." 

Will this long throw design work in a 14.5 feet wide home cinema? Does anyone have experience? Or should I go for the consumer Klipsch RP-502S or Klipsch KS-525 THX? 

Best, 

Ivan

IMG_20190624_155722.jpg

• Like 1

It doesn't appear that you have the required room depth or depth of seating locations to take advantage of the "VBAT" bipole polar coverage capability.  All you will achieve is more front and back wall bounce using VBAT models (which isn't really desirable). 

I'd instead recommend something that covers your prime seating position well, and has approximately the same timbre and end-to-end frequency response as your fronts--such as this:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-325-Data-Sheet-v04.pdf

or this:

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/KPT-396-Data-Sheet-v06.pdf

The surround height above the sitting position should be pretty much like your fronts as specified in the 5.1 ITU-R BS.775–3 arrangement:

ITU-R-BS-775-1.png

Chris

• Like 2

I called the Norwegian Klipsch distributor yesterday. There is no Norwegian or European pro cinema distributor. They had some personal interest in Pro Klipsch equipment so they will email Klipsch USA for a pricelist and cost of freight. I asked for prices for the 396 and the VBAT models.

I will update this thread with info If I end up with one of the pro surrounds.