No 12 AWG inductors anymore?

iaRIVR

I'm starting to price out crossover upgrades for a Forte II and seeing a lot of recommendations for 12 or even 10 AWG air coil inductors for the woofer. The largest I can find are 14 AWG, like these:

Solen 2.75mH at 14 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/solen-14-awg-perfect-lay/solen-2.75-mh-perfect-lay-inductors-14-awg/

North Creek's site appears to be down. Would 14 be worth it, or is that not big enough to make much of a difference over stock?

Most likely waay larger gauge than stock.  14 ga. wire is normally rated for 15 amps or 900 watts into 4 ohms.  The woofer voice coil will be the safety fuse for the inductor.  Who has told you you need a 10/12 ga. inductor?  I will also recommend an iron core inductor.  It will be smaller and the EM field will be held tightly to the inductor reducing interaction with other parts and inductors. 

I will also caution you that the inductor's resistance adds to the woofer's resistance to make up the system's Q.  The woofer's Q works with the cabinet volume and passive radiator to create its frequency response.  Changing the woofer inductor will change the system Q and change the system's frequency response.  Perhaps subtle and inaudible, perhaps not, but the larger the change, the greater chance it will be undesirable. 

• Like 2

Sorry for jumping in here
I wanted to make some of my own crossover coils and have a chart to give me all the info like wire size and how many turns of the wire for let’s say a 2.0 mh coil. Should use 18ga or go down to 14ga? The higher or larger the wire is a good or bad thing?

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 12:36 PM, Deang said:

https://solen.ca/products/inductors/standard-inductors-12awg-2-05mm/s122-7/

DCR needs to be below .4. 12 AWG is the correct gauge in an air core.. However, It's complete overkill for the low pass. The stock part is perfectly fine.

Are you saying the stock inductor is fine for the crossovers? Thanks for the link, those are still pretty $$.

I actually think I was getting more info over at AK and generally following SET12's process. I'm going to build new crossovers just cause they're all crammed into the stock pcb, I depending on the price I might upgrade one of the circuts(?) like a larger air core inductor and capacitor for the woofer.

If the inductor in place has got a metal core and that core is not saturating due to high drive level, then my advice is to find other things to "improve" because at best you'll be spending money and time for no honest improvement.  Quite possibly, if not likely, the change will be one for the worse.  It's not like inductors wear out or go bad over time with normal use, such as capacitors can do.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 1:40 PM, iaRIVR said:

Are you saying the stock inductor is fine for the crossovers? Thanks for the link, those are still pretty $$.

I actually think I was getting more info over at AK .......

Yes, absolutely.  Iron core is not bad, ...... but its your money.  Spend profligately.  Now, why would a bunch of Klipschophiles on the Klipsch Forums know anything? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

Yes, absolutely.  Iron core is not bad, ...... but its your money.  Spend profligately.  Now, why would a bunch of Klipschophiles on the Klipsch Forums know anything? 

I should clarify- the info I was looking at was over at AK but I thought it was here to, and I posted here because I would prefer the Klipschophiles advice :)

I'll hold off, not looking to spend money needlessly. Thanks @JohnA

I am just starting to learn about crossovers, I have the sonicaps from Crites but they are so crammed onto the original PCB I was planning to build a new crossover and reseal the cabinets and gaskets while I'm at it. If I could incorporate a crossover upgrade, great, but not in any rush to. 

Edited by iaRIVR

16 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

I should clarify- the info I was looking at was over at AK but I thought it was here to, and I posted here because I would prefer the Klipschophiles advice :)

I'll hold off, not looking to spend money needlessly. Thanks @JohnA

I am just starting to learn about crossovers, I have the sonicaps from Crites but they are so crammed onto the original PCB new crossover and reseal the cabinets and gaskets while I'm at it. If I could incorporate a crossover upgrade, great, but not in any rush to. 

You can make those Sonicaps fit on there and replacing those old caps is one of the very best things you can do.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iaRIVR said:

I am just starting to learn about crossovers, I have the sonicaps from Crites but they are so crammed onto the original PCB new crossover and reseal the cabinets and gaskets while I'm at it. If I could incorporate a crossover upgrade, great, but not in any rush to. 

I've used stock PCB's with oversize caps before.  All you have to do is solder extension wires to the board (or the wires where you cut the old caps off) then mount a separate board with the new caps.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've used stock PCB's with oversize caps before.  All you have to do is solder extension wires to the board (or the wires where you cut the old caps off) then mount a separate board with the new caps.

That's a good call too, they fit okay but not great. Adding a little extension to the wires would be all I need.