Cornwall III vs LaScala II

tonygeno

39 minutes ago, Max2 said:

That's a good point and in reality mine are done around 80-100 cycles, but my real point was LaScala's are THE speaker for Classical listeners, except the fringe few.

Tighten up the bass on the Cornwall some (not too hard to do) and you might be surprised.  You'd catch that fringe also with the reduced time smear between the tweeter and midrange.

The real classical listening speaker is the k-horn locked in some good corners (likely Jub's too). Out of the scope here.

10 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Tighten up the bass on the Cornwall some (not too hard to do) and you might be surprised.  You'd catch that fringe also with the reduced time smear between the tweeter and midrange.

The real classical listening speaker is the k-horn locked in some good corners (likely Jub's too). Out of the scope here.

So I'm using Dirac Live on the Cornwalls, and the bass sounds tight to me. I've been quite pleased with the sound but one always wonders...

4 minutes ago, tonygeno said:

So I'm using Dirac Live on the Cornwalls, and the bass sounds tight to me.

it's not... in comparison to a folded horn design.

until you hear it for yourself, you may not know what you are missing.

I still have both the CW and the LS... the CW will never be my main speakers ever again.

the CW is an excellent performer for its price point, but it's no La Scala or Klipschorn.

as others have stated, either get a folded horn subwoofer or use a direct radiating subwoofer set to a very low cross over point and control the output... this is how you can get it to blend well with the LS.

• Like 1

I think I should qualify my statement... the Cornwall is just different. not better or worse, but my personal preference is for UBER tight low register... the nature of the CW design cant deliver that... and my CW are significantly modified.

I will probably never sell my Cornwalls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

I think I should qualify my statement... the Cornwall is just different. not better or worse, but my personal preference is for UBER tight low register... the nature of the CW design cant deliver that... and my CW are significantly modified.

I will probably never sell my Cornwalls.

Yes, and based on my statement, Cornwall has more old school bass reflex tendencies.   Many folks like that sound and I myself like more of a controlled bass that either the horn provides (too big for extension I require), a slot load more like a Frazier Seven, or correctly done passive radiator(s).

=== years back I owned CW and horn loaded Belles at the same time, periodically  shuffling them in/out. We’ll use Belles as the comparison example in this case. CW always sounded great until replaced with Belles; they then sounded slow, plodding, recessed, something missing. So much so that thinking something was amiss I took them apart checked internals, even sent the near new cross overs back to Crites to verify their condition. Of course all was well but in my room the differences were so great as to think something wasn’t right. And it wasn’t - horn loading vs. duct porting. And the difference should be even greater comparing to the LS with its much larger K400 mid horn. Now with LS and  Jubes I still move the LS into their assigned spots and listen quite satisfied. To this day there IS some magic with the LS.

• Like 1

You can hash it anyway you like, but that little mid on the CW gets in trouble pretty quick. I bought a pair of CW Ii's back in '86. Kept them for a few years and sold them to a friend and he still has them today setup in a large playroom. They sound great at 10-12 feet off or even 20 feet off, but you will never get past the little mid and Its why the Cornscalla became so popular.  You cant compare the LS to the CW, in clarity, coverage or dynamics, the LS is on another level.  

So the general consensus is like what I experienced. If they hadn't been up a deck four flights of tightly turned high steps, I would have had some LS a year ago! The guy admitted they went in the house before that mess was built! 

The fully horn loaded Heritage & Pro speakers are in the lineup for a reason. There has to be a top end of the range!