New Onkyo M-5000R amp & C-7000R CD player just delivered...

avguytx

I was a rep for Onkyo & Integra from 2001 till 2009 and have remained friends with the Nat'l Sales Mgr in the years after.  A few years ago, I was able to buy the Onkyo P-3000R preamp which is a 25-lb beast of a preamp with separate power supplies for Digital and Analog sections.  I mainly enjoyed the fact it had numerous digital inputs (2-coax, 2-optical, 1-AES/EBU, and USB) and uses separate 192 kHz/32-bit Burr-Brown DACs for each channel.  Well, they have been closing out the last of the 2-channel inventory in the US, but still selling it in Europe, and there's talk of a refresh of the line for 2020....if it ever happens.  I had emailed him 6 months ago about it and then forgot about it with the house being finished up and yesterday, he emails me that corporate gave a price on the last 2 amps.  Man, it's just about a price I can't say no to.  MSRP on these are $2599 and I can get it for a crazy low amount.  Ugh...decisions.  Dual toroidial transformers, (4) 27,000uf capacitors, and rated at 80-wpc @ 8-ohm, 150-wpc @ 4-ohm and can dip below that.

They are a good looking amp for sure.  Looks like I need to sell a couple more things off to get this amp soon if I'm  going to do it.  Wonder if they have any of the C-7000R CD players to match left.  But, all my CD's are ripped as FLAC files to my NAS which has been nice not having to mess with them.  I think I still have a couple of DVD players that also read SACD which the Onkyo doesn't read.

https://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/m-5000r-35271.html

Did I mention big meters?

Onkyo M-5000R Reference Series Power Amplifier (Black)

Onkyo M-5000R Other

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== I mean really, what’s there to think about? You already have the matching preamp, you’re paying 20 cents on the dollar, seems little to think on. And buy ‘em both, I’ll take the other just for shitts and giggles —

All true.  I think one of my buddies in Phoenix is going to buy the other one along with the P-3000R preamp although I don't know why.  Well, he worked for the same rep firm I did back in the late 90's/early 2000's before going to work for Rockford in Tempe, AZ.  This guy is a HUGE Mac guy and has the big XRT speakers, numerous Mac amps including 2500's and a 2600, plus others, Mac preamps, etc.  Not sure why he wants this "lowly combo".  lol

10 minutes ago, glens said:

Buy them both and run bridged.

Thought about that, too, but just can't swing it right now as much as I'd love to.  Have to have gutters installed on new house, front steps done, and some yard work.  Not to mention we had to pay for my wife's brothers funeral 6 weeks ago who died of a massive heart attack at 49.  He had no insurance and her parents couldn't afford to pay it so, most all the leftover money we had for the last house stuff (previously mentioned) got put on hold.  Family, you know.

I don't think the Belle clones really "need" 300 watts on each one....as cool as it sounds.  lol.  Now, some of the other speakers I have....another story.

• Sad 1

The thing is,  I could sell off a few pieces I've not used in years and I'd have a $2600 amp for next to nothing. I agree...a no brainer. And he won't sell them before I commit to one so there's that. 

Man, that's going to require coming up with a new rack for that area with the size of that thing. Not that its crazy huge...but definitely hefty. He also said he has a single C-7000R CD player which is about a 25-lb unit, too.  I've not used a CD in a few years now as all of mine are ripped to FLAC files but I do know it sounds awesome. That would make a 100-lb stack of Onkyo gear. 

Ok, so I've committed to buying one of the amps and a friend of mine, who was a rep while I was too, is buying the other one.  He's also getting the last P-3000R preamp (like I have) and I'm buying the last C-7000R CD player.  I honestly haven't used a CD player for over 3 years now as all is ripped to FLAC but for the price I'm getting it for, it will make for a good looking stack of matching gear.  I don't really care that it doesn't play SACD or any of the newer stuff as I maybe own 5 or 6 SACD's and I could care less about all the new surround things or formats.  My hearing just isn't what it used to be on the top end, plus having tinnitus, so it's a moot point for expensive/overpriced (to me) DAC's, etc.  I just can't hear the differences.  I do have an older Panasonic and Toshiba DVD players that will play SACD that I can tie in if needed.  I'm not a classical buff so no interest in buying a bunch of SACD's unless they are music I actually enjoy.

So maybe over the next month or so, I'll have a new M-5000R amp and C-7000R CD player.  No rush as I still have plenty of other things to listen to and keep me busy.

• Like 1

This is going to be a good looking stack once I get it all together.  Obviously not stacked like this.

I'm thinking I'll build a vertical rack for these 3 pieces that will also hold an older DVD-A/SACD player I have and some sort of PC that will tie JRiver in, and a turntable on top.  Nothing too cluttered on that wall.  Maybe one of the Flexi Racks with a double thick shelf for the amp and use 3/4" threaded rod.

image.thumb.png.c31430d7d665046521d3e959a66c4a00.png

• Like 1

Just now, Pete H said:

I've always loved the looks of those amps and wanted one, but only at the kinda price you picked it up for, as to the CD player, you're this deep, what the hell, but I understand, I only use a cd player in the shop and all ripped files in the main rig.  

I just don't want to buy it and have it there for the "looks factor" alone, which is about what it would end up being I'm sure.  I've about talked myself out of that part.  Heck, I've even got maybe 10 SACD's that I haven't listened to in 10 years and I have a DVD player that will read DVD-A and SACD.