Veneer

tipatina

Hello, I am looking for a pair of vintage Klipsch (or maybe Cornscala) to try to veneer. I think I understand the large flat surface application process. The front of the speaker that surrounds the grill has mitered veneer corners on my Forte II's. Has anyone tried to miter the veneer, it seems like a tricky process. I'd appreciate any hints. Thanks

You have two options for angled corners; cut pieces or veneer softeners. For cut, you glue the large surface and trim to the angled edge. Glue a new piece to the angled edge and trim it to the first piece already glued down. If you want the grain to match, cut the two pieces from the same sheet of veneer. For softener, use a veneer softener like https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Super-Soft-2-Veneer-Softener-Conditioner.html Google for options. Use as instructed and glue the large piece in place and roll the beveled edge over and glue in place. You may use head lock glue, clamp or vacuum bag for the process. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, glens said:

I think more than anything else the key is holding your tongue just right with your front teeth and lips while you make the cuts.  That and a deft touch with a first-use razor knife blade corner, every time.

Just don't bite down.

• 5 weeks later...