WHAT receiver should I get?

Galla024

Hi,   I'm a senior who worked into electronic industry , sold musical instruments and audio-visual, printed circuits boards and components. 

Denon and Marantz are the same company  made in China. I had lots of Marantz amps and receivers since 1970's 

But... AV receivers SR6003, SR6005, SR7006, SR7008 and bluray players BD5005- BD5007 with lots of problems turned me off.

I was told to consider Yamaha Aventage receivers by Marantz dealer lol. I bought Yamaha RX-A2050 5 years ago = Fun without shitt 😉

I recently upgrade H.T. Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 + Rotel RB1552 MKII on Klipsch RF7 MKI ,  RC64 center and 4 x RS52 = 5.0.2 Atmos

All my klipsch bought used in mint shape and with Yamaha "natural sound" technology ,  music or movies are WOW!!!!

Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 ; 4 years  guarantee is a much better built Equipment and less expensive. Large and useful display.

I bought a Aventage RX-A 780 with Focal  Chorus 726 + Rc900 and RS 900 + 4K TV for family room and the fun goes on!

Edited by Gilber
products upgrade and lifetime quality confirmed

Audyssey XT32 can be a valuable asset for those who have the patience to set it up properly.  Some Denon and some Marantz have it, others don't.

Audyssey improved the sound of my Klipschorn based home theater.

Anything can break down.  McIntosh has a great reputation for reliability, but my McIntosh C28 broke down.  I've never had a problem with Marantz, but, without some kind of index of repair records, we really don't know.  Even cars by Rolls Royce break down (but they will send their people anywhere in the world to fix yours if it breaks down).  A friend of mine's family bought a brand new Mercedes, took it out for a spin, and they smelled smoke.  They pulled over to the edge of the highway, and piled out just in time.  They ran a good distance away, then watched it burn up.

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

I vote for Yamaha, I very recently purchased a rx-v685 AVR. Was a Denon guy for many years but no longer. Still have my Denon AVR-3000 I purchased 25+ years ago. Most all of the Yamaha AVR offerings share the same software/features. It becomes a question on number of channels you need, and output power levels. Advantage series adds another year of warranty (3). 

EDIT: here is a copy of Yamaha Advantage product warranty (3 years to original purchaser, not 4 as stated above):  https://usa.yamaha.com/files/ocp/en_us/support/warranty/audio_visual/AV_Home_Audio_AV_Receiver_Series_RX-A_2013.pdf

Marantz 7012.  It's a known performer with Klipsch and Marantz is owned by many on this forum.  It sounds good with both music and movies.

For max performance you might add a 3 channel amp for L/C/R and let the AVR power the surrounds.  All channels have pre-outs and are assignable.

Your list has all nice AVR's so you've obviously done your homework.  Even though I've only read about them them I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. 

I own the Marantz 6011 used in 5.1 for the living room.  My 6011 has 9 discrete internal amps, the 7012 has 11 discrete amps. and I can recommend it for the reliability and sound quality.

If you're going the AVR route look for something near the top three models or so no matter which brand you go with.  I have been a Denon buyer for decades and it seems their AVR's actually dont fall on their face with 5 or 7 speakers hooked up from prior bench tests. They also have very good SNR values.  Also, when you get near the top in Denon and Marantz, the build location changes to Japan rather than China.  In most cases, you get what you pay for in an AVR these days.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4400h/denon-avr-x4400h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

My vote.

Not loosing anything buying this one, except a warranty and some B.S you will never use or care about. If you look around, hold out for another 2 months, you will find the X4500 for about half price when the new models roll out. Happens every year, and is how I buy mine.