La Scala resonance problem

Dave A

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I took a rubber mallet and started tapping to see where the sound might come from. By ear it was hard to see where and I will buy a stethascope if this happens again before trying to find the rattle.

A long screwdriver or even a steel rod with a golf ball on the ear side(drill a hole in the ball and shoe goo the ball on the end of the rod) works just as well as a stethoscope, the only difference will be you will hear the sounds with one ear instead of two.  Just put ear protection in the other ear to filter out background noise.

Good you have things squared away now and good luck with the project.

12 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Dave,

This is a funny story.  I especially enjoyed all the splitter criticism.

Myself taking the bait, I figured you had a sprung cabinet or buzzing or loose woofer.

Never did get  real answer on the splitters did I. Loose things act very strange with speakers. I had an odd buzz with a  Forte once. drove me nuts and I had checked everything more than once before I noticed a screw stuck to the side of the woofer magnet. Another one was a screen over a woofer hole that had fallen  into the dust cap and you could not see it but you could hear it a certain frequencies.

48 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Never did get  real answer on the splitters did I.

I would not worry about the so called splitter witch is really a reflector, as short wavelengths bounce off the reflector they lose their cohesiveness as a wavefront emerging at various angles of phase canceling each other out . Same thing is happening when short wavelengths hit the sidewalls off the rear throat. These bends act as a series inductor killing high frequency response, its just part of the design.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally figured out another resonance creating thing on these LSI's. I had a second set doing the same thing and the answer turned out to be get rid of the Peavey metal outer rubber inner feet I had screwed to the bottoms. Replaced them with all rubber feet and 90% of the objectionable went away. This is of course after I had found the self inflicted wound of loose tweeters.